Trump Suggests Arming Teachers

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
Jered

Trump Suggests Arming Teachers

Post by Jered »

Story on CNN.
"This would be obviously only for people who were very adept at handling a gun, and it would be, it's called concealed carry, where a teacher would have a concealed gun on them. They'd go for special training and they would be there and you would no longer have a gun-free zone," Trump said. "Gun-free zone to a maniac -- because they're all cowards -- a gun-free zone is 'let's go in and let's attack because bullets aren't coming back at us.' "
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Rich Jordan

Re: Trump Suggests Arming Teachers

Post by Rich Jordan »

Greg Gutfeld (Fox News) wanted to look a nationwide 'hire retired military/police and other qualified' to become full time armed security at schools, and make the schools secure zones; limited and controlled access, etc.

Tyrus (cohost) was talking about extending TSA to schools. I hope not, TSA is not competent. But changing schools to be secure areas, given the continuing possibility of islamic terrorists and other bad actors, not just the occasional nutcase, means it would be actual insurance in such a situation.

IOW doing 'something' that might even help, as opposed to the current rage fest.
BDK

Post by BDK »

One of the few, good, things after 9/11, which didn't actually cost anything, was that food production places were given a status the name of which I've forgotten, but it meant more aggressive security was OK, and police were to respond more aggressively to people filming them/otherwise just acting weird.

I would think schools already have such a status, though.
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

An easy way would be to train willing teachers and staff as reserve officers/deputies. The framework is already in place, plus they would have sworn LEO powers.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

And of course pants were shat in the NYC media over the suggestion.
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

He is also suggesting raising the age to buy firearms to 21 and seems to be at least entertaining the idea of universal background checks.
randy

Post by randy »

Vonz90 wrote:He is also suggesting raising the age to buy firearms to 21...
I'm fine with that so long as they also raise the voting age, age of consent, majority/emancipation, "draft" etc. and standardize drinking to 21.

Either you is a full citizen, or you isn't.

This "3/5 of a man" crap was bullshit when first implemented back when (and look just how well that worked out), and we are creeping toward it again by incrementing your rights to arbitrary birth anniversaries.

If you're not mature enough to own weapons, choose when/what to drink, etc, then you are not mature enough to vote or be allowed to wander around without a keeper (parent/guardian/DI etc.)

Yes, I am aware that we already have this somewhat in place (18 for long guns, voting, etc, 21 for handguns, drinking (in most places I'm aware of) etc. And again, it's bullshit.

For the record, I have no problem with the age being 18 for everything. I just despise the concept of second class citizenship. It stinks of Jim Crow only with different criteria for the suppression of rights.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

I agree. The 25 for standard rate insurance also bothers me. At 24, I had a wife, kid, master's degree, and mortgage.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Rod

Post by Rod »

skb12172 wrote:I agree. The 25 for standard rate insurance also bothers me. At 24, I had a wife, kid, master's degree, and mortgage.
Makes it harder for insurance companies but they should examine the record of the prospective insuree first. They use actuarial tables to save themselves time and money.
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist