Reference help

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
slowpoke

Re: Reference help

Post by slowpoke »

Is she really capable of changing her mind about this subject due to logic, or is she looking for imformation to confirm her viewpoint?
Answer carefully, because there is a very different way to persuade based on the answer to that question. Your question assumes she is looking for information to logically come to her own conclusion, but her actions dont imply that.
If she is capable of changimg her mind on this subject due to logic and facts, a lot of the info given will help. If she is looking for info to confirm her decision you will need to sway her emotions to change her mind, then give her the info to confirm her new decision.
Best of luck.
"Islam delenda est" Aesop
AndytheAxe

Post by AndytheAxe »

She is open to changing her mind, she went to U Chicago and holds reason and fact as important and is willing to go where the facts lead, part of why im worried this is the first thing she's reading is that since she doesn't know much about 2A she'll take this dude at his word and the facts he presents as her baseline and I have to find good sources to show her he's wrong.

I've just ordered the Halbrook one from amazon.
"Of All the gin joints in All the Towns in All the World... she walks into mine" ~ Rick (Humphrey Bogart)
slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

AndytheAxe wrote:She is open to changing her mind, she went to U Chicago and holds reason and fact as important and is willing to go where the facts lead, part of why im worried this is the first thing she's reading is that since she doesn't know much about 2A she'll take this dude at his word and the facts he presents as her baseline and I have to find good sources to show her he's wrong.

Maybe try Penn and Tellers episode of Bullshit on the second amendment.
scipioafricanus

Post by scipioafricanus »

slowpoke wrote:
AndytheAxe wrote:She is open to changing her mind, she went to U Chicago and holds reason and fact as important and is willing to go where the facts lead, part of why im worried this is the first thing she's reading is that since she doesn't know much about 2A she'll take this dude at his word and the facts he presents as her baseline and I have to find good sources to show her he's wrong.

Maybe try Penn and Tellers episode of Bullshit on the second amendment.
Full Episode: https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ec7_1251312990
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

AndytheAxe wrote:she went to U Chicago and holds reason and fact as important and is willing to go where the facts lead
I have found that the first two bolded often have very little to do with the second two.. :ugeek: :mrgreen:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
scipioafricanus

HTRN wrote:
AndytheAxe wrote:she went to U Chicago and holds reason and fact as important and is willing to go where the facts lead
I have found that the first two bolded often have very little to do with the second two.. :ugeek: :mrgreen:
How dare you insult our former President who was a Lecturer there!
slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

HTRN wrote:
The reality is very few people are capable of following reason and fact. People are rationalizing, not rational. Using reason and fact just isn't persuasive to the vast majority of people. Thats why I suggesting using rhetoric and emotional arguements. Always fun to argue that guns and the second amendment are feminist concepts. They allow weaker women a chance to defend themselves against stronger men. Only anti feminists would support gun control, after all gun control is another way for the patriarchy to limit womens power by putting roadblocks up to women being armed when men need arming to a much smaller degree than women. You get the idea.
scipioafricanus

slowpoke wrote:
HTRN wrote:
The reality is very few people are capable of following reason and fact. People are rationalizing, not rational. Using reason and fact just isn't persuasive to the vast majority of people. Thats why I suggesting using rhetoric and emotional arguements. Always fun to argue that guns and the second amendment are feminist concepts. They allow weaker women a chance to defend themselves against stronger men. Only anti feminists would support gun control, after all gun control is another way for the patriarchy to limit womens power by putting roadblocks up to women being armed when men need arming to a much smaller degree than women. You get the idea.
Nice