Moore or Less in Alabama?

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
Vonz90
On a list somewhere

Moore or Less in Alabama?

Postby Vonz90 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:29 pm

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2 ... senate.php

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/45 ... y-make-him

A couple views on this, I have not seen much on the board here about him.

Obviously, I have no idea if the allegations about him are true or not, but they due seem to ring a bit and the way he hedges his denial seem suspicious to me. Balance that against the fact that I think he is a poor choice on a bunch of levels so I am ill disposed to him anyway.

I would rather he drop out since this should be a gimme election for any other Republican. If I was a resident though, I would probably pull the lever for him anyway under the assumption that he would not serve and be replaced by someone appointed by the Governor. Better that than a Dem for the balance of the term.

Termite
Probably Unemployed

Re: Moore or Less in Alabama?

Postby Termite » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:52 am

Whenever allegations of sexual offenses that are this old start surfacing, my BS meter starts chirping. It's not like Moore hasn't held political office in the past, so why didn't the allegations come up before now. Oh wait, he's a sure vote for a lot of Trump's idea in the US Senate.
Add to that the fact that the Washington Post reporters looked up the women, and not vise versa. PLUS, Gloria Allred has stuck her mug in the fray.

I'm not saying that Moore didn't did or do the things he is being accused of, I'm just saying the timing and situation is very suspect.

Things that make you go......Hmmmmmmm........ :ugeek:
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."

scipioafricanus
Loose Cannon

Postby scipioafricanus » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:27 pm

I will believe it when you can change the name to Bob Menendez, and everyone calls for him to resign.

Maybe the Washington Post can find the child prostitutes he frequented for an interview.
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka

First Shirt
Active Shooter

Postby First Shirt » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:26 pm

Moore wasn't my first choice, or even my tenth one (I was holding out for Jonathan McConnell, because having a Senator who is also a Class III dealer would be totally cool) but when Bitch McConjob endorsed Luther Strange, he made sure I was going to vote for Moore. We'd already been saddled with Richard Shelby, so there's no point in putting two RINOs in the Senate, and there isn't a nickle's worth of difference between Strange and Jones.

And the timing of the claims is pegging my BS meter in a big way, because they are entirely TOO convenient.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom

slowpoke
Trigger Junkie

Postby slowpoke » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:14 pm

First Shirt wrote:Moore wasn't my first choice, or even my tenth one (I was holding out for Jonathan McConnell, because having a Senator who is also a Class III dealer would be totally cool) but when Bitch McConjob endorsed Luther Strange, he made sure I was going to vote for Moore. We'd already been saddled with Richard Shelby, so there's no point in putting two RINOs in the Senate, and there isn't a nickle's worth of difference between Strange and Jones.

And the timing of the claims is pegging my BS meter in a big way, because they are entirely TOO convenient.

With all the “issues” with Moore in elected judicial position in AL, I expected if this was real for the left to have used this long ago to destroy him. But who knows?
"Islam delenda est" Aesop

First Shirt
Active Shooter

Postby First Shirt » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:11 pm

And somebody smarter than me has pointed out that if Moore's name was Robert Menendez (or if he had a D after his name), this wouldn't even be on the news.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom

Termite
Probably Unemployed

Postby Termite » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:17 pm

Bill Clinton weighs in on the issue.
Spoiler! :
"At least the women that I sexually assaulted were over 18."

clinton.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."

Vonz90
On a list somewhere

Postby Vonz90 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:46 pm

slowpoke wrote:
First Shirt wrote:Moore wasn't my first choice, or even my tenth one (I was holding out for Jonathan McConnell, because having a Senator who is also a Class III dealer would be totally cool) but when Bitch McConjob endorsed Luther Strange, he made sure I was going to vote for Moore. We'd already been saddled with Richard Shelby, so there's no point in putting two RINOs in the Senate, and there isn't a nickle's worth of difference between Strange and Jones.

With all the “issues” with Moore in elected judicial position in AL, I expected if this was real for the left to have used this long ago to destroy him. But who knows?

I am not sure, but it is not like the Dems would not sit on something like this until it was most advantaged to them to use it.

Of course, it is not like they would let the fact that it was false stop them either.

So ???

What particularly bothers me is that he cannot seem to deny it outright.

First Shirt
Active Shooter

Postby First Shirt » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:03 pm

Vonz90 wrote:I am not sure, but it is not like the Dems would not sit on something like this until it was most advantaged to them to use it.
Of course, it is not like they would let the fact that it was false stop them either.
So ???

He's said that it's politically motivated BS, and he's sued the Washington Post for slander. He's categorically denied all the charges. Don't know what else he could do, outside of seppuku on the capitol steps.

Again, I'm not a big fan of his, but he's head-and-shoulders above anyone else who is willing to put his neck on the block.
Lindy Cooper Wisdom

Vonz90
On a list somewhere

Postby Vonz90 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:11 pm

First Shirt wrote:
Vonz90 wrote:I am not sure, but it is not like the Dems would not sit on something like this until it was most advantaged to them to use it.
So ???

He's said that it's politically motivated BS, and he's sued the Washington Post for slander. He's categorically denied all the charges. Don't know what else he could do, outside of seppuku on the capitol steps.

Again, I'm not a big fan of his, but he's head-and-shoulders above anyone else who is willing to put his neck on the block.

What more could he do? How about when offered an opportunity to give a categorical denial on national television- give a categorical denial and not hum and haw and equivocate.

"Not generally, no," Moore answered. "If did, you know, I'm not going to dispute anything but I don't remember anything like that."

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video ... pened.html

Precision
Active Shooter

Postby Precision » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:09 am

Vonz90 wrote:
I would rather he drop out since this should be a gimme election for any other Republican. If I was a resident though, I would probably pull the lever for him anyway under the assumption that he would not serve and be replaced by someone appointed by the Governor. Better that than a Dem for the balance of the term.

You may already know this, but NO other Republican can get on the ballot. That date is passed. So if Moore drops out, it would be a WRITE IN effort for the Republican. Most likely that STRANGE bastard. Not to mention voters are stupid will not write in anyone...

He is being put in the position to prove a negative RIGHT WHEN MOST DIFFICULT for the nondemonrats to get another candidate in his place. Then out of nowhere, 5 women accuse him, staged over as many days. Not to mention he gets accused of the thing currently in the headlines with Harvey Whiner.

He may well have done it. But my BS meter is pegged. And like others have said, Senator Menudo - pedophile is getting ZERO attention for at least as ugly actions which we have documentable PROOF that he did at least some of them.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/

scipioafricanus
Loose Cannon

Postby scipioafricanus » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:30 am

Precision wrote:
Vonz90 wrote:

You may already know this, but NO other Republican can get on the ballot. That date is passed. So if Moore drops out, it would be a WRITE IN effort for the Republican. Most likely that STRANGE bastard. Not to mention voters are stupid will not write in anyone...

He is being put in the position to prove a negative RIGHT WHEN MOST DIFFICULT for the nondemonrats to get another candidate in his place. Then out of nowhere, 5 women accuse him, staged over as many days. Not to mention he gets accused of the thing currently in the headlines with Harvey Whiner.

He may well have done it. But my BS meter is pegged. And like others have said, Senator Menudo - pedophile is getting ZERO attention for at least as ugly actions which we have documentable PROOF that he did at least some of them.

Nah, just follow New Jersey's lead when they brought Lautenberg out of retirement.
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka

MiddleAgedKen
On a list somewhere

Postby MiddleAgedKen » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:11 am

Termite wrote:Bill Clinton weighs in on the issue.
Spoiler! :
"At least the women that I sexually assaulted were over 18."

Barring all those trips on the Lolita Express (for some of which he ditched his Secret Service detail), anyway. I guess it's the Bart Simpson defense for those.
Watergate didn't have a body count.

Rich
On a list somewhere

Postby Rich » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:50 am

When I was in High School, there were a couple of times I was accused of sexual shenanigans. As I went to a different High School each year (New Hampshire, Washington State, Virginia and South Carolina), there were just the two separate instances in space and time. What struck me the most was the differences in the accusations from what I remembered as the reality. Needless to say, nothing ever came of the accusations and they remained typical High School stuff.
A weak government usually remains a servant of citizens, while a strong government usually becomes the master of its subjects.
- paraphrased from several sources

A choice, not an echo. - Goldwater campaign, 1964

Termite
Probably Unemployed

Postby Termite » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:59 am

First Shirt wrote:.... he's sued the Washington Post for slander.

That's an uphill battle.

Media outlets have wide latitude in constitutionally protected free speech. Generally, editorial bias and one-sidedness are not enough to make a defamation case; specific facts need to be stated as true in the article, when in reality they are demonstrably false. Most media outlets are clever about using qualifiers such as "allegedly" or "reportedly" to avoid stating negative facts as truth for this very reason.

Return to “Politics, Law, and Justice”