Charlottesville Riot

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
Jered

Charlottesville Riot

Post by Jered »

Anyone following this story?
Clash between protesters and counter protesters. Police says "We'll not intervene until given command to do so."
According to the ACLU of Virginia's twitter feed.

The mayor is not a Trump fan.
“But when the tear gas started to fly, thrown by protesters, the police themselves began to evacuate then. I asked the guy who was in charge, “Where you going?” He said, “We’re leaving. It’s too dangerous.” They had a chance to nip this thing in the bud and they chose not to.“
Zerohedge coverage.

Zero hedge isn't necessarily the best source, but that link has a good aggregation of video of the incident.

Google docs link to the court motion.

News story about the court motion.

After reading about the first document, it's obvious these fools in charge of this city didn't learn anything from Berkeley. Who could have anticipated violence between the alt-right and the antifa? I mean, it's not like it hasn't happened before.

Here's a link to a screencap in a /pol/ thread that supposedly shows someone attacking this guy's car before the crash. Link.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Netpackrat

Re: Charlottesville Riot

Post by Netpackrat »

Who won?
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Jered

Post by Jered »

No one who we'd want.
George guy

Post by George guy »

Time to tear down everything in West Virginia named after Robert Byrd, then.
'Regulate' used to mean the opposite of 'constipate.'
Jered

Post by Jered »

Here, you can see what appears to be footage of someone smacking the car with a something

Pacific Press Agency has higher quality pictures. The person smacking the car is using a flag.

Here's a video of the incident..

4 seconds into it, you can see someone apparently hit the car with what the flag. I can't really tell what happens after that, but at some point, the guy's windshield gets broken. It doesn't look like there's enough damage to his car to have broken the windshield.

If only there was some way to anticipate that these protests might have gotten out of hand...
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

I would very much liked to have reclaimed some Redwings logos....
Termite

Post by Termite »

While I realize that the KKK has 1st Amendment rights too, it's kinda hard to feel sympathy when one of the bastards gets hurt at one of their marches. :roll:
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Termite wrote:While I realize that the KKK has 1st Amendment rights too, it's kinda hard to feel sympathy when one of the bastards gets hurt at one of their marches. :roll:
Agreed. My beef is with the police's reported behavior. I read a bit about this elsewhere, and it seems that the police stood by and did nothing while the antifas attacked the altrights. Then funneled the altrights into the antifas when they decided to shut it down. What a recipe for success. It's possible the reports I read were not accurate. Though I have no doubt they were biased.

The police either ought to be keeping the peace or just plain stay away. To stand by and watch seems a bit ... wrong.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Termite

Post by Termite »

Weetabix wrote:To stand by and watch seems a bit ... wrong.
I dunno.......I think I could watch, via remote television, the KKK vs Farakkan's bunch in a fight to the death, on a deserted island.

Hopefully there would be no survivors......... :roll:
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Jered

Post by Jered »

Weetabix wrote: Agreed. My beef is with the police's reported behavior. I read a bit about this elsewhere, and it seems that the police stood by and did nothing while the antifas attacked the altrights. Then funneled the altrights into the antifas when they decided to shut it down. What a recipe for success. It's possible the reports I read were not accurate. Though I have no doubt they were biased.

The police either ought to be keeping the peace or just plain stay away. To stand by and watch seems a bit ... wrong.
That's my biggest beef with this situation too.

Here and here are a couple of stories that claim that the police either just stood by and watched or actively funneled the altrights into the antifa when they decided to shut things down.
Attendees began attempting to leave via exits 1 & 2 and were set upon by antifa as they attempted to do so. After a quick consultation, a small group of rally headliners and attendees decided to engage in civil disobedience and get ourselves arrested, myself included.
That's from the Daily Caller article and is written by someone who was actually there.
Both exit stairs were defended by rally attendees with shields, and antifa skirmished with them at each stairway.
It sounds like the police actually pushed the peacefully assembled people into the group that was actually fighting against them.
We were respectful and informed them we would not resist arrest but we refused to leave the park willingly.
Police on the line did not say a word and refused to arrest us while shoving with their shields and swinging them at us.
After a few minutes of shoving, our line was pepper-sprayed from a cop behind the police shield wall, and our resistance crumbled.
Any use of force is a 4th Amendment seizure. If it was an unlawful assembly, how come the police didn't arrest these people when they refused to disperse?

The whole police response is a cluster.
We ran west on Market St, running a gauntlet of antifa throwing bottles, sticks, and rocks.
I followed them closely but then dropped back as the crowd hurled everything they had at another protest headliner, luckily missing with most of it
At that point the police had completely lost control of the city. The State of Emergency order meant that any public gathering was de facto illegal, but antifa were still allowed to roam freely bearing weapons and attacking people. This chaos ultimately led directly to the vehicular incident that killed a woman and badly injured more than a dozen others.