California Goes More Moonbat

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
Jered

California Goes More Moonbat

Post by Jered »

Effective July 1, gun owners with "high capacity magazines" have to surrender or dispose of them.
Sweeping new gun laws passed last year by California voters and legislators require those with magazines capable of holding more than 10 rounds of ammunition to get rid of them by July 1.
Some California courts are putting people in jail by mistake.
However, since then, the public defender’s office has filed approximately 2,000 motions informing the court that, due to its reportedly imperfect software, many of its clients have been forced to serve unnecessary jail time, be improperly arrested, or even wrongly registered as sex offenders.

Woods, Alameda County Court Executive Officer Chad Finke, and Tyler Technologies were not immediately available for comment.

UPDATE June 29 5:20pm ET: Finke sent Ars an e-mail earlier on Thursday, responding to our query as to how the efforts to resolve the ongoing errors has gone.

"The current backlog is right around 1,000 cases, so it has come down quite a bit. And I would say that yes, the rate of errors has dropped quite a bit as well," he wrote.
Has anyone in the state of California ever heard of the 5th Amendment?
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Kommander

Re: California Goes More Moonbat

Post by Kommander »

The magazine thing has been stopped, for now, by a federal judge. As fore the other issue I would guess that the courts will deal with that as well, and some people are looking at some rather healthy payouts by the state.
evan price

Post by evan price »

Kommander wrote:The magazine thing has been stopped, for now, by a federal judge. As fore the other issue I would guess that the courts will deal with that as well, and some people are looking at some rather healthy payouts by the state.
Payouts?
Naah.
Administrative mistakes happen and they will disallow it.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Kommander wrote:The magazine thing has been stopped, for now, by a federal judge. As fore the other issue I would guess that the courts will deal with that as well, and some people are looking at some rather healthy payouts by the state.
Expect that to last only until it gets in front of the 9th circus :ugeek:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
g-man

Post by g-man »

At which point those clowns will rule as we expect them to, and the same thing that would have occurred when this was first supposed to go into effect will happen.

Jack, and sh*t. And Jack left town.

CA cop from the wife's book of face was notably happy about the federal judge's ruling. And appropriately so, as it means cops don't have to try and go enforce stupid laws that are of the 'might encounter highly-trained armed resistance to enforcement' variety.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

g-man wrote:CA cop from the wife's book of face was notably happy about the federal judge's ruling. And appropriately so, as it means cops don't have to try and go enforce stupid laws that are of the 'might encounter highly-trained armed resistance to enforcement' variety.
The story (probably recounted here) goes that when Dan Lungren or somebody floated the "AW" confiscation trial balloon around '99-2000, he was quietly advised by the head of the California state police to go sleep it off. "I am not interested in feeding my officers into a meat grinder," or words to that effect.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Just saw this article at TFB. It's basically a summary of all the new ammo laws, but the one that interested me was a background check to purchase ammunition. Does that mean a NICS check?

I wonder if that will be used to inflate gun sales claims. A lot more ammo purchases are made than gun purchases.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
g-man

Post by g-man »

One of the Airmen waiting in the personnel office on Travis when I was there to get a new ID was bitching about background checks for ammo. All I could think was: "I'm really glad I found all that .22lr when I came back from Hawaii... I have enough that I can afford to go shoot and not have to worry about replacing it."

Good luck enforcing the 'high-capacity' turn-in. The background check for ammo sales however... I see the stores in NV, UT, and AZ having a bump in their sales in the near future.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

It also said bringing it across state lines was a misdemeanor. :roll:
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

I foresee CA state cops hanging out the parking lots of big guns stores in NV and AZ, taking down LP numbers, and calling them in for stops on the CA side of the line. Much like MA cops used to do outside NH liquor stores.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus