The Trump Administration: Day One

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
Vonz90

Re: The Trump Administration: Day One

Post by Vonz90 »

Jericho941 wrote:
Vonz90 wrote:If you want to take it as a negative, then you don't understand it.

There are two parts of it, get people in jobs that you can trust to do a job without micromanaging them, and then give them the goals and let them do it.

What is not to like (unless you a tasked based kind of guy, which is fine, but limiting.)
It rang hollow based on past observation in the workplace. I've seen too many leaders assign a vague task and then blow up when they're asked for clarification. The end result is that people try to "show initiative" by not seeking clarification, and then the leader is once again left dumbfounded and angry that they didn't get exactly what they wanted. They don't learn, and in their mind it's because they're the ones dealing with hapless idiots who can't or won't learn, the buffoons that can only be motivated by pitching a fit. Meanwhile, other people in their position get efficient work out of the same employees without behaving as though asking about the task at hand is a personal affront.

Taking the encyclopedia scenario, for example, I find it more likely to play out more like this:
"Please look in the encyclopedia and make a brief memorandum for me concerning the life of some Renaissance fellow. His name starts with C-O.” And because the clerk has worked with you for fifteen minutes, he knows he had better quietly say, “Yes, sir,” and go do the task. Then, of course, the blithering idiot comes back to you with a memorandum about the life of Copernicus, not Correggio like you clearly wanted. On top of that, he's submitted it in the standard company format, not the format you personally prefer. Good help is impossible to find.
Maybe I've just had exceptionally bad luck with employers and Hubbard had exceptionally bad luck with employees. I would certainly agree that employees that show initiative and don't need to be micromanaged are good (required, even), but I strongly disagree with the notion that they're that hard to find, or nigh-impossible to cultivate. I certainly didn't get anything about allowing employees to accomplish set goals from the essay, since it seems fully dedicated to whining about how he needs to hire somebody to club and kick employees to make them useful.
What you describe is a miss application of the concept. The idea is that having told someone what to do, they should be able to figure out the how. It is basically objective based leadership boiled down.

It is, I think, harder to find than you may think especially for more complex or ambiguous projects. I do not know for certain, but I imagine that considering the changes in society since then, it is quite likely that it was much harder to find such people then.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

What will Orange Santa bring us next week?
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
AlaskaTRX

Post by AlaskaTRX »

Netpackrat wrote:What will Orange Santa bring us next week?
I don't know which is better - that he is fulfilling his campaign promises or the left's heads exploding in the aftermath?!?!? :lol:
Denis

Post by Denis »

Hard to disapprove of this behavior:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/ ... 1-15-54-04

Makes him look more presidential in his first month than the previous guy managed in eight years.
FelixEstrella

Post by FelixEstrella »

Denis wrote:Hard to disapprove of this behavior:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/ ... 1-15-54-04

Makes him look more presidential in his first month than the previous guy managed in eight years.
Much as I applaud this action, hopefully his policies won't result in him being too busy in this regard.
"Luck is where you find it—but to find it you have to look for it" -- Eugene Fluckey.
Blogspot
picsig
slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

Well after one year of President Trump, he has accomplished more of a conservative agenda than Reagan did in his first year, even though the Republican party has been fighting him the whole way. The corruption of the previous administration is coming to light, something I gave only 30% odds of. Honestly no other candidate could have done as much as he has in face of the “resistance.”
"Islam delenda est" Aesop
Rich

Post by Rich »

Until the opposition is figuratively swinging from the lampposts (not literally, though I really wouldn't mind), said opposition can still recover.

We need convictions , on the record convictions. The higher placed in the opposition the better. :twisted:
A weak government usually remains a servant of citizens, while a strong government usually becomes the master of its subjects.
- paraphrased from several sources

A choice, not an echo. - Goldwater campaign, 1964
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

I think I'd be okay with the wrong-doers swinging from lampposts.

"We're gonna give you a fair trial, followed by a first-class hanging."
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

Take with a salt lick, but suposedly the number of federal sealed indictments is over six times the normal in the past year. Normally there are a couple thousand per year and over ten thousand last year. Just rumor i’ve read haven’t verified myself.
http://investmentwatchblog.com/updated- ... of-the-us/
"Islam delenda est" Aesop
Greg

Post by Greg »

Interesting to come back after a while, and see what held up and what didn't.

The NeverTrump crowd isn't looking good. Seems they were owned (as in, had a hidden master) even worse than we thought possible. How else to explain the, um, antics, of Jeff Flake and Bill Kristol and such?

Outing them has been as big a service as any Trump has performed.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr