The forgotten branch of government.

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
Rich

Re: The forgotten branch of government.

Post by Rich »

Actually, I was thinking more of laws that can be applied to thee, but not to me. And this whole having to vote on a provision before you can read it fiasco the Dem's dreamed up. And start using sunset provisions on some of these taxation sprees. :geek:
A weak government usually remains a servant of citizens, while a strong government usually becomes the master of its subjects.
- paraphrased from several sources

A choice, not an echo. - Goldwater campaign, 1964
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

I liked some of Heinlein's suggestions, like having a legislative house whose sole purpose was to overturn laws, and could do so with less than a majority vote. The thought (and I'm paraphrasing; its been too long since I read The Moon is a Harsh Mistress) was if a law couldn't command the support of at least 1/3rd of the populace, it didn't deserve to be a law.
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

Rich wrote:Actually, I was thinking more of laws that can be applied to thee, but not to me. And this whole having to vote on a provision before you can read it fiasco the Dem's dreamed up. And start using sunset provisions on some of these taxation sprees. :geek:
The harshest and most stringent laws (or at least the consequences for violating them) should be applied primarily to elected officials and government employees. Gross malfeasance in a position of trust is the next thing to treason and should be treated and punished as such. All those corrupt officials languishing in club Fed prisons should be on death row instead. I'd also exclude them from executive pardons...

Some protection might be needed to prevent the dems (or admittedly some repubs) from using these laws to take out innocent opponents with extreme prejudice...

You know damn well the first thing the hildebeast will say if she wins is "well, pardon me! Oh, and Bill too... "
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

+1 to what Pawpaw said.

What we really need to reboot our system is what Mark Levin proposes in The Liberty Amendments, and the Convention of States proposes in a slightly different but mostly the same manner. That is the only way I see left to us to try and fix this mess, short of the ammo box.
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
McClarkus

Post by McClarkus »

Rich Jordan wrote:
Rich wrote:Actually, I was thinking more of laws that can be applied to thee, but not to me. And this whole having to vote on a provision before you can read it fiasco the Dem's dreamed up. And start using sunset provisions on some of these taxation sprees. :geek:
The harshest and most stringent laws (or at least the consequences for violating them) should be applied primarily to elected officials and government employees. Gross malfeasance in a position of trust is the next thing to treason and should be treated and punished as such. All those corrupt officials languishing in club Fed prisons should be on death row instead. I'd also exclude them from executive pardons...

Some protection might be needed to prevent the dems (or admittedly some repubs) from using these laws to take out innocent opponents with extreme prejudice...

You know damn well the first thing the hildebeast will say if she wins is "well, pardon me! Oh, and Bill too... "

Yes, well, speaking of Billy, There are sex crimes and then there are sex crimes done by people in "positions of trust" which amplify the penalty. These should be applied across the board
One secret to life. Step #1 - Find something you enjoy doing. Step #2 - Find someone foolish enough to pay you to do it.
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

Rich Jordan wrote:I liked some of Heinlein's suggestions, like having a legislative house whose sole purpose was to overturn laws, and could do so with less than a majority vote. The thought (and I'm paraphrasing; its been too long since I read The Moon is a Harsh Mistress) was if a law couldn't command the support of at least 1/3rd of the populace, it didn't deserve to be a law.
I liked this idea as well. A bill needed a 2/3 majority to pass the one house and become a law and in the other house a 1/3 minority is all that was required to repeal a law. The only issue I can see with this, at least on the surface, is that the two houses could enter a constant cycle of passing and repealing the same law(s), which would be awful silly.
randy

Post by randy »

Kommander wrote:I liked this idea as well. A bill needed a 2/3 majority to pass the one house and become a law and in the other house a 1/3 minority is all that was required to repeal a law. The only issue I can see with this, at least on the surface, is that the two houses could enter a constant cycle of passing and repealing the same law(s), which would be awful silly.
I can live with silly as long as it slows down the amount of sticking their nose into my business. Of course I consider gridlock a feature, not a bug and "do nothing Congress" a goal. And would not look askance at establishing a BuSab
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

randy wrote:
Kommander wrote:I liked this idea as well. A bill needed a 2/3 majority to pass the one house and become a law and in the other house a 1/3 minority is all that was required to repeal a law. The only issue I can see with this, at least on the surface, is that the two houses could enter a constant cycle of passing and repealing the same law(s), which would be awful silly.
I can live with silly as long as it slows down the amount of sticking their nose into my business. Of course I consider gridlock a feature, not a bug and "do nothing Congress" a goal. And would not look askance at establishing a BuSab
What Randy said. It's kind of the whole point.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
George guy

Post by George guy »

Kommander wrote: I liked this idea as well. A bill needed a 2/3 majority to pass the one house and become a law and in the other house a 1/3 minority is all that was required to repeal a law. The only issue I can see with this, at least on the surface, is that the two houses could enter a constant cycle of passing and repealing the same law(s), which would be awful silly.
The simple solution to that would be to let one house pass the bill with a 2-year sunset, but leave the other house to renew it every two years thereafter.. Maybe let it go on a 5-year schedule once it holds up for 10 years. The only hiccup there is that the first house might be tempted to repackage a bill and try to pass it off as a different one, to circumvent the review procedure. Which would necessitate making that act a felony, which wouldn't mean anything unless someone is prepared to enforce it.

Which brings us back to BuSab.

My ideal system would involve a primarily volunteer service, overseen by State and Federal level boards of commissioners drawn from the jury pool every 2-4 years, with the authority to appoint prosecuting attorneys.
'Regulate' used to mean the opposite of 'constipate.'
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

Kommander wrote:
Rich Jordan wrote:I liked some of Heinlein's suggestions, like having a legislative house whose sole purpose was to overturn laws, and could do so with less than a majority vote. The thought (and I'm paraphrasing; its been too long since I read The Moon is a Harsh Mistress) was if a law couldn't command the support of at least 1/3rd of the populace, it didn't deserve to be a law.
I liked this idea as well. A bill needed a 2/3 majority to pass the one house and become a law and in the other house a 1/3 minority is all that was required to repeal a law. The only issue I can see with this, at least on the surface, is that the two houses could enter a constant cycle of passing and repealing the same law(s), which would be awful silly.
I'm good with this idea, as long as a "clean bill" requirement is enacted first. No more poison-pilling, or attaching riders.