"Second Amendment People"

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
randy

Re: "Second Amendment People"

Post by randy »

PawPaw wrote: What should the party do between now and then to make sure that they have a fair shot at winning it?
Assuming the Republican party, as it exists today, is even around by then.

I'm sure there will be a political party using the name "Republican", I'm not sure how many other parties might split off from it after the coming sh*tstorm.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

MiddleAgedKen wrote:The plan was for this to be Jeb!'s turn, with Rubio on deck for next time.
I disagree with this. They were both fighting for the same donors - the ones that cared the most about electability / the chamber of commerce types. One thought Jeb's brand name would work, others did not consider any Bush electable this cycle - which is why they decided on Marco early. There was a lot of bad blood between them.

As it was, they kind of split the moderate vote which is part of the reason that Trump had an advantage in the early going. By the time they were both out, the only viable option against Trump was Cruz, and that wing really hates Cruz.

No Trump in the race, it probably comes down to Cruz vs Rubio. I by far prefer Cruz on that, but I could at least hold my nose and vote Rubio.

In the end, the GOP is having our McGovern election. I think there is room to recover (because the people who supported Trump will suddenly all forget that they did) but we do need some structural reform. The Dems did it with super-delegates. That is actually not an unreasonable way to look at it.

I think eliminating open primaries and winner take all primaries would be a good start. Perhaps only giving delegates proportionally to the top 3 or 4 in each state to encourage the bottom tier to drop out early. Also an anti-stalking horse provision such that no one will be allowed in debates if they have a history of supporting Dems (certainly donating to the presumptive Dem nominee would do it).

The current system was designed to split and eliminate conservatives because the establishment types could not imaging a challenge from the left / disaffected side. Well they got it.
Rich

Post by Rich »

Vote for Reagan. Sure, he's dead, but that is where this discussion is leading us.

We need to start trying to figure out why the Democrats can stay united with the seriously flawed cast of characters they run time after time, and the Republicans self destruct time after time,
A weak government usually remains a servant of citizens, while a strong government usually becomes the master of its subjects.
- paraphrased from several sources

A choice, not an echo. - Goldwater campaign, 1964
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Trump won because so many other's that never should have got in and stayed in too long. Whether that was hubris or a party organized tactic doesn't much matter at this point. Then came Cruz's stretch run and the (hack, spit) putz Kasich.

Scott Walker was right when he bowed out and exhorted others to do the same.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
scipioafricanus

Post by scipioafricanus »

Netpackrat wrote:Lib at work here started to say something, and then I replied that we have the best grassroots and lobby in all of politics, which seems to have shut him down. He's a gun owner himself though, so I doubt he was really looking for that fight.
Correction: "The Gays" are number 1.
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

scipioafricanus wrote:
Netpackrat wrote:Lib at work here started to say something, and then I replied that we have the best grassroots and lobby in all of politics, which seems to have shut him down. He's a gun owner himself though, so I doubt he was really looking for that fight.
Nope. Of non-business related lobbies, AARP is the boss.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

rightisright wrote:
scipioafricanus wrote:
Nope. Of non-business related lobbies, AARP is the boss.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Rod

Post by Rod »

Rich wrote:Vote for Reagan. Sure, he's dead, but that is where this discussion is leading us.

We need to start trying to figure out why the Democrats can stay united with the seriously flawed cast of characters they run time after time, and the Republicans self destruct time after time,
Because they have the media in their pocket. It's not that hard to do when the media covers up every scandal, lies, and literally kisses the Democrats' asses.
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist
Johnnyreb

Post by Johnnyreb »

The press chanted Trump can't win about 16 times with lots of nice charts and statistics and were dead wrong every time. And now they are chanting Trump won't win with lots of nice charts and statistics. So why are so many believing them this time? Even Fox news stuck a big chart on their website claiming Trump has no chance.

I'm not going to waste my time believing them this time.

And I think Trump was dead right about saying the Dems would rig the election against him any way they could. He should have said the GOP would be doing the same. What's going to happen if Trump loses and there are lots of districts with zero votes for Trump like what happened in 2012? You think he'll just roll over and play dead like the GOP did when they announced they would contest nothing before the winner was even called?

I don't expect Trump to be what I would want him to be. I know he's not "conservative." But I want him to win because both parties deserve to absolutely LOSE and he is the only one, the only one since Reagan, who got in through a brokered convention that can't happen any more because they changed the rules to make sure it would not, who was not hand picked to run by political scum. He is the only chance there is for anything to change for the better in Washington.

The Fox news site keeps happily announcing every Republican office holder that says they will vote for Hillary, but nothing is said of their being kicked out of the party for endorsing the enemy. Probably because they haven't been. They WERE the most trusted network, but they've thrown that away this year.

Just keep in mind that all this "He's dangerous" crap they keep repeating as a mantra? That's what they said about Reagan in 1980 and for 4 full years after that.
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

Trump *is* dangerous. His comments about monetary policy, authoritarian policies, and trade policies should scare the bejesus out of everyone here.
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL