More ITAR BS

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
Windy Wilson

Re: More ITAR BS

Post by Windy Wilson »

Weetabix wrote:This part:
e) Attachment of accessories to a completed firearm without drilling, cutting, or machining—such as attaching a scope, sling, or light to existing mounts or hooks, or attaching a flash suppressor, sound suppressor, muzzle brake, or similar item to a pre- threaded muzzle;
sounds like I can't attach Uncle Mike's sling studs to an old .22.

Are they serious?
Never mind the sling studs, what will keep them from interpreting prohibited gunsmithing to include swapping your M1907 sling for one from Turner Saddlery because the old one stretched and the holes tore?
This regulation translated to automobiles sounds like they're including the changing of an air filter on a 1975 GM car with a V8 engine.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

Weetabix wrote:This part:
e) Attachment of accessories to a completed firearm without drilling, cutting, or machining—such as attaching a scope, sling, or light to existing mounts or hooks, or attaching a flash suppressor, sound suppressor, muzzle brake, or similar item to a pre- threaded muzzle;
sounds like I can't attach Uncle Mike's sling studs to an old .22.

Are they serious?
That is under the not manufacturing, don't need to register section. Unless of course you need to drill and tap for the studs....

I agree it's just more of the regulate everything we can because the government is hungry and must grow. Guns are an easier target because you can scare people with them so that they agree that they need the government to protect them from the scary guns.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

It occurs to me that my gunsmith can still re-thread my EVO barrel to 1/2-28 without paying ITAR, based on the language about providing an enhanced capability... Barrel is already threaded, and 18mm adapters for my can are available; I just don't want to use them. So the work wouldn't actually provide an enhanced capability. :ugeek:
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop