More ITAR BS

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
Netpackrat

More ITAR BS

Post by Netpackrat »

Looks as though they are trying to apply it to basic gunsmithing services now.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2016072 ... un-control
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Netpackrat

Re: More ITAR BS

Post by Netpackrat »

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

Total BS. So much for ever doing any gunsmithing for anyone but myself.
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
Durham68

Post by Durham68 »

Isn't ITAR intended to limit foreign bad guys from getting the latest and greatest small arms tech directly from US sellers? What on earth does that have to do with barrel threading?
"Unattended children will be given an espresso and a puppy"
g-man

Post by g-man »

On the other hand, DDTC contends that gunsmithing includes only very simple procedures, such as the one-for-one drop-in replacement of parts that do not require cutting, drilling, or machining for installation.
Last I checked that was generally called "user level maintenance".

This is what one should point out when "Common sense gun regulation" people harp about shit. Also:
The AECA/ITAR require anybody who engages in the business of “manufacturing” a defense article to register with DDTC and pay a registration fee that for new applicants is currently $2,250 per year. These requirements apply, even if the business does not, and does not intend to, export any defense article. Moreover, under ITAR, “only one occasion of manufacturing … a defense article” is necessary for a commercial entity to be considered “engaged in the business” and therefore subject to the regime’s requirements.
This appears to me to be going after the 80% lower folks, because the commerce clause doesn't give them enough access to fuck with people.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

So let's say I get an 01 FFL for the purposes of gunsmithing at the "armorer replacement" level. Advertise for Apex kits, Glock connectors, whatever.

And maybe happen to own a lathe and mill. Are they going to shoot my dog and launch the burners?
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

This is just a hearty "screw you" from Obama to the gun community.

And, the level of hype and hyperbole among the internet community is amazing. While I agree that it's an outrage, we shouldn't let our level of outrage approach the RCOB. We've got to keep our heads about us.

For example, I doubt that the feds are going to break into my garage and arrest me the next time I"m loading .30-06 ammo.

This is another in the continuing harassment of the Obama administration. Don't get your panties in a wad, Vote.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

It's far more than just a nuisance... This will run a lot of folks who do gunsmithing as a side business out of the industry, with Uncle Sam taking thousands of dollars per year out of their pockets before they've even done any work. Prepare for higher prices and longer waits to get anything done by shops that are big enough to absorb the ITAR cost. I could easily see the gunsmith who has done most of my barrel work deciding to throw in the towel and just repair machinery over this, and if that happens I can also say goodbye to the inexpensive transfers I was getting, since he won't have much reason to keep an FFL, either.

The feds busting you in your garage for loading .30-06 ammo for yourself may seem like a stretch, since you probably don't see yourself as being "in the business of" manufacturing ammunition. However, I kind of doubt that Roscoe Filburn saw himself as affecting interstate commerce... As correctly stated, this is a big FU to the gun industry, so we can expect it to be interpreted and enforced in the most unfavorable way possible.
Last edited by Netpackrat on Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

PawPaw wrote:For example, I doubt that the feds are going to break into my garage and arrest me the next time I"m loading .30-06 ammo.

This is another in the continuing harassment of the Obama administration. Don't get your panties in a wad, Vote.
You miss the point. It's just another law the us.gov can use to get us peasants to stay in line.

They won't break into your garage, but they will task you with breaking into my garage looking for drugs, untaxed alcohol, unlicensed MGs, etc.

Your orders will be to arrest me because someone in the DA office got a tip that I'm a bad guy.

If you don't find something on that laundry list, you will certainly find evidence that I have tools and parts for unlicensed gunsmithing.

At which point, if I "resist arrest" you will shoot me.

That is how all this unwinds.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Netpackrat wrote: As correctly stated, this is a big FU to the gun industry, so we can expect it to be interpreted and enforced in the most unfavorable way possible.
You sir are incorrect. This is a big wet kiss to the big part of the gun industry because it raises the cost for the little guy and the big guys have to do this crap anyway.