More LEOs Behaving Badly

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
rightisright
Posts: 4274
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:41 pm

Re: More LEOs Behaving Badly

Post by rightisright » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:14 pm

MarkD wrote:
I don't know if it's still done, but double-dipping used to be a thing in the NYC departments, for instance join the fire department at 20, retire at 40, join the police department, retire again at 60, get two pensions. Likewise was done with MTA (bus/subway) and Sanitation. Plus, in all cases pension amounts were determined by average of last three years pay, including overtime, and the shop steward decided who got overtime, so short-timers pulled TONS of OT. Case in point was a bus-driver I knew, he'd make TWO bus runs of an hour each, ten hours apart, get paid for 12 hours, four of which was time-and-a-half because it was OT. Unless it was a weekend or holiday, then the WHOLE thing was double-time, so he'd actually work for two hours and get paid for 24. Year after year in NYC the highest paid NYC employee is either a bus-driver or subway operator, usually bringing in somewhere around 250K.

It's rampant in NJ.

http://watchdog.org/77422/stick-em-up-i ... te-police/

And it's even worse at the local levels. In fact, in the town I grew up in, the police chief retired w. full pension and was then promptly hired as the Township Administrator.

User avatar
PawPaw
Posts: 4493
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: More LEOs Behaving Badly

Post by PawPaw » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:38 pm

Those local gov pensions sure are lucrative. I retired from the State of Louisiana after 20 years, and I get $800/mo. It's easy to live on that, which is why I went to work for another agency. In another three or four years, I can retire again.

Oh, and for the record, we don't consider the TSA retards as law enforcement.
Last edited by PawPaw on Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House

User avatar
First Shirt
Posts: 4373
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:32 pm

Re: More LEOs Behaving Badly

Post by First Shirt » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:40 pm

Yeah, but there's a limit to the amount of government foolishness Louisiana will put up with. Not so much California, or the Left Coast.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom

User avatar
Termite
Posts: 8738
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:32 am

Re: More LEOs Behaving Badly

Post by Termite » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:04 pm

First Shirt wrote:Yeah, but there's a limit to the amount of government foolishness Louisiana will put up with.
I dunno.....

Starting today, Louisiana seat belt violation fines went from $25 to $50. And it applies for ALL occupants, not just those in the front seat.

On the plus side, municipalities now are required to post signs for red light and speed cameras, and there are no speed cameras on interstates.

Also, speed camera and red light camera tickets are a civil violation issued to the registered owner of the car; by Redflex or other private company on behalf of the municipality. There is no legal penalty for non-payment.
I've gotten one in Lafayette for driving 6 mph over the posted limit. The posted limit was 35mph, dropped to 30mph by the camera, then went back to 35mph just past the camera. I ignored the notices.
Mrs Termite got one several years ago in New Orleans. We also ignored it, after talking with a traffic attorney in New Orleans.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."

User avatar
Jered
Posts: 7271
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:30 am

Re: More LEOs Behaving Badly

Post by Jered » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:54 am

Jered wrote:Here's a story with less hyperbole.

She got a bunch of money from the hospital and a bunch of money from the feds.
And...in reference to my previous post Read here, starting at about page 20, if you want to be royally pissed.

By policy at least three managers had to be involved in this fiasco.

Sounds like some people down there need to be shitcanned and then thrown in prison.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.

User avatar
D5CAV
Posts: 1998
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:48 am

Re: More LEOs Behaving Badly

Post by D5CAV » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:31 am

PawPaw wrote:Those local gov pensions sure are lucrative. I retired from the State of Louisiana after 20 years, and I get $800/mo. It's easy to live on that, which is why I went to work for another agency. In another three or four years, I can retire again.

Oh, and for the record, we don't consider the TSA retards as law enforcement.
I can't help it that you didn't have the foresight to get your pension from the Massachusetts, California, or NYC police departments!

I know I pick on you, but it's to illustrate a point, as you are our token "out of the closet" LEO.

From your comments, you seem to be a principled man. I like to think there is a point you will turn in your badge and tell your department to shove their pension if faced with an egregious enough arrest.

I hope there are more LEOs, both local and federal, who will go that direction, rather than "follow orders" to keep their job, as was the common refrain at Nuremberg.

Like I said, I believe the problem is bad laws rather than bad cops. I hope I am right.

And by the way, TSA are Federal law enforcement. I can get away with more dealing with a local cop than any Federal LEO, whether TSA or Fish & Wildlife. There are a whole pile of federal statutes I can trip over if I'm ever unfortunate enough to cross some Federal LEO.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

User avatar
Jered
Posts: 7271
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:30 am

Re: More LEOs Behaving Badly

Post by Jered » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:35 am

D5CAV wrote: And by the way, TSA are Federal law enforcement. I can get away with more dealing with a local cop than any Federal LEO, whether TSA or Fish & Wildlife. There are a whole pile of federal statutes I can trip over if I'm ever unfortunate enough to cross some Federal LEO.
TSA is not law enforcement.

:roll:
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.

User avatar
D5CAV
Posts: 1998
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:48 am

Re: More LEOs Behaving Badly

Post by D5CAV » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:46 am

Jered wrote:
D5CAV wrote: And by the way, TSA are Federal law enforcement. I can get away with more dealing with a local cop than any Federal LEO, whether TSA or Fish & Wildlife. There are a whole pile of federal statutes I can trip over if I'm ever unfortunate enough to cross some Federal LEO.
TSA is not law enforcement.

:roll:
In my encounter, they claimed they had arrest powers and they had handcuffs. What do you call them, then?

"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet" William Shakespeare
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

User avatar
HTRN
Posts: 11037
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:05 am

Re: More LEOs Behaving Badly

Post by HTRN » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:14 pm

rightisright wrote:
He's talking about the standard 25 years and out with huge retirement pension and bennies that make it more lucrative to retire than continue working. I have a friend who is two years younger than me. At 20, he became a cop in a peaceful little town in NJ. He retired at 45. He now gets 60K a year and bennies galore.
Amateur - the rank and file of the nypd and fdny have made gaming the retirement rules an art form. Just recently, there was an article explaining how the average firefighter now made almost 120 grand in benefits, with a dozen topping 200k.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt

rightisright
Posts: 4274
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:41 pm

Re: More LEOs Behaving Badly

Post by rightisright » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:31 pm

HTRN wrote:
rightisright wrote:
He's talking about the standard 25 years and out with huge retirement pension and bennies that make it more lucrative to retire than continue working. I have a friend who is two years younger than me. At 20, he became a cop in a peaceful little town in NJ. He retired at 45. He now gets 60K a year and bennies galore.
Amateur - the rank and file of the nypd and fdny have made gaming the retirement rules an art form. Just recently, there was an article explaining how the average firefighter now made almost 120 grand in benefits, with a dozen topping 200k.
I'm sure the NYC guys get paid more.

My foreman's son is 22 and is in good shape and fairly bright. My career advice to him was to become a firefighter in a small city. 48 hours on (most spent at the firehouse) then 5 days off in some departments. Retire then start a business or something. There is a local painting company made up of firemen who paint on their days off. No one can beat their prices because they are already making a healthy 6 figures at their main jobs.

My good friend and plumber has steered his son away from plumbing and toward becoming a cop in their small town. Four 10 hour shifts then 4 days off. Starting pay is 50K. Not bad for a 19 year old kid. After 5 years, he'll easily be making 6 figures w. some overtime.

Hell, this is NJ. The state of perpetual road work. Law requires at least one cop on site for road work of even small significance. A guy w. 10 years in gets paid $85 an hour to sit in his patrol car w. the lights on while he surfs the net.

Post Reply