GOP Sells America Down The River

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
Denis

Re: GOP Sells America Down The River

Post by Denis »

Gentlefolks, you seem to have aired your feelings extensively. Could you now please agree that particular horse has expired and stop beating it?
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Thanks!

I was starting to feel like the guy who drives past car crashes at 5 mph, rubbernecking. You know you shouldn't, but you just can't help yourself.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Yeah, pretty hard to top Aesop's last.

:)
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

henrybowman wrote:
Yes, I know about his past, and yes Nixon was God Awful that being said his stance on the issues and predictions have proven to be more and more on target as they world goes up in flames.
Umm, no. Nixon was tough talking about a number of things and did a couple of non-stupid thing foreign policy wise (because Kissinger) but he was actually quite on the Left. That is part of the reason why the lefty Dems hated him so much was because he stole their thunder and beat them (politically) with it. He hated Goldwater, Reagan and WFB and got his economic advice directly from John Maynard Keynes (with whom he was quite friendly).

His accomplishments were:

1. Clean air act
2. Established EPA
3. Established OSHA
4. First to use affirmative action to establish racial hiring quotas
5. Tried (but failed) to establish an employer health insurance mandate
6. Proposed a total ban on civilian handgun ownership, "I don't know why any individual should have a right to have a revolver in his house, can't we go after handguns? People should not have handguns." R.M. Nixon May 16, 1972
7. Liberal Supreme Court Judges appointed: Warren E. Burger, Harry Blackmun and Lewis F. Powell. (Also William Rehnquist - we can debate that one a bit).

So, the lesson here is that just because someone bloviates some vaguely conservative sounding crap now and then and pisses off bed wetting leftist in the media does not mean that they are on your side.

Now who in the current crop of candidates could that apply too? Hmm, it is not quite coming to mind.

Also, read a book or two.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Vonz90 wrote:
henrybowman wrote:
Yes, I know about his past, and yes Nixon was God Awful that being said his stance on the issues and predictions have proven to be more and more on target as they world goes up in flames.
Umm, no. Nixon was tough talking about a number of things and did a couple of non-stupid thing foreign policy wise (because Kissinger) but he was actually quite on the Left. That is part of the reason why the lefty Dems hated him so much was because he stole their thunder and beat them (politically) with it. He hated Goldwater, Reagan and WFB and got his economic advice directly from John Maynard Keynes (with whom he was quite friendly).

His accomplishments were:

1. Clean air act
2. Established EPA
3. Established OSHA
4. First to use affirmative action to establish racial hiring quotas
5. Tried (but failed) to establish an employer health insurance mandate
6. Proposed a total ban on civilian handgun ownership, "I don't know why any individual should have a right to have a revolver in his house, can't we go after handguns? People should not have handguns." R.M. Nixon May 16, 1972
7. Liberal Supreme Court Judges appointed: Warren E. Burger, Harry Blackmun and Lewis F. Powell. (Also William Rehnquist - we can debate that one a bit).

So, the lesson here is that just because someone bloviates some vaguely conservative sounding crap now and then and pisses off bed wetting leftist in the media does not mean that they are on your side.

Now who in the current crop of candidates could that apply too? Hmm, it is not quite coming to mind.

Also, read a book or two.
I see not enough people paid attention to that Jack Sparrow meme I posted, that mentioned a few of Trump's campaign donations.

When you're sufficiently young and ignorant, it's tempting to think that the only thing you know anything at all about - the present - is the only things that's real, that matters.

Of course that's stupid and dangerous, as every 'clean break with the past', 'Year 1 of history' style horror show attests. But to know that, you have to know a little history.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Denis

Post by Denis »

blackeagle603 wrote:Yeah, pretty hard to top Aesop's last.

:)
He got extra style points for the clown photo!
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

FWIW, I'm sorta glad to see a young(er) voice chiming in and stirring the pot here a bit.

Us older guys need to stand in, welcome (not run em off) and do our Titus 2:6 duty. ;)
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
henrybowman

Post by henrybowman »

Aesop wrote:
henrybowman wrote:For its time it was a fringe, seeing the out come of what the opposition has created, clearly we would have been better of with him/his ideas.
It's still far fringe now. Turn off your echo chamber, and get out more.
And yet the boy king is finishing his 2nd Term.
The Boy King is finishing his second term because he won enough primaries to have a first term, and he got there after the barest two years in the U.S. Senate, which is exactly two years' more time in any elected office than Buchanan and the Hairdo from Queens have, combined.
Google the previous 44 presidents, and see the last time we let amateurs take the job.
Millions of people are right more often too, but somehow we don't make them president for that. You could look it up.
The point is, you don't get to have a "stance" on political issues as anything other than a gasbag until your claim to fame is something more than dilettante would-be-emperor.
For those with aspirations beyond village idiot, there's the internet.
Serious candidates run for lower office first, and lay down a track record of responsibility and predictability first.
Trump is neither, and has done nothing such.
If he wanted to be Hizzoner, Mayor of NY, then Gov. of the Empire State, I'd support his campaigns and subscribe to his newsletter.
But if he wanted to be president after that, and get my vote, he'd damned well better have a pedigree of demonstrated conservatism longer than his schlong, and older than the fart crust in his underwear.

You're pimping a loudmouth with delusions of competence, with a pedigree still dripping the ink it was printed on.
He may as well introduce himself as "Donald Trump, Supergenius".
His entire campaign premise is risible, and the anyones touting him for the top slot are merely beclowning themselves.

And you offer no ideas on how to fix things.
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

A great start would be to stop pining for a political savior.
(Because you won't ever get one, and you won't like what you do get.)

After that, define the "things" you want "fixed", and what "fixing" them looks like to you, and what you think a reasonable timeline is for that.
Bearing in mind that it took 115 years (or thereabouts) of unbridled Progressivism to get us to the current situation.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
evan price

Post by evan price »

Aesop wrote:A great start would be to stop pining for a political savior.
(Because you won't ever get one, and you won't like what you do get.)

After that, define the "things" you want "fixed", and what "fixing" them looks like to you, and what you think a reasonable timeline is for that.
Bearing in mind that it took 115 years (or thereabouts) of unbridled Progressivism to get us to the current situation.
Here's what some of them think would work.
"Gun Free America in FIVE easy steps"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnoFKskvSq4
I love this video. I love sharing it with progressives and liberals who think it's easy.
Molon Labe folks!
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!