Companies boycotting anti-gun NY

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
Precision

Re: Companies boycotting anti-gun NY

Post by Precision »

Cybrludite wrote:Verification on Midwayusa.com. Seems this has been their policy.

https://twitter.com/MidwayUSA/status/305002597801156608

an email I got from them
Thanks for your email inquiry. Because of the snowstorm that swept through our area last week and our staff being unable to get to work we’re running about three to four days behind on emails. I’m sorry for the delay in responding.

Neither Larry Potterfield, nor MidwayUSA as a company, has issued any statements or made any changes regarding policies about selling to government entities.
However, it has always been our policy not to sell or ship products to areas that have passed laws prohibiting such activity, and there are no exceptions dependent on the type of Customer.
If you have any additional questions or comments, please feel free to contact us at 1-800-243-3220. Our hours of operation are Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. CT. You may also email us at customerservice@midwayusa.com.

Thanks for Your Business!

Brian

MidwayUSA Customer Service
Not sure if the second line is a weasel or if it is stating that (example) they don't / haven't / won't sell 30 round mags to cops in NJ because citizens can't have them.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Denis

Post by Denis »

Precision wrote:Not sure if the second line is a weasel or if it is stating that (example) they don't / haven't / won't sell 30 round mags to cops in NJ because citizens can't have them.
I think Mr Potterfield knows on which side his bread is buttered. His business is online retail, not supplying state agencies. I understand the reply to mean that if citizens can't legally buy something, he won't sell it to the authorities either.

On a related note, Kudos to a Wyoming polititician who speaks plainly about freedom, including the freedom to live somewhere else :shock: (Hat tip to Bayou Renaissance Man.)
dfwmtx

Post by dfwmtx »

So, do any of these companies have .gov or .mil contracts that might be upset by such a boycott?
"Arms are honor; slaves have neither."

"I am Chaos, I am alive...and I tell you that you are free!" -Eris Discordia
JKosprey

Post by JKosprey »

dfwmtx wrote:So, do any of these companies have .gov or .mil contracts that might be upset by such a boycott?
Beretta does...ish. I'm not sure if they're still manufacturing the M9 or whether the numbers have been filled.
JKosprey

Post by JKosprey »

I regret that I haven't been able to attend any of the rallies against this law yet...planning on making one that's coming up this week. But I should note as a resident of upstate NY that the public backlash against this bullshit law has been virtually universal outside of the NYC area. It's quite spectacular.

I've now been told by several different cops, from Sheriffs to Conservation Officers to State Troopers that they have no intention of enforcing this law in any way. I haven't heard from more than just a few people that intend to comply with registration. I didn't hear from a single person in my reserve unit that agreed with this law. Even if this somehow gets upheld in the courts, it's going to be a giant clusterf*ck of a nightmare.

I don't like NY. I don't like the government here, and I'm growing to hate the cold more and more every year. I don't intend to stay past earning my degree. But I'm kinda proud to be a New Yorker right now, because we ARE fighting this.
Precision

Post by Precision »

JKosprey wrote:I regret that I haven't been able to attend any of the rallies against this law yet...planning on making one that's coming up this week. But I should note as a resident of upstate NY that the public backlash against this bullshit law has been virtually universal outside of the NYC area. It's quite spectacular.

I've now been told by several different cops, from Sheriffs to Conservation Officers to State Troopers that they have no intention of enforcing this law in any way. I haven't heard from more than just a few people that intend to comply with registration. I didn't hear from a single person in my reserve unit that agreed with this law. Even if this somehow gets upheld in the courts, it's going to be a giant clusterf*ck of a nightmare.

I don't like NY. I don't like the government here, and I'm growing to hate the cold more and more every year. I don't intend to stay past earning my degree. But I'm kinda proud to be a New Yorker right now, because we ARE fighting this.
I fought and voted with my feet over a decade ago. In my best year up in NYC, I made $125k in salary (bonus got swindled by the bosses drug addiction). I left with very little to show for that. Fed taxes, state taxes, city taxes, my half of the rent $1600...

I make WAY less now but have much more to show for it.

AND I have a gun safe with lots of boomsticks in it... and the only thing I really miss is decent Indian food.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

Aglifter wrote:I can see their thought processes for doing business with departments which support the RTKBA - we don't nec. want to drive them onto the opponents side.

I don't agree with selling LEOs private weapons, which aren't legal for civilian ownership - frankly, I'd be a bit suspect of the legality of such a policy, even if a law might state that it was OK. (A soldier, acting in a war, under orders, has special protections, etc under the law - hence why "friendly fire" deaths happen, rather than being manslaughter cases. TMK, there is no basis for a LEO having any kind of special power, other than the ability to arrest for misdemeanors/issue fines.)
:jacked: I wonder if Dorner bought any weapon used in his murder rampage through one of those loophole laws? That's a real loophole and one I could get behind closing. Sting the company for selling to LEO as an individual something not purchaseable by a non-LEO in the state? I usually don't like that, but it might get more names on the "won't sell prohibited stuff to LEO in Cali" list. I wonder who will represent the two non-LEO murdered in the wrongful death suit against LAPD? There is an opportunity here if it can be played right.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

Windy Wilson wrote:I wonder if Dorner bought any weapon used in his murder rampage through one of those loophole laws?
That asshole (I will not use his name) stole his mother's guns then shot her in the face. That doesn't sound like a loophole to me.

As a matter of fact, there are no "loophole" laws. The govt makes the laws and we figure a work-around that is perfectly legal and in total compliance with the laws that they poorly wrote. There is no magazine loophole, there is no gun-show loophole, there are no loopholes at all. If they write the law and we figure a way around it, how is that a loophole? We're in complete and total compliance with the law THE WAY THEY WROTE IT.

Don't talk to me about loopholes. That's complete and utter bullshit.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Termite

Post by Termite »

PawPaw wrote:
Windy Wilson wrote:I wonder if Dorner bought any weapon used in his murder rampage through one of those loophole laws?
That asshole (I will not use his name) stole his mother's guns then shot her in the face. That doesn't sound like a loophole to me.
Dorner was the ex-LEO shooting other LEOs in Kali, not the kid in NJ that shot up the school.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

I'll use quotation marks when I'm speaking ironically.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy