Everybody PLEASE TRIM YOUR QUOTES

Yogimus

Re: Everybody PLEASE TRIM YOUR QUOTES

Post by Yogimus »

CByrneIV wrote:Ok folks, this has always been an issue, but lately it seems to be a bit ridiculous...

When you are quoting someone else, TRIM YOUR QUOTES.

I trimmed one thread yesterday where I had one LOOONG post, and then ten people nested ten layers of two or three line replies... But because no-one trimmed their quotes, EVERY POST was 100+ lines long.

Trim them to either just the relevant portion you are responding to; or, if you are responding to the whole thing, a long enough segment or identifiable enough segment so that people understand you.

Also, remove nested quotes, unless it is necessary to include the nesting to understand what you are quoting.

Basic netiquette guys, make it easy to read.
^This

(Oh you KNEW it was coming)
Greg

Post by Greg »

My bad. I've done that once or twice lately when I was posting from my phone. Properly trimming quotes is nasty on a phone. :oops:
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Termite

Post by Termite »

I've been guilty of not trimming a few times lately. Mostly because I'm posting from work offshore, and things are a bloody mess right now.
I'll try to do better.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

Termite wrote:I've been guilty of not trimming a few times lately. Mostly because I'm posting from work offshore, and things are a bloody mess right now.
I'll try to do better.
If by "trim" you mean "trim" and "quotes" you mean "the twins"...
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Yogimus wrote:
Termite wrote:I've been guilty of not trimming a few times lately. Mostly because I'm posting from work offshore, and things are a bloody mess right now.
I'll try to do better.
If by "trim" you mean "trim" and "quotes" you mean "the twins"...
I was waiting for that...
:shock: :lol:
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

For general readability (understandability is a different issue), is it better to put my marginally relevant comments before or after the quote?
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

skb12172 wrote:
Yogimus wrote: If by "trim" you mean "trim" and "quotes" you mean "the twins"...
I was waiting for that...
:shock: :lol:
He said trim your quotes, not trim your scrotes.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Greg

Post by Greg »

CByrneIV wrote:
Windy Wilson wrote:For general readability (understandability is a different issue), is it better to put my marginally relevant comments before or after the quote?
If you are only quoting to identify the post you are responding to, rather than a specific statement made in that post; then yes, it is probably better for readability to respond before your quoted text.

If you are responding to a specific quotation, obviously doing this could cause confusion.
Top quoting is the work of the devil. To anyone who's been on the Internet long enough, bottom quoting is *the* only proper way to communicate.

Unfortunately top quoting has become popular, starting with the armies of ignorant newcomers that have flooded the 'net since the beginning of the era of eternal September. Now certain applications, email software, forums, etc, have led people to expect that top quoting is the norm. But it's still evil. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

This:
Greg wrote:Top quoting is the work of the devil. To anyone who's been on the Internet long enough, bottom quoting is *the* only proper way to communicate.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

CByrneIV wrote:There are still lots of people on this board who haven't figured out how to post a working link, even though there's a button that will do it for you, and if you just drop a link in, the forum board will usually make it work automatically.
I am working on that! :oops:
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy