Deep Thoughts

Keep it clean people, this is almost a family friendly site
Netpackrat

Re: Deep Thoughts

Post by Netpackrat »

You may not ever be the sharpest tool in the toolbox, but you can almost always be the biggest.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Wrenchbender1

Post by Wrenchbender1 »

Confucius say "He who washes a** first, is s***faced all day"
Beware lest in your anxiety to avoid war you obtain a master.
- Demosthenes
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Do fat ladies have to pay more to get their legs waxed? I mean, do they charge by the square foot, or is it a flat fee?
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Is you build a fire for someone, you will keep them warm for a couple hours. If you set someone on fire, you will keep them warm for the rest of their life.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I'll bet the advent of texting was a real boon to the deaf community.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I think laptops would last longer if they put more detergents in the electricity. Kind of like in gas for engines.
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

Jered wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:46 am If journalists wanted to earn an honest living, they'd attend law school and take up barristry.
Uh-oh! Somebody pressed Windy's Pedantry button.

That's actually Barratry*, a dirty word among lawyers, and which only lawyers can do, so aren't the people who claim to be journalists then guilty of practicing law without a license?

* Barratry is a legal term describing an illegal act whereby an attorney instigates a dispute or otherwise encourages the filing of an otherwise frivolous lawsuit, in order to profit from legal fees.
Barratry typically involves the filing of a groundless claim in order to receive payment from clients. It is an illegal and unethical practice in all U.S. states and subject to criminal punishment and discipline by the state bar. An attorney found guilty of barratry would generally face disbarment.
Barratry is the illegal instigation or escalation of a dispute or lawsuit by an attorney in order to profit from legal fees.
A lawyer who coerces or threatens an individual into taking on a case or filing and initiating billable work on a case behind someone's back would both be considered examples of barratry.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
randy

Post by randy »

Hmmm, you could make the case that lobbying for certain legislation by trial lawyers would fall under that definition.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
BDK

Post by BDK »

It seems that way from the outside, but it’s not.

It’s a particular crime, which, for the most part, only a lawyer could envision committing.

Think of it as a cop randomly arresting people, to shake them down for money. He can lobby for a revenue sharing program from parking tickets, but telling people $100 to get out of the handcuffs is something else.
Precision

Post by Precision »

BDK wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:10 pm It seems that way from the outside, but it’s not.

It’s a particular crime, which, for the most part, only a lawyer could envision committing.

Think of it as a cop randomly arresting people, to shake them down for money. He can lobby for a revenue sharing program from parking tickets, but telling people $100 to get out of the handcuffs is something else.
Which just means if we kill half... oh never mind
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/