Guncounter Game: Colonizing Gliese 581e

Keep it clean people, this is almost a family friendly site
Erik

Re: Guncounter Game: Colonizing Gliese 581e

Post by Erik »

Thought about this a bit, and figured I'd give it a try.

I'm thinking selecting a diverse group of people with diverse skills. I remember listening to stories about Amundsen and other adventurers, and how they selected people based on what they brought to the group, rather than the toughest or best qualified. The story goes that Amundsen even had a guy with him that could play the violin and not much more, but he brought him for morale, to entertain the others. The adventurer I heard this from later made the same trip, and brought a writer/journalist/storyteller in his 70s with him. He said the guy wasn't much use for the actual expedition, but he was great fun to have around and kept everyone else happy.

So trying to get a diverse group, I'm thinking something like this.

- Matt Graham. Primitive survival expert that's appeard on "Survive that!" (and a few other shows). The guy has so far made it out of Costa Ricas jungles, the savannahs of Africa and arctic Finnland with very little gear allowed. Regardless of how authentic the show is, the guy obviously has serious skills. And he's a very low key and nice guy that is easy to get along with.
- Terry Schappert from the same and other shows. He's also good at primitive survival, and he's a Green Beret, so he should be able to set up and train a functioning defense with good tactics and strategy, and train anyone that's not up to speed.
- Ray Mears. Bushcraft expert that's also been on several shows. He's a true outdoorsman that can handle any environment and make whatever is needed from what he finds in nature. I also loved the show he did about the Heroes of Telemark, where he tried to recreate what the Norwegians did in the second world war. He brought current special forces with him to recreate it, and they had to struggle to keep up.
- Frank Erichsen from the Danish tv show "Bonderøven" (translates to "The Farmer Ass", a somewhat derogatory term that he seems to embrace). I think there has to be a farmer coming along and he runs his farm with traditional methods that was used 50 to 100 years ago, using very little machinery. I'm convinced he could run a farm anywhere with or without tools. And have a great time doing it.
- Mattias Särnholm and Johnnie Krigström from the Swedish show Roomservice. There should be a carpenter/builder along, and since I dont know a good name from any US show right now, I'd go with them. They can build anything, on any continent, and they're also not scared of adventure, they did a TV show where they got closeup photos of themselves with Africas Big Five animlas, in the wild. They're also both really fun and nice guys, they make friends anywhere they go.
- Dick Strawbridge from Scrapheap challenge/junkyard wars since his name wasn't mentioned (only the show). There needs to a mechanic, someone that can fix machinery or build new stuff. He's got the building skills, seems to be a fun guy to have around, and have some serious organizational skills, as well as a military background. He can probably also double as the adminitrator/organizer of the group.
- Jamie Oliver Someone suggested bringing a cook, and that seems like a good idea. I had a Scandinavian guy in mind here, but decided to pick a more internationally known person. The imporant part is that the cook is flexible and can adapt to whatever (s)he has available to use.
- Conan O'Brien Last person is the morale improver. Someone that is fun to have around and will make any downtime enjoyable. Several good names have been mentioned already, so I'll go with him. He seems to be the kind of guy that can tell lots of stories and make others tell their stories too.

Thinking about it a little bit more, that would actually be a show I'd watch.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."
John Wayne
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

I like your list, but would suggest you replace one of your survival experts with a medical person. Maybe the doctor who is the medical consultant on The Deadliest Warrior?
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Erik

Post by Erik »

skb12172 wrote:I like your list, but would suggest you replace one of your survival experts with a medical person. Maybe the doctor who is the medical consultant on The Deadliest Warrior?
Havent seen that show in a long time, it's not on here any more. But that's a really good idea.

Another thing useful would be someone with scientific background, someone that could investigate and interpret the world, and learn from it. Since the fauna and wildlife is different, and probably the natural resources as well, it would be a good idea to learn as much as possible as soon as possible, and draw conclusions. While the survival experts would be able to adapt, it would be good to have someone with a broad scientific understanding of how nature and ecosystems work. I have no idea of a good name for that though. David Attenborough comes to mind, but I'm not sure how much he actually does by himself.

I'd probably change Matt and Johnnie for a good medic and a general scientist, if I could come up with good names for them. :)
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."
John Wayne
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Botanist? Matt Damon is back from Mars, I hear. :lol:
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

skb12172 wrote:Botanist? Matt Damon is back from Mars, I hear. :lol:
I'm surprised that no one has suggested him just to ensure that a rescue mission will be launched.
dfwmtx

Post by dfwmtx »

William Shatner
Mark Hamil
Nathan Fillion
Neil de Grasse Tyson
Mike Rowe
Sigourney Weaver
Carrie Fisher
Katey Sachoff
Kari Byron

Considering it's a bunch of people going to colonize an alien world, we need sci-fi actors to mix shit up.
"Arms are honor; slaves have neither."

"I am Chaos, I am alive...and I tell you that you are free!" -Eris Discordia