Beginners Fly-Fishing Gear

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
MarkD

Beginners Fly-Fishing Gear

Post by MarkD »

I've been fishing for nearly 40 years, everything from Sunnies in a pond to Stripers off the surf, but I've avoiding trying fly-fishing for fear of getting hooked (pun intended). Still, sometimes I still consider it, and I'm looking for advice on just what I'd need to get started. I'd be sticking to the streams and lakes in northern NJ to southern NY state. I'm not looking for super-high quality gear, I'd probably only use it a few times a year. I'm a firm believer that the fish doesn't care what's on your end of the line, so as long as your tackle is up to the challenge of landing the fish it's not going to help you catch fish.

I know I'd need a rod,reel, and line. Also waders, boots and a vest. What would all that end up costing me? Is there anything else I'd definitely need?

How about flies? Buy them or tie them? What do you need to tie your own?
Erik

Re: Beginners Fly-Fishing Gear

Post by Erik »

When it comes to fly fishing, the rod is the most important. For the fishing you're going to do, the reel isn't much more than storage for the line, so you can get away with a cheaper reel, but the rod really needs to be good quality, or fishing with it will be a pain.
I think if you go into a good fishing store, and tell them what you need, they will probably be able to tell you what an appropriate gear for that area is. Try to find a smaller store, close to the fiching areas, they will know what others are using.

I'd go with a class 5 gear, with a floating WF line. If you want to, you can get a second spool with sinking line, if you feel you are going to fish deep.
I have no idea of what it would cost in the states these days, it was years ago I bought my flyfishing rod. I found this at a quick check at Cabelas, and I guess it's a fairly good alternative, I never tried it myself, but if the rod is decent it will work. It's a combo for $90. (I used Cabelas because it's an easy website to check, I'm sure there are better stores there)

You will need a fishing net too, and backing and leader material. Then there are all kinds of extra gear that's good to have, but not really important. If you fell you need it, you can buy it later.

As for flytying, if you're only going to fish a few times a year, and if there isn't any special fly you feel you want that you cant buy, it's really not worth it. Flytying as a skill and an art, and it takes time to learn to do it well.
If you do want to try it, as a minimum you will need a vise, and also some tools, a pair of scissors and a needle will do for a start if you only do simple patterns. You also need a bobbin for the tying line, and the material. If you're starting out, I'd recommend buying a startup kit, that way you get a lot of stuff to start with, and then buy extra as you need it.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."
John Wayne
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

Definitely buy flies to start -- tying is it's own hobby -- and one which fascinates me, but I lack the mentality for it, I believe.

If you enjoy fishing, you'll probably want waders and boots, even if you don't like fly fishing, so I'd get decent ones.

As for gear... It's probably best to buy decent stuff off ebay, and, if you don't like fly fishing, sell it on ebay. Check on the transferability, but both Sage and TFO Lefty Creel rods come w. lifetime warranties.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
Fivetoes

Post by Fivetoes »

I suggest you start with a pre-matched rod, reel, line, leader and so forth. No matter what the quality of your rod is it will not work as well if the components aren't matched. I think Eagle Claw has a good starter outfit. Unless you are fishing cold water you really don't need the waders. A good pair of shoes are necessary tho.
A word of advice: Do not buggy whip your casts. They really shouldn't be a "snap" when you cast.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

1) Stay away from the Orvis stuff it's obscenely expensive.
2)The cheap starter combos are a pretty good starting point, and make a good "trunk rod" when you move on to nicer gear. Not the best action, but for the price they're pretty good.
3)For a "good" rod and reel, I like G. Loomis Rods and Okuma reels. They're "reasonably" priced, at least in comparison to the Orvis stuff, and yes, Okuma reels are made in Taiwan, but I still have on on my Heavyweight flyrod.

HTRN
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt