Cardboard Sled Race Help

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
Durham68

Re: Cardboard Sled Race Help

Post by Durham68 »

Precision wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:59 pm https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/zip/ ... 70444.html

Not that you are likely in Pheonix, but now we know the name of these boxes.
:lol: Never thought I'd be searchnig CL for gaylords
"Unattended children will be given an espresso and a puppy"
tfbncc

Post by tfbncc »

The problem with used cardboard is that you never know where you might have a weak spot. Here's a link to new, heavy duty (single, double, and triple wall) cardboard pads.

Uline Office Products

They are sold in bundles of either 10 or 25. This can get a little pricey, though. I have no idea what your budget is.

Ray
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

A gallon or two of West System resin is not exactly cheap, either.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Durham68

Post by Durham68 »

tfbncc wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:06 am The problem with used cardboard is that you never know where you might have a weak spot. Here's a link to new, heavy duty (single, double, and triple wall) cardboard pads.

Uline Office Products

They are sold in bundles of either 10 or 25. This can get a little pricey, though. I have no idea what your budget is.

Ray
Netpackrat wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:08 am A gallon or two of West System resin is not exactly cheap, either.
Yeah, uline is where I had been looking initially. Bundle of triple wall and a couple gallons of epoxy is about $450. Freight charges and tax add about $100 to the $250 sticker price. Double wall and 2 gallons is closer to $275. I’ll probably end up layering the double wall, but the triple sure would make for less work to get a rigid platform and sturdy runners. Might have to sell a knife or two to fund this thing.
tfbncc

Post by tfbncc »

Knife? What knife? Tell me more of these knives.
evan price

Post by evan price »

Awww man, we do our own shipping crates for new machines, we just got in 5 new machines shipped in 4 crates each, and I've been putting 4x8 sheets of quad ply cardboard in the baler the past couple nights. If only central Ohio were close to you.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Netpackrat wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:08 am A gallon or two of West System resin is not exactly cheap, either.
Ive never really done large work with resin, do you think he'd need that much? I figureed that he could probably get away with woth one of the quart combos on amazon for under a hundred bucks.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Durham68

Post by Durham68 »

tfbncc wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:17 pm Knife? What knife? Tell me more of these knives.
Mostly small production folders. Just sold the last few worth selling on bladeforums and /r/knife_swap (940-2, Endura, Manix 4v). Had to let a Zieba G2 go to pay the CC off. That was the only custom I’ve owned. Not a huge fan of front folders.
Durham68

Post by Durham68 »

evan price wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:13 am Awww man, we do our own shipping crates for new machines, we just got in 5 new machines shipped in 4 crates each, and I've been putting 4x8 sheets of quad ply cardboard in the baler the past couple nights. If only central Ohio were close to you.
That would’ve been amazing. I think I need to start asking the guys at my lgs. They are plugged in to a bunch of local machine shops.
HTRN wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:14 pm [quote=Netpackrat post_id=343379 time=<a href="tel:1550290129">1550290129</a> user_id=70]
A gallon or two of West System resin is not exactly cheap, either.
Ive never really done large work with resin, do you think he'd need that much? I figureed that he could probably get away with woth one of the quart combos on amazon for under a hundred bucks.
[/quote]
I’ve been seeing a gallon or two for under $100. Does that mean it’s no good? Never worked with the stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/EPOXY-CRYSTAL-Ga ... way&sr=8-8
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

HTRN wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:14 pm
You're not really thinking big enough. Epoxy resin, mixed with the milled glass fiber I linked plus a little cabosil to keep it from sagging, is basically spreadable fiberglass. The cardboard is mostly there to give it shape during application and cure. They will probably change the rules on adhesives next year. :mrgreen:

It is of course not as strong as actual fiberglass cloth, mat, roving etc, but there you are crossing the line from it being an adhesive to something else. The milled fibers are just an additive filler which makes resin into an extremely strong adhesive/putty.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop