0-dark-thirty astrophotography payoff.

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
g-man

0-dark-thirty astrophotography payoff.

Post by g-man »

Got up at 0250 this morning so I could hike out to a spot near where we're camping in Morro Bay by 0330 in order to catch this. Definitely worth the effort, though I'm totally bushwhacked at 2151 when posting this.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Netpackrat

Re: 0-dark-thirty astrophotography payoff.

Post by Netpackrat »

Major Major wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:52 am Got up at 0250 this morning so I could hike out to a spot near where we're camping in Morro Bay by 0330 in order to catch this. Definitely worth the effort, though I'm totally bushwhacked at 2151 when posting this.
That's pretty cool.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Beautiful!
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

Nice
randy

Post by randy »

Cool!
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

Very nice. What was the equipment?
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
g-man

Post by g-man »

Rumpshot wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:55 pm Very nice. What was the equipment?
Rokinon 14mm F2.8 (at f/4)
Canon 6D
Tripod

8x25-sec exposures at ISO 6400 stacked and median combined in Photoshop. I have the big scope, big tripod, equatorial wedge, and all the other astro gear in the truck, but wasn’t about to try and pack that stuff out the gravel footpath to where I was shooting from. Of course that pretty much guarantees the remainder of the time we’re here will be cloudy, because I angered the cloud gods.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Holy crap! That's gorgeous!
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
g-man

Post by g-man »

Got another morning out under the stars before coming home from last week's leave. We spent the first night in Aptos, then Sun-Thurs down in Morro Bay, then Thurs and Fri nights we were back up in Aptos, near Seacliff State Beach. I headed down to the beach at 0315 on Saturday morning, and since I had remembered to fully charge the batteries this time (battery symbol was already flashing when I started shooting on Monday, I could afford to spend extra time nailing the focus. Also finally figured out better Photoshop stacking procedures, so I got better stars at the edges and in the corners of this one:

Click to embiggen.

17x 25-sec exposures, 14mm, f/2.8, ISO 6400.

Posting from my computer instead of my phone, I can actually get the link address for the thumbnail and post the smaller version vice the larger one above. There's more light pollution up near Santa Cruz on Monterey Bay vice Morro bay, but since I managed 2x the light per exposure, and over 2x the exposures, I still like the result.Back to the salt mines this morning, though since we got back early enough yesterday for everybody to catch a nap, I don't feel like I need a vacation to recover from my vacation this time.
Frankingun

Post by Frankingun »

That is so beautiful!
Buy ammunition and magazines.

You'll shoot your eye out!

Another blog.