FB and face recognition

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
Weetabix

FB and face recognition

Post by Weetabix »

FB emails me relentlessly. I delete most of them, but if one of my kids' names is involved, I sometimes look. Then, sometimes I make the mistake of scrolling a bit. Saw this:
Introducing Face Recognition For More Features
Hi Weet, we’re always working to make Facebook better, so we're adding more ways to use face recognition besides just suggesting tags. For example, face recognition technology can do things like:

• Find photos you're in but haven't been tagged
• Help protect you from strangers using your photo
• Tell people with visual impairments who's in your photo or video

You control face recognition. This setting is on, but you can turn it off any time, which applies to features we may add later.

-The Facebook Team
Ugh. I turned it off.

But I bet they use it for a lot of things they're not mentioning in this friendly little blurb.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
g-man

Re: FB and face recognition

Post by g-man »

Apparently I had gotten some sort of notification about this at some point in the past, as when I looked into my settings, I was already locked down (the setting is 'on' by default). That said, I couldn't find any emails from facebook about it, which is weird. Maybe I saw a friend mention it on fb proper and locked it down then.

At this point, I am constantly about 30-seconds from being pushed across the line and deleting all my social media. Yeah, first world problems, I know. But with the constant barrage of unfiltered noise (it's an open-ended connection to the Operating Environment, and sure as hell isn't Data, Information, or Intelligence per the diagram below), I'm finding that I tire quickly of interacting with social media at all. I realize it's easier for the grandparents (and especially for the great-grands) to see pictures of the kiddos, but even that benefit is wearing pretty thin.

Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I don't generally interact. I lurk. But only to see the events, baby pictures, etc that my kids post.

I see them often enough that I can interact in person mostly, though we do have a family Hangout.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
randy

Post by randy »

This site is pretty much the only interactive social media I participate in.

I do have a twitter account for work and use it to monitor feeds from local news organizations, local government and agencies, National Weather Service to get a heads up on activity that might impact the organization. I have never and will probably never post anything on it. When I leave this job it will go dark.

Have yet had anyone give me a convincing reason to start a Devil's Database account. And I keep getting almost daily (such as this thread) reasons not to.

One set of grandparents is local and the other grandparent does not do computers at all. I do family news and pics etc via e-mail and/or text messages and, :o snail mail!.

I'm not a Luddite, I just don't adopt a new technology unless/until it provides me with something I want/need and does it in a way I want it to. Which leaves out FB, Instagram, Snap chat yadda yadda yadda. I think another factor is I'm old enough to have been through several cycles of "you gotta be on this!". AOL Messenger, My Space etc. I never bit on any of those, they're gone and I didn't miss anything not having participated.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Jered

Post by Jered »

Thanks for pointing this out.

I just turned it off.

Of course, I use a picture of Frederick Russell Burnham as my profile picture, so, there's that.

My profile also says that I live in Brakfontein, South Africa.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.