School me on metal detectors

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
Netpackrat

Re: School me on metal detectors

Post by Netpackrat »

https://www.walmart.com/ip/HDX-Extendin ... /529343430

Feel free to ignore my low tech suggestions if the actual goal is to justify purchase of a metal detector. :D
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Netpackrat wrote:https://www.walmart.com/ip/HDX-Extendin ... /529343430

Feel free to ignore my low tech suggestions if the actual goal is to justify purchase of a metal detector. :D
No. Seriously. Leaf rake in perpendicular patterns. Stiff tines rake in perpendicular directions. No findee.

But that thing might work. Our Walmart sucks for tools, but now I'm thinking about Harbor Freight.

And the thought of a metal detector seems to be growing on me.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I bought a couple of them at Lowes 2 years ago when I was re-roofing my house.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Cobar wrote:off topic, there is a GC facebook group?
Indeed there is. It's a closed group, need to be added/invited. Got a FB handle? I think any current member can invite/add.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

Thought of a couple more.

Granddad and his cohorts had been working City Park in New Orleans pretty hard. this would have been circa 1970. They'd had some good finds come out of there. Bullets from around Dueling Oaks, an 18k gold dental bridge, watches and a little jewelry. Like most detectorists, people would wander up and ask what they were doing, and had they found anything. Granddad always keep the good stuff separate from the trash, pull tabs, and nails. When he was invariably asked he'd just show the trash pouch and say something like "pretty normal day." He'd get hit up for change by a lot of homeless types too. They just called them bums back then. One day they're working City Park and they start hearing sirens. Sirens that were getting louder. Suddenly NOPD cop cars are skidding in from every direction and officers with guns and "rosewoods" are all headed towards our heroes. The officers surround them, orders of "hands up", "freeze", "get on the ground", all that stuff. The police are very interested in the metal detectors. They ask what they are, why do they have them in the park, and what are they doing with them. Once they understand the metal detector they seem a bit relieved, but also like they've been cheated out of something. It turns out someone had called the police because they believed that my Granddad and his friends were roaming through City Park and shocking bums with cattle prods. NOPD back then wouldn't particularly care about someone shocking bums, but they were going to hand out a beating at every opportunity.

Another episode entailed a field trip out to Barataria Bay to what I suspect is Ft. Livingston. They brought along a camera and took a number of pictures of themselves exploring the area and "finding" several civil war era cannons still on their pintles. The idea was they'd come back and salvage the cannons and MD the area for civil war era finds. They had my mom write up an article about the trip and they submitted it to "Treasure Found" magazine. "Treasure" happily cut a check for a couple hundred bucks and ran it in their next issue. Granddad and Co. were heroes in their local circle. A major excavation and finds were just within reach. They were looking at boats to make an easier approach and get heavy items out easier. Someone else had other plans, though. Whoever owned that old fort apparently had a subscription to "Treasure Found" and a lawyer. The cease & desist arrived nearly immediately. So much for hauling cannons out of the marsh.

It wasn't all rough going. I remember he had a particular way of working the lowest step of the seawall along Lake Pontchartrain. He showed me a bootlace once that was tied into a loop. It was completely full of class rings, engagement rings, and wedding rings he'd found using that method. I'd never seen so much gold in one place in my life. He had an underwater detector for this, but there was so much iron and rebar in the seawall and nails and pull tabs in the sand, finding anything by pinpointing was impossible. He zip tied some metal mesh to an innertube, tied that to his belt and went along the bottom step with a square nose shovel. Profit.

He bought a spin caster and started casting scrap gold finds into something new. I remember buying a wax casting item with him once that was an intricately and beautifully carved mermaid. Her tail, though, was a tiny spoon and not a fin. when I asked about (I was 5?) all he said was "Don't tell your mom."

I have that issue of Treasure Found at work. It took me a few years to track one down but I'm happy I finally found one.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

blackeagle603 wrote:PM me. I've got a like new unit with original packaging I can make you a sweet deal on. Bought it from local prospector shop for a hearing aide search and just used it that one day.
BE - did you get my email? Steamforger's stories have me thinking about an old park near my house. And in spite of my epic plumbing pain this weekend, I didn't need to go to Lowe's. :geek:
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

nope, dwmattix at gmail dot com
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

Back to what NPR said, what about one of those huge magnets from American Science & Surplus?
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

Windy Wilson wrote:Back to what NPR said, what about one of those huge magnets from American Science & Surplus?
1500lb attraction one from united nuclear.
"Islam delenda est" Aesop
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

With one that strong, I imagine you would just need to bring the magnet into the yard and the missing knives would fly to it like something out of Star Wars. I would try to not be between the magnet and the knives, though. :o
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy