How secure do you feel in your livelihood?

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
BDK

Re: How secure do you feel in your livelihood?

Post by BDK »

It was more along the lines of "take blood sample/other fluid sample, screen it for 100 tests which cost us $100 dollars to run at the lb level, and should go to $30 for 300 tests once produced, in an hour/maybe 20 min" - but to get the FDA to sign off on the testing protocols, and the constant change of testing protocols, would be impossible.

Modern research chemistry uses what I think are called micro reactions - not sure.

The goal wasn't for simple things, such as you mentioned - and I know nothing about medicine outside of the test tube and plate side of it - but to do more thorough physicals for vastly less money/diagnose infections much more accurately - so that better protocols could be used - and to ensure that dangerous zebras aren't missed when the doctor hears hoof beats (which happens fairly regularly, not only with infections, but certain types of heart disease, etc).

The real value is on working with the re-thinking germ theory. And I've got to take a crack at writing that.
Cybrludite

Post by Cybrludite »

Replaced by robots? Not until Lore comes along. (Data was too nice...) Replaced by Gunga Din in a call center? Possible, but very doubtful. My employer had tried that route before and I've heard that it was spectacularly unsuccessful.
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

BDK wrote:It was more along the lines of "take blood sample/other fluid sample, screen it for 100 tests which cost us $100 dollars to run at the lb level, and should go to $30 for 300 tests once produced, in an hour/maybe 20 min" - but to get the FDA to sign off on the testing protocols, and the constant change of testing protocols, would be impossible.

Modern research chemistry uses what I think are called micro reactions - not sure.

The goal wasn't for simple things, such as you mentioned - and I know nothing about medicine outside of the test tube and plate side of it - but to do more thorough physicals for vastly less money/diagnose infections much more accurately - so that better protocols could be used - and to ensure that dangerous zebras aren't missed when the doctor hears hoof beats (which happens fairly regularly, not only with infections, but certain types of heart disease, etc).

The real value is on working with the re-thinking germ theory. And I've got to take a crack at writing that.
So, you're looking at getting more complete diagnostic date more quickly to someone so they can diagnose more quickly and accurately?
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D