Albuquerque Low

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
Darrell

Albuquerque Low

Post by Darrell »

Well, we got our first real winter storm overnight, the dreaded Albuquerque Low--a low pressure cell passes south of us, spiraling moisture and winds counterclockwise up into Colorado. A so-called upslope storm, the plains and Front Range get it worse than the mountains. Winds are gusting 60-75 mph, drifting snow and causing whiteout conditions. Being an early season storm, it started out wet, then turned colder, freezing and making everything slicker than snot. I left early to drive to work this morning, only to discover the freeway closed at a hill a few miles north of me. Time to go home and drink some coffee or hot chocolate. :)

We had an Albuquerque Low hit back around '97 on a Friday night. I got up Saturday morning to find the front door blocked by a snow drift that was as high as the gutters on the roof. I busted through it to find half the yard bare of snow. It just drifted that bad. IIRC I didn't get out of the driveway until the next Tuesday--the city didn't plow residential streets in my neighborhood, so I was stuck. Not that bad this storm, but bad enough to call it in.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Sea Dawg

Re: Albuquerque Low

Post by Sea Dawg »

My wife spent three winters in Albuquerque. She doesn't do winter. When I was posted to San Diego she thought she had died and gone to Heaven. That was almost 40 years ago, and we are still in SoCal.
A free people ought ..to be armed. Geo. Washington, 1790
McClarkus

Post by McClarkus »

We got lucky. Took 4 hours to get home from DIA yesterday which is double the normal time. However, today there was not one snowflake on the ground, it was halfassed sunny, and in the mid 40's today. They don't call this the banana belt for nuthin.........
One secret to life. Step #1 - Find something you enjoy doing. Step #2 - Find someone foolish enough to pay you to do it.
toad

Post by toad »

"As I walked down the streets of Laredo, as I walked down the streets one day,
The snow started falling, and all the car drivers screamed all that day. "
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

It's been snowing off and on here all day, and is supposed to continue into the night, turning into rain by midnight or so. Given that we've been in the single digits for the last couple weeks, that's going to hit the roads and turn them slicker than shit. In other words, business as usual in Anchorage.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
toad

Post by toad »

"As he walked down the streets of old Anchorage, as he walked down the streets one day.
The wind started howling, the streets started glazing, and a moose started screaming blown sliding into the bay."
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

Sorry, I was at Disneyland yesterday in shorts and a t-shirt. It was 79.
Then the sun went down, and it got really cold. Almost down to 50.
Had to put on long pants and a long-sleeved t-shirt. Brrrrrr.
When winter hits, I may have to find a hat or something. >shudder<

What is this "snow" substance you speak of...?

Thanks for reminding me why I don't do snow.

By the way, 86ing Toon Town and replacing it with a StarWars-themed area looks like it's going to be a winner. If they don't screw the pooch with TFA.
Next, they just need to make Tomorrowland the HQ of Stark Enterprises, and all will be well.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
toad

Post by toad »

"Winter is coming." Even California may get wet and chilly this go around. Be sure to wave at those who live on steep hillsides and flood plains as they float by.