Degrees of connections

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
Aesop

Re: Degrees of connections

Post by Aesop »

Weetabix wrote:
Aesop wrote:Met Engineer Scotty from Star Trek at my school sports banquet, because I played football with his sons. (He was missing a finger - left ring - from a childhood snowsledding accident, and wore a rubber prosthetic finger on camera so it wouldn't freak people out.)
I'd read before that it was shot off at Normandy. Wikipedia (I know, but it supports the account I heard) agrees.
Wikipedia is worth every penny you pay for it.
The paragraph smells of purulent cheese. I call Bucket of BS on the entire retchworthy steaming pile. Lieutenants of artillery don't take out snipers, or lead their men on charges through the enemy lines. They make sure the friggin' guns are sited correctly, hours after the front line of battle is miles away.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Greg wrote:NYC Mayor Ed Koch
The last really good mayor NY had. :(
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

I enjoyed his appearance on SNL. He was very funny.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Aesop mentioned actors and such, and honestly don't think about that sort of thing much and don't know too many people along this lines. However, my wife is friends with Debbie Turner and she has been over for dinner a few times and whatnot, but that was before she moved to New York.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

I once hung out, drinking with Bobbi Steele, a short term member of the misfits, outside a now long gone dive bar.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

I went to basic training with one of Al Gore's cousins in 1992. He got a letter from then VP-Elect Gore, in an envelope addressed from his Senate office in DC.

Combine that incident with his last name (very similar to that of a brand name of feminine hygiene products) and he was basically in a world of shit from Day 1.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
arctictom

Post by arctictom »

I met Morgan Freeman.
You live and learn.
Or you don't live long.
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

Cybrludite wrote:Let's see, on the gaming side of things, I've met Steve Jackson, Lou Zocchi, and Dave Arneson, which puts me a step or two from much of the gaming world.

With the sci-fi writing world... oy. Met and talked to, not just getting something signed, Niven, Pournelle, Vinge, Weber, Ringo, Doc Taylor (he's also, thankfully, my only connection to reality tv), Mike Z. Williamson, loaned my pocket knife to Harlan Ellison (Who then tried to shiv the con chair with it. I shit you not. :roll: ), years prior to that, hung out with the same con-chair, a mutual friend, Harlan, Peter David, and Neil Gaiman after a con, shot the shit with Bob Asprin, argued politics with Brin, Brad Torgersen occasionally shows up in comments on things I post to Facebook, had supper with PTerry at a Discworld convention thanks to a friend of mine going nuts at the charity auction... long story short (Too late!), if they're active in writing sci-fi, I'm a step or two from them.

I've met and chatted with Vernon Wells, which puts me a step away from Mel Gibson and Virginia Hey. The Mardi Gras krewe I march with has put me in contact with Peter Mayhew and Georgio "Aliens!" Tsoukalos. So, one step removed from the Star Wars cast at least.
Charles Platt and Krewe of Chewbacchus?
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

SoupOrMan wrote:I went to basic training with one of Al Gore's cousins in 1992. He got a letter from then VP-Elect Gore, in an envelope addressed from his Senate office in DC.

Combine that incident with his last name (very similar to that of a brand name of feminine hygiene products) and he was basically in a world of shit from Day 1.
Which would put us at most 4 and probably 3 degrees apart as I used to work with a chemist who was a cousin to former VP Al.