Need some mower suggestions

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
HTRN

Re: Need some mower suggestions

Post by HTRN »

First Shirt wrote:Husky's the way to go in lawn care.
Not even close. At the big box level, basically all lawncare machines come out the same factory(MTD) only with different colors, and different names. Husky in no exception. Husky does make some good stuff, but you're not going to find it at Lowes or HD.

For String trimmers, Tier 1 is Shindaiwa and Redmax. Tier 2 is Stihl. Tier 3 is Echo and Commercial Husky. Shit tier is everything else.

Push mowers? I still say Honda, although new their ridiculously expensive. Try to buy a used one.

I will point out, from a maintenance standpoint, that if you have the a relatively small lot, going battery operated may be the way to go - no engines to maintain. I strongly considered it when I thought I would be here awhile - B&D lithion trimmers, hedge trimmers, etc all using the same battery would probably be the best bet for short use, light load situations.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

So, maybe it's the orange paint??

All I can attest to is that every Husqvarna lawn tool I've ever owned has been stellar. Right now I have a push mower, a riding mower, and two chainsaws, none of which have ever given me a moment's trouble, and they are all at least 5 years old. (The older chainsaw is 8 or 9 years old, and remember, I burn about 2 cords of hardwood every year.)

And when the POS Troy-Bilt weedeater shits the bed, I'll probably buy a Husky 4-stroke weed whacker as well.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

The Husqvarna snow blower I bought at Lowes close to 10 years ago has been fine. Kind of wish I had spent a bit more for a tracked Honda, but there really isn't anything wrong with the Husky. Went with the 11hp version because that was the smallest one that had an OHV rather than a sidevalve engine.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
evan price

Post by evan price »

Toro, Troybilt, Bolens, Cub Cadet, Huskee, etc all are MTD brands. You might pay more for a Cub Cadet but you are getting a fancier cup holder and different rubber treads on the step with yellow and white paint. Oh, and an available optional engine choice with more hp. Everything else is the same.

Just so, Craftsman, Husqvarna, Poulan, low end John Deere are made by AYP. Which is also, Electrolux.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

Bit of a necro, I was going to email evan price, but it doesn't look like his email is available.

Evan (or anyone):

Thoughts on this one? Price seems good, it's about an hour away.

http://beaumont.craigslist.org/grq/5231076597.html
evan price

Post by evan price »

JAG2955 wrote:Bit of a necro, I was going to email evan price, but it doesn't look like his email is available.

Evan (or anyone):

Too good to be true, it's a scammer email most likely, this sort of thing is common on Craigslist. That's an easy $8k worth of hardware with the loader...

rightisright

Post by rightisright »

evan price wrote:
JAG2955 wrote:Bit of a necro, I was going to email evan price, but it doesn't look like his email is available.

Evan (or anyone):

Too good to be true, it's a scammer email most likely, this sort of thing is common on Craigslist. That's an easy $8k worth of hardware with the loader...
Yep. That tractor w. the loader only would sell for $8-9K around here.
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

Yep, it was a scam. Even when I told them that I'd drive to Montgomery, AL to pick it up, despite it being listed in Beaumont. And even though it had the wrong attachments. And different hours. And different tires.
Wrenchbender1

Post by Wrenchbender1 »

My vote would be for an old Wheel Horse, like the one shown below. We had one when I was a kid, and that 12 hp Kohler pulled harder than the 18 hp Craftsman I have now. The downside is that parts may be difficult to come by.
Beware lest in your anxiety to avoid war you obtain a master.
- Demosthenes
evan price

Post by evan price »

Wrenchbender1 wrote:My vote would be for an old Wheel Horse, like the one shown below. We had one when I was a kid, and that 12 hp Kohler pulled harder than the 18 hp Craftsman I have now. The downside is that parts may be difficult to come by.
Those old Wheel Horse tractors were great. Simplicity, White, Massey Ferguson, Cub Cadet, Ford. All those old yard tractors from back in the day were great, when they used real metal and built mini farm machines.
Nowadays parts are not easy to get and not cheap to buy when you find them. They are more collector machines now. You can still get Kohler K-series engine parts.