Happy Independence Day!

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
JAG2955

Happy Independence Day!

Post by JAG2955 »

IN CONGRESS, July 4, 1776.
The unanimous Declaration of the thirteen united States of America,

When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.

http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/charte ... cript.html

Now, for your listening and viewing pleasure, a small selection of patriotic music links:

Madison Rising Star Spangled Banner
Martina McBride America The Beautiful
Martina McBride God Bless America
Just because I want to share it
skb12172

Re: Happy Independence Day!

Post by skb12172 »

Indeed!
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

The link to the National Archives apparently went stupid.

There is a good version HERE with a little back story and annotations.
"If at first you don't succeed, that's one data point." XKCD
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

I intend to celebrate the 4th with gunfire. Club shoot today at 1:00.

Afterwards I'll celebrate the 4th with a fifth. Sitting on the back porch watching the neighbors light off near-pro-grade fireworks. This bunch of almost-redneck suburbanites I live near has the disposable income to afford good fireworks. And, there are no laws prohibiting fireworks in this area. I would be remiss if I skipped his annual artillery salutes. It scares the hell out of the dog, but everything scares the hell out of the dog.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Rod

Post by Rod »

And happy birthday to my son, who has the privilege of being an actual Yankee Doodle Dandy.
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

This one wins the internet today:

h/t to Solomon's blog, SNAFU!
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Aesop wrote:This one wins the internet today:

h/t to Solomon's blog, SNAFU!
Well my 4th of July tradition is to find some British guy and slap him around, so it evens out.
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

A phto from yesterday at the club shoot. Our club president installed two new targets, increasing our line from two to four lanes. The club is growing and we inaugurated the extra space yesterday.

Afterwards, my lady and I came home and enjoyed an aperitif while watching the rain. Very few fireworks last night due to the downpour. Lots of disappointed rednecks, but the money is spent so I suppose we'll be hearing artillery tonight.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Termite

Post by Termite »

No worries about fireworks starting wild fires right now.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."