Does not follow...

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
Odahi

Re: Does not follow...

Post by Odahi »

Part of people's attitude toward the covid is due to whether they know anyone who got it. Also, of course, to their own life situation. My daughter is very protective of my grandson, who is just two years old. She is also very careful of her own health because she is the only one who can care for him. Her husband is more casual about it, which concerns her greatly. "I don't know anyone who's gotten it. I think it's a hoax." Linda and I are very cautious because we are both "elderly." Also, she is disabled and has a number of existing health issues. While I am basically healthy (no alcohol or tobacco in many years, have lost 40 pounds in the last two years, and don't often get sick), I was diagnosed with cancer in mid March, and had chemo followed by surgery. I've been pronounced cancer free, but I don't mind saying it scared the shit out of me, and I'm still very cautious. I was on Linda-imposed self quarantine from the day I started treatment. And didn't fight her about it. Also, the very first person to be diagnosed where I work was the CEO, and there have been probably 20 cases since I left on disability in March. I'm back at work as of two weeks ago, but I am very appreciative of the fact that they take it seriously. Masks, gloves, and hand and surface sanitizer are provided, cleaning is more frequent, and we are even asked to keep contact logs of anyone who we come in contact with for more than 15 minutes at less than 6 feet. People are asked to self-quarantine under certain conditions, and there is even "coronavirus leave" available to make people more likely to stay home if necessary. And fully 80% of our people are working from home now. I guess they "got the message" when the Big Cheese was the first case diagnosed.
Birds gotta swim, fish gotta fly, assholes gotta ass, until the day they die.

"Common sense" is an oxymoron.
randy

Post by randy »

The really scary part of all of this is that between the lost credibility of the national Public Health "experts" (You don't need masks (so they stockpile for themselves) to "wear a mask (made of anything) or we all gonna die" with no change in the disease factors etc.), and the variety of state and local officials that took this as an opportunity to get their inner STASI on, if/when we get hit with a something really dangerous (i.e. high mortality rate for anyone who gets it, not just the vulnerable), we are well and truly screwed.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Greg

Post by Greg »

The mortality for children without serious pre-existing conditions is essentially 0.

I have an old friend who lives with and takes care of his elderly mother. His health sucks, he's been overweight forever and diabetic for a long time. He had good reason to be worried and honestly he's about lost his mind. His mother is far more rational about the situation. He's been in 'lock everything down forever it's worse than the plague of Justinian' panic mode since, oh, April.

Still can't get him to recognize that not everyone is at such risk as him and his mother, and that lockdowns have other costs that WILL hurt, or even kill, other people.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

was wishing that if you had got it then you were past it. Something lost in the reading and writing of that apparently.

Other than that, this ain't the black death, or even Measles :

1. Quit hiding from that which cannot ultimately be avoided. Go on offense and get some resilience going in your favor.
2. Sgt Hulka's instruction to also Francis comes to mind but will leave that unsaid
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Greg

Post by Greg »

Funny I tried having an online discussion with measles as the starting point. Measles is actually something to worry about - the damned thing actually makes your immune system forget how to fight off *other* diseases.

Tried to encourage people to gain a little perspective... Imagine what it would be like if we applied our newly made up risk aversion standards we invented for teh covids to something actually dangerous, like measles.

My father lost a baby brother to measles back in the day. I had it when I was in grade school despite vaccinations. Turns out a friend from grade school I still talk to on FB also had it in grade school despite vaccinations. (We had it like 2 years apart so we weren't some outbreak.)
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Jered

Post by Jered »

I'm actually tempted to ask the local public health nurse if she has the legal authority to have me stay home from work.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

You're asking the wrong question. Instead of asking what can they make you do, better to worry about what you should be doing. If you do/did get infected, if you go about your "merry way" as was suggested, before you know for certain you are sick, you will almost certainly infect a non zero number of additional persons. They (or people they infect, and so on) may be among the unfortunate percentage of those who are killed or permanently harmed by the disease. Which is another thing... While it is great that the fatality rate seems to be improving as they learn more about treating it, in focusing too much on that rate it is easy to forget there are indications that a large number of those who survive the illness, are doing so with permanent damage as a result. It's not something anybody should want to tangle with just to get it over with.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Anyway, decided that I wanted to be able to load 7.62x25 on the XL750. Discovered that the only difference between the caliber conversion kit for Tok and 9mm is the powder funnel, and since it was easier to find the 9mm kit and the .30 cal funnel, that's what I did. Looking further at the conversion chart, the only additional item I need to run .380 is a plastic casefeed adapter. Of course I would still need to get 9mm and .380 die sets (and ideally quick change kits or at least toolheads), but at that point the only thing I will be set up to do on the SDB that I can't do faster on the 750 will be 38/357. Not sure at what point it will be taking up more space than being able to run handgun ammo without changing the 750's setup is worth.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

AlaskaTRX wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:31 am I avoid people that I don’t know/trust,...
It's like we're brothers from another mother.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

AlaskaTRX wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:56 am
Jered wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:26 am I've been exposed to the covidz.

Some local health official wants me to stay home from work.

I'm pretty sure that it's a violation of certain laws for them to do more than ask nicely.
I hope you did not catch it!!! :(
For your own health, do the resilience things. And yes, it's a good thing to get it done and over with personally.

But yeah, this goes without saying. I took it as axiomatic, not hardly worth even mention and jumped to the personal resilience "get over it" part.

If you are part of contact/exposure trace. Self isolate for a time for the sake of others. This is actual scenario quarantine serves (as opposed to lock the world down approach we've been saddled with).
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story