Does not follow...

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
Jered

Re: Does not follow...

Post by Jered »

Yeah, it's dumb. I revolver is a pistol, but a pistol isn't always a revolver.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Captain Wheelgun

Post by Captain Wheelgun »

Jered wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:47 pm Yeah, it's dumb. I revolver is a pistol, but a pistol isn't always a revolver.
Yep, and Sam Colt himself called his invention a “Revolving Pistol”.
"What is this, the Congress Avenue Independence Day Parade?" - Capt. Karl von Stahlberg, RTN
Republic of Texas Navy Archives
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

It's like the dipshits who will try to correct you for using the word silencer instead of suppressor. None of my Forms 4 say suppressor, and the guy who invented it called it a silencer. And I get the distinct impression that very few of those guys actually own any. Probably a lot of overlap with the people who need to stop writing letters to the ATF.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
TheArmsman

Post by TheArmsman »

If one is going to be doing almost strictly gunsmithing, would something like make sense to invest in?
https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzl ... Mill/G9729
When death is inevitable, style counts.

Survival trumps programming.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Stay away from combo machines, they generally suck.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

It is a small but happy feeling when you go to sight in your deer rifle and it is still dead on where it was the last time you shot it.
TheArmsman

Post by TheArmsman »

HTRN wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:04 am Stay away from combo machines, they generally suck.

Understood. Why would they suck?

What would you recommend then?
When death is inevitable, style counts.

Survival trumps programming.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

TheArmsman wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:56 pm
HTRN wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:04 am Stay away from combo machines, they generally suck.

Understood. Why would they suck?

What would you recommend then?
Because a wrench is not a hammer.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I am still waiting for my lathe to even arrive, so take this for what it is worth... What I have found, is that basically you buy machinery by the pound. Look at the listed weight of that unit, versus the other specs and what you want it to do. All else being equal, more weight is going to mean more rigidity, which is going to have a big impact on what you can get it to do. Much of what that unit does weigh is going to be due to its multi-function nature, so you have to deduct some unknown amount from that when comparing to single function units of similar specs.

I definitely get the attraction though... My original plan had been to buy Grizzly's 11x27 bench lathe, which costs and weighs roughly half as much as the lathe I ended up buying, the G4003G. Part of the rationale was that I could spend the difference on a small mill, and then have both a lathe and a mill. Now I won't be getting a mill probably for a while, which makes me sad. But on the plus side I will have a lathe that I am not likely to ever outgrow, and which could potentially be used in a professional capacity.

OTOH, it is possible to mill using a regular lathe, with the right attachments. It probably sucks compared to using a mill, but at least with the milling attachment removed, your lathe won't have to suck.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Netpackrat wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:39 amNow I won't be getting a mill probably for a while, which makes me sad.
Nudge, nudge, wink wink. :mrgreen: