Does not follow...

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
Vonz90
On a list somewhere

Re: Does not follow...

Postby Vonz90 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:09 am

dfwmtx wrote:Convince me: get new AR in .308, or keep regular AR, buy .300 Blackout upper & shitton .300 BO ammo.

Convince you of what? It depends on what you want to do.

HTRN
Probably Unemployed

Postby HTRN » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:56 pm

evan price wrote:
HTRN wrote:So, because of all the insane vertime ive been putting in, i finally broke down and ordered a full set of Southord picks. Also because of the insane amount 9f overtime, i havent gotten to try them.. :|

I've got Sparrows and Bogotas, feel free to post a review of Southord once you get the feel of them.

Thyre nice picks, could use a bit more deburring, and mebbe some reprofiling on some of the picks like the half diamond.

Bogota?! I thought that was just an alternate name for some rake picks, also called "snake rakes".. :?
EGO partum , proinde EGO sum

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Vonz90
On a list somewhere

Postby Vonz90 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:38 pm

Doing annual performance reviews and telling everyone that they have no chance to get promoted since they are not a shape shifting lizard person.

I am probably too sarcastic to be in management, yet here I am.

evan price
Trigger Junkie

Postby evan price » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:44 pm

HTRN wrote:
evan price wrote:
HTRN wrote:So, because of all the insane vertime ive been putting in, i finally broke down and ordered a full set of Southord picks. Also because of the insane amount 9f overtime, i havent gotten to try them.. :|

I've got Sparrows and Bogotas, feel free to post a review of Southord once you get the feel of them.

Thyre nice picks, could use a bit more deburring, and mebbe some reprofiling on some of the picks like the half diamond.

Bogota?! I thought that was just an alternate name for some rake picks, also called "snake rakes".. :?

http://www.hardcasesurvival.com/bogota-ti-lock-picks/

The Bogota worm is a great pick but somebody trademarked Bogotas as a name of a pick maker.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:42 am

Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:05 pm

I've always wondered about these ads. You've seen all the commercials.

But what really happens when you ask for help with an erection lasting more than 4 hours?

I walked into a drug store and asked to talk to a male pharmacist.

The woman I was speaking with said she was the only pharmacist and since she and her sister owned the store, there were no male employees. She asked if she could help me.

I said that I really would have preferred to speak with a male pharmacist.

She assured me that she was completely professional and whatever it was that I needed to discuss,

I could be confident that she would treat me with a high level of professionalism.

I reluctantly agreed and began by saying, "As a shy man, this is tough for me to discuss, but here goes.

I get erections every day that last more than four hours. This condition causes me a lot of problems and severe embarrassment.

I was wondering what you could give me for it?"

The pharmacist said, "Just a minute, I'll talk to my sister."

When she returned, she said, "We discussed it at length and this is the absolute best we can do:

* 1/3 ownership in the store,

* a company pickup truck,

* a king size bed and

* $3,000 a month in living expenses."

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop

Steamforger
On a list somewhere

Postby Steamforger » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:45 pm

Was at North 40 today getting some gear for work and spied a Kel-Tec Sub 2000 .40 S&W on the rack. Haven't seen any flavor of one of those in a very long time.

Steamforger
On a list somewhere

Postby Steamforger » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:01 am

There's a Mitsubishi MRJ90 doing laps above me right now.

ETA- I'd never heard of one so I googled it and there are 4 in the world. Rare bird.

The first flight, scheduled after the design was finalized, was to take place in the second quarter of 2012, but was delayed to 2013, and then further delayed to spring 2014 due to delays in the procurement of engines. Likewise the first delivery was planned to take place in the first quarter of 2014, but was delayed to mid to late 2016.In August 2013, Mitsubishi announced a third major delay to the program, and that the first flight would take place by summer 2015 while the first delivery would take place by summer 2017. Delays in the procurement of the Pratt & Whitney engines and other components were cited as the cause of this delay.
In September 2013, after announcing the third delay to the MRJ program, Mitsubishi publicly displayed a prototype MRJ fuselage, including cockpit enclosure, and announced that it would hire foreign pilots and technicians to serve as consultants as the program progressed to safety testing and regulatory approvals.Pictures of the first fully assembled MRJ90 were available on 26 June 2014,[28] and an official rollout occurred on 18 October 2014.
The maiden flight of the MRJ90 took place on 11 November 2015. On 24 December 2015, Mitsubishi announced a one-year delay for the first delivery of the MRJ, to mid-2018. The delay was attributed to insufficient wing strength and the redesign of the landing gear for better safety.
Static strength test were completed on November 1, 2016 and confirmed that the airframe could withstand 1.5 times the maximum load.

We also often see KC-46 Pegasi (Pegasuses?), Omega Air to Air Refueling 707's, P-8 Poseidons, Boeing's dreamlifter, and sometimes Saudi prince Al Waleed's 747.

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:19 am

Once again, Don Young has liberal heads imploding all over the state....

http://www.ktuu.com/content/news/Rep-Yo ... 27323.html

Darrell
Good Christ I Need A Life

Postby Darrell » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:18 am

Netpackrat wrote:Once again, Don Young has liberal heads imploding all over the state....

http://www.ktuu.com/content/news/Rep-Yo ... 27323.html

Cannabis is a big issue here too, of course. I've seen some recent proposals to do something about dealing with the income re: banking, etc.
Eppur si muove--Galileo

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:06 pm

I have one of those Sony turntable 300 CD changers.

A while back it stopped working. So I did some research and ordered some spare parts..... And the other day I fixed it, with the help of some YouTube videos.

Turns out everything mechanical that thing does is driven by plastic gears and belt drives. Except the 'belts' are little black rubber bands of very specific sizes.

Two of them had stretched out and fallen off. Third one was guilty by association- I replaced all 3. Required removing dozens of screws and disconnecting half a dozen or so little cable plugs.

The little rubber bands were like a buck each. Paying to fix it would have been in triple digits. Yay me. Anyone having similar trouble, I can help walk you through it.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr

HTRN
Probably Unemployed

Postby HTRN » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:05 pm

Did Sony ever make those jukeboxes for DVDs?

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:10 am

I had one of those Sony CD changers except mine was a 50 disc version, still in good working order. I threw it out with the trash a few weeks ago.

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:23 pm

Netpackrat wrote:I had one of those Sony CD changers except mine was a 50 disc version, still in good working order. I threw it out with the trash a few weeks ago.

Well I know you kids these days don't do CD's any more, but some of us old timers still like to have music on physical media. ;)
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:24 pm

HTRN wrote:Did Sony ever make those jukeboxes for DVDs?

I don't think so. Not entirely sure. The tech's a dead end anyway.

Weetabix

Postby Weetabix » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:48 pm

Greg wrote:Well I know you kids these days don't do CD's any more, but some of us old timers still like to have music on physical media. ;)

I like the physical media for the originals, but I rip it all to an iPod and listen from that.

And I got the iPod from a repair place where they cobbled together an old case and board, new battery and hard drive. Practically new, and for cheap. :mrgreen:
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:41 pm

Weetabix wrote:
Greg wrote:Well I know you kids these days don't do CD's any more, but some of us old timers still like to have music on physical media. ;)

I like the physical media for the originals, but I rip it all to an iPod and listen from that.

And I got the iPod from a repair place where they cobbled together an old case and board, new battery and hard drive. Practically new, and for cheap. :mrgreen:

We have an AV receiver with decent speakers as part of a modest home theater in our living room. The CD player is hooked up to that.

On the rare occasions I have use of the living room to myself, actually playing a CD through real speakers is a much more satisfying experience than playing music either on my PC (and its modest little desktop speakers) or on phone or tablet, through earbuds.

Though yes, most of my listening is ripped mp3's on a mobile device, through earbuds.

Weetabix

Postby Weetabix » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:08 am

This little bad boy has excellent sound.

HTRN
Probably Unemployed

Postby HTRN » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:47 am

Greg wrote:
HTRN wrote:Did Sony ever make those jukeboxes for DVDs?

I don't think so. Not entirely sure. The tech's a dead end anyway.

I just looked, and they did indeed make a 400 dosc blu ray player in 2009.

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:21 am

I like the CDs too, but I am going to be moving soon, and it was easier to move that monster to the trash bin for somebody else to take away, than to pack it up to move myself. The 20+ year old shelf system it was hooked to will likely be making the move though, because it works well enough for a garage stereo and I just have to get a cord so I can plug the ipod into it.

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:16 am

Just closed on the new place... 3 times the square footage (same for shop space), 3 times the bathrooms.. Now moving weekend from hell begins. :roll:

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:01 am

Netpackrat wrote:Just closed on the new place... 3 times the square footage (same for shop space), 3 times the bathrooms.. Now moving weekend from hell begins. :roll:

Sweet! Well not the moving part, I hate moving. But space, and bathrooms.

Vonz90
On a list somewhere

Postby Vonz90 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:26 am

Netpackrat wrote:Just closed on the new place... 3 times the square footage (same for shop space), 3 times the bathrooms.. Now moving weekend from hell begins. :roll:

Congratulations

HTRN
Probably Unemployed

Postby HTRN » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:48 am

Fun fact: a nasal decongestant containing Phenylephrine can help stop nosebleeds, also cotton balls saturated in it work better than toilet paper in many cases as you can get the packing farther in.

Tu e in tomorrow, same bat time, same bat station, and ill explain how to dissolve broken taps using something found in the pickling section of your grocery store. :ugeek:

Rumpshot
Active Shooter

Postby Rumpshot » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:52 pm

HTRN wrote:Fun fact: a nasal decongestant containing Phenylephrine can help stop nosebleeds, also cotton balls saturated in it work better than toilet paper in many cases as you can get the packing farther in.

So does cauterization Chemical process these days. Near instant, long term relief. Beats the hell out of a tampon in the nostril for 3-4 days. Though there is so much relief when one comes out that it is almost worth it for that alone.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona

MarkD
Active Shooter

Postby MarkD » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:41 pm

Rumpshot wrote:
HTRN wrote:Fun fact: a nasal decongestant containing Phenylephrine can help stop nosebleeds, also cotton balls saturated in it work better than toilet paper in many cases as you can get the packing farther in.

So does cauterization Chemical process these days. Near instant, long term relief. Beats the hell out of a tampon in the nostril for 3-4 days. Though there is so much relief when one comes out that it is almost worth it for that alone.

Had.my nose.chemically cauterized a few years ago after getting a.daily nosebleed for about a month. Don't think I've had one since.

Odahi
Loose Cannon

Postby Odahi » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:18 pm

Netpackrat wrote: The 20+ year old shelf system it was hooked to will likely be making the move though, because it works well enough for a garage stereo and I just have to get a cord so I can plug the ipod into it.

I've been impressed with a company called Mediabridge, their stuff seems to be well made and relatively inexpensive for what they are (more reasonable than Monster, anyway) and have been trouble-free for me. Available at Amazon, of course, and most of them are Prime eligible.
Birds gotta swim, fish gotta fly, assholes gotta ass.

"Common sense" is an oxymoron.

randy

Postby randy » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:05 pm

Netpackrat wrote: The 20+ year old shelf system... works well enough for a garage stereo and I just have to get a cord so I can plug the ipod into it.

I've moved away from physically hooking my devices into the stereo systems in the house, as I was always either leaving my phone/tablet in the wrong room when I wanted it. I also had the jack go bad one one phone some time back.

I got a Chromecast Audio unit for my main (and older) stereo system. Works through house WiFi, plugs into an aux jack. I think there are Bluetooth units on the market as well.

Works great with my Android devices, which both have SD Cards large enough to hold my entire MP3 collection, as well streaming radio stations and XM . I think my daughter got it working with her I-Phone without much problem. Not bad for under $40 at Best Buy.

When we re-did the bedroom last year, got a bookshelf unit with built in Bluetooth. I rarely use the RF tuner and almost never the CD/MP3 player.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".

HTRN
Probably Unemployed

Postby HTRN » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:30 pm

Rumpshot wrote:So does cauterization Chemical process these days. Near instant, long term relief. Beats the hell out of a tampon in the nostril for 3-4 days. Though there is so much relief when one comes out that it is almost worth it for that alone.

The ER docs wouldn't do cauterization, so it was a plug up the nose, and the ENT wouldn't do it, because if the amount of time that had passed, he couldn't be sure exactly where the bleeding was. :roll:

Weetabix

Postby Weetabix » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:47 am

Don't know whence this thought sprang, but did anyone else have a mom who made home decor (wreaths, trees, etc) from IBM punched cards? My dad was a programmer from the 70's through around the mid 2000's. In the early days, he had a surfeit of those things and he'd bring them home for my brother and me to color on. My mom made stuff with them.

PunchedCardWreath.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vonz90
On a list somewhere

Postby Vonz90 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:55 pm

Here is a thought. Remake Gilligan's Island with all of the same plots and such but this time with premise revised so that it is clearly all some type of experiment being conducted and eventually the castaways start to suspect that one of them is working for whomever is conducting the experiment.

Hey - I did not say it was a good thought.

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:16 am

Vonz90 wrote:Here is a thought. Remake Gilligan's Island with all of the same plots and such but this time with premise revised so that it is clearly all some type of experiment being conducted and eventually the castaways start to suspect that one of them is working for whomever is conducting the experiment.

And the only way to get off the island is kill Gilligan. Of course.

HTRN
Probably Unemployed

Postby HTRN » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:53 pm

Greg wrote:
Vonz90 wrote:Here is a thought. Remake Gilligan's Island with all of the same plots and such but this time with premise revised so that it is clearly all some type of experiment being conducted and eventually the castaways start to suspect that one of them is working for whomever is conducting the experiment.

Better yet, hint at a conspiracy during all of the first season, and only reveal, to the audience only, that gilligan is the one behind it during the season finale. :shock: :ugeek:

Vonz90
On a list somewhere

Postby Vonz90 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:59 pm

HTRN wrote:
Greg wrote:

Better yet, hint at a conspiracy during all of the first season, and only reveal, to the audience only, that gilligan is the one behind it during the season finale. :shock: :ugeek:

I would go for the twist ending. The build up seems to suggest it Gilligan until the final season, finally the Skipper, Prof and Mr. Howell confront him and kill him, then in the end it is revealed that it was actually Maryanne behind it all (or Mrs. Howell - depending on how you want to play it.)

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:47 am

Vonz90 wrote:
HTRN wrote:
Greg wrote:

I would go for the twist ending. The build up seems to suggest it Gilligan until the final season, finally the Skipper, Prof and Mr. Howell confront him and kill him, then in the end it is revealed that it was actually Maryanne behind it all (or Mrs. Howell - depending on how you want to play it.)

You're all missing the point.

The whole meaning of Gilligan's Island, the fundamental premise the whole thing is based on, is that you will never leave the island while Gilligan is alive.

Vonz90
On a list somewhere

Postby Vonz90 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:54 am

Greg wrote:
Vonz90 wrote:
HTRN wrote:
Greg wrote:

The whole meaning of Gilligan's Island, the fundamental premise the whole thing is based on, is that you will never leave the island while Gilligan is alive.

But if there is no twist, then there is no reason to make a new one.

Vonz90
On a list somewhere

Postby Vonz90 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:57 am

Vonz90 wrote:
Greg wrote:
Vonz90 wrote:
HTRN wrote:
Greg wrote:

Of course you could make it a double twist and they kill Gilligan, get off the island, and then find out he was just an innocent dupe and someone else was behind it.

Rich
On a list somewhere

Postby Rich » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:38 am

Of course you could make it a double twist and they kill Gilligan, get off the island, and then find out he was just an innocent dupe and someone else Trump was behind it.

We are talking about Hollywood, aren't we?
A weak government usually remains a servant of citizens, while a strong government usually becomes the master of its subjects.
- paraphrased from several sources

A choice, not an echo. - Goldwater campaign, 1964

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:13 am

Vonz90 wrote:
Vonz90 wrote:
Greg wrote:
Vonz90 wrote:
HTRN wrote:Better yet, hint at a conspiracy during all of the first season, and only reveal, to the audience only, that gilligan is the one behind it during the season finale. :shock: :ugeek:

Of course you could make it a double twist and they kill Gilligan, get off the island, and then find out he was just an innocent dupe and someone else was behind it.

Good point, it does need a twist or why do it?

I'd go all surreal with it, is it real or not? Tease it a little. Reveal little by little that it might indeed be a dream.....

The viewpoint character is in extended adolescence refusing to grow up. Maybe he's having a fever dream, maybe he's on drugs. Maybe.....

Gilligan's been his friend since grade school, but now is a meth-cooking ne'er do well.

The Howell's are his neighbors.

The Professor is a friend of his parents who owns a company and is trying to offer him a job.

Mary Ann is someone he's been sweet on since college but never quite connected with, because she thinks he's still a little immature. They keep in touch.

Ginger is a tatoo'ed and pierced, hot but damaged chickie who's a barista at the coffee place near where he lives. She's 'available', comes on to him on occasion, but it sure wouldn't go anywhere meaningful.

'The Island' is him being trapped in the stagnation of his own life. He needs to realize what Gilligan is, ditch him, get the hell off the island without getting Ginger pregnant, so he can make a real life with Mary Ann.

Weetabix

Postby Weetabix » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:45 pm

You guys are so weird.

Frankingun
Trigger Junkie

Postby Frankingun » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:03 pm

Or a reveal that Gillilan is really an unseen entity like Robin Masters/Higgins, ala Magnum, P.I.
Buy ammunition and magazines.

You'll shoot your eye out!

Another blog.

HTRN
Probably Unemployed

Postby HTRN » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:48 am

Frankingun wrote:Or a reveal that Gillilan is really an unseen entity like Robin Masters/Higgins, ala Magnum, P.I.

Yes, thats what i was getting at. Only the audience doesnt find out till the series finale, meanwhile the audiencs has known sincs the season 1 finale. :ugeek:

Steamforger
On a list somewhere

Postby Steamforger » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:24 am

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:43 am

Steamforger wrote:Yikes

Mike Walker saved that dude's life.

Denis

Postby Denis » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:54 pm

Netpackrat wrote:

I hope he had that rifle magnafluxed or crack tested before putting it back in service...

Vonz90
On a list somewhere

Postby Vonz90 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:33 pm

Denis wrote:
Netpackrat wrote:

I hope he had that rifle magnafluxed or crack tested before putting it back in service...

It is all good, he just re-proof tested it.

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:32 pm

A moose has parked itself next to my house right in front of my downstairs window. So, I opened the upstairs window and dropped a loogie on its back... Seemed to be the thing to do.

Weetabix

Postby Weetabix » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:47 pm

Netpackrat wrote:A moose has parked itself next to my house right in front of my downstairs window. So, I opened the upstairs window and dropped a loogie on its back... Seemed to be the thing to do.

Literal LOL. :lol:

Termite
Probably Unemployed

Postby Termite » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:12 am

asthmuth.jpg

Hat tip to Pawpaw.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."

Denis

Postby Denis » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:42 pm

Netpackrat wrote:A moose has parked itself next to my house right in front of my downstairs window. So, I opened the upstairs window and dropped a loogie on its back... Seemed to be the thing to do.

http://honest-food.net/cut-flat-iron-steak/

Rustyv
Case Shiner

Postby Rustyv » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:04 pm

Termite wrote:
asthmuth.jpg

Hat tip to Pawpaw.

If that were a dude instead of a chick, I'm pretty sure I talked to them 2 months ago...

"What's an azimuth?
"Where you aim the thing I'm paying you to install."
"Which part of the thing?"
"The part that says 'point towards supplied azimuth'"
"Ok, but what's an azimuth?"
:|
Welcome to the internet: Where men are men, women are men, and children are FBI agents.

Dance like it hurts, Love like you need the money, Work like people are watching - Scott Adams

HTRN
Probably Unemployed

Postby HTRN » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:52 pm

Fuck winter.

That is all.

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:44 pm

HTRN wrote:Fuck winter.

That is all.

Sideways.

Weetabix

Postby Weetabix » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:55 am

I know, right? It was like 40 degrees here to day and spitting flurries!

/ducks and runs :lol:

Jericho941

Postby Jericho941 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:19 am

Here’s one thing to keep in mind when you talk about Admiral Thomas C. Hart’s relief for political reasons.

Before his relief, the US Asiatic Fleet had not lost a single vessel. They had engaged in four battles, one of which was even a much-needed victory - Balikpapan. But not a single ship was lost.

Two weeks after he was relieved, 19 of 40 ships had slipped beneath the waves. Within ninety days of the start of WWII, the Asiatic Fleet had ceased to exist – and of that time, every ship was afloat for seventy of them.

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:14 pm

HTRN wrote:Fuck winter.

That is all.

Stop stealing our snow already.

We normally get something like 17". The recent storm that zapped you hit us first, raising our total for this winter from 1" to, um, 2".

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:18 pm

Something I realized consciously today - people don't do things ironically here.

It is almost indescribably refreshing.

Weetabix

Postby Weetabix » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:35 am

I'm a little glad I don't know what that means.

HTRN
Probably Unemployed

Postby HTRN » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:04 pm

I think im going to take my portaband to work tomorrow, as the damn new behringer saw is slightly less complicated to operate than a shuttle launch..

SERIOSLY, WHY IN THE BLUE FUCK IS EVERYTHING IN PICTOGRAMS AND COMPLETELY NON INTUTIVE ON A GODDAMN BANDSAW?!

Jericho941

Postby Jericho941 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:55 am

Today seems to be the kind of day where the cashier forgets to take the magnetic nonsense off your booze and you find a lump in your scrotum

Cobar
Trigger Junkie

Postby Cobar » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:19 am

HTRN wrote:SERIOSLY, WHY IN THE BLUE FUCK IS EVERYTHING IN PICTOGRAMS AND COMPLETELY NON INTUTIVE ON A GODDAMN BANDSAW?!

The new EC500 we have is like that. Rapid is rabbit, single block is a line drawing of steps....

Darrell

Postby Darrell » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:46 am

You should see the pictograms for the controls on a German large format printing press. They're like Egyptian hieroglyphics. They used to dumb them down for Americans, labeling them in English, but stopped it ten years or so ago.
Eppur si muove--Galileo

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:16 pm

HTRN wrote:I think im going to take my portaband to work tomorrow, as the damn new behringer saw is slightly less complicated to operate than a shuttle launch..

SERIOSLY, WHY IN THE BLUE FUCK IS EVERYTHING IN PICTOGRAMS AND COMPLETELY NON INTUTIVE ON A GODDAMN BANDSAW?!

Post-literate society.

Actually large portions of it going directly from pre- to post-, without stopping at actual 'literate' along the way.

HTRN
Probably Unemployed

Postby HTRN » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:36 pm

Greg wrote:
HTRN wrote:I think im going to take my portaband to work tomorrow, as the damn new behringer saw is slightly less complicated to operate than a shuttle launch..

Post-literate society.

Actually large portions of it going directly from pre- to post-, without stopping at actual 'literate' along the way.

No, its a case of language, there's on screen menus in English, but all the hard buttons are pictograms. You don't let illiterates operate a saw that costs more than a Porsche..

HTRN
Probably Unemployed

Postby HTRN » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:49 pm

And on top of everything else, I broke a @$%($- haimer tip today... :roll:

Cobar
Trigger Junkie

Postby Cobar » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:19 am

I've only busted two. Haven't checked but I bet they cost a lot.

HTRN
Probably Unemployed

Postby HTRN » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:22 am

Cobar wrote:I've only busted two. Haven't checked but I bet they cost a lot.

Theyre around 50 bucks, lots cheaper than renishaw tips...

Which is why i wont touch in machine probing.. :ugeek:

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:35 am

HTRN wrote:
Greg wrote:

Post-literate society.

No, its a case of language, there's on screen menus in English, but all the hard buttons are pictograms. You don't let illiterates operate a saw that costs more than a Porsche..

You really shouldn't set yourself up like that. ;)

HTRN
Probably Unemployed

Postby HTRN » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:27 am

It has nothing to do with literacy the way youre implying with pre and post, more like, buried in the settings is a language selector for the software, so they can ship them anywhere in the world, and not have to do special hardware..

Darrell

Postby Darrell » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:40 am

HTRN wrote:It has nothing to do with literacy the way youre implying with pre and post, more like, buried in the settings is a language selector for the software, so they can ship them anywhere in the world, and not have to do special hardware..

We had some large format guillotine cutters made in Switzerland that were the same way. I'd occasionally go out while the operators were at break, get into the service menus, and switch them to Japanese. My humor was not appreciated.
Eppur si muove--Galileo

Cobar
Trigger Junkie

Postby Cobar » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:56 am

HTRN wrote:Which is why i wont touch in machine probing.. :ugeek:

I'm addicted to the renishaws we use in the horizontals. Haven't broke those yet, you really need to push one to break it.

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:39 am

Yet again contradicting one of their previous opinion letters, ATF has decided that wipes are once again silencer parts:

https://www.facebook.com/DeadAirSilence ... 5015529525

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:26 pm

Played laser tag for the first time the other day. That was fun!

Also bowled for only the third time since Reagan was President. I almost remember how. :)

HTRN
Probably Unemployed

Postby HTRN » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:27 pm

I may not be getting a vmx 30 after all. Theres some confusion on wether it has been sold already by the machinery dealer who took the rest of the old Hurcos. :|

evan price
Trigger Junkie

Postby evan price » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:26 pm

SO I come in to work tonight to the following messages on the log:

Machine 67 internal communication problems module 21, can not resolve, module 21 disabled
Machine 67 RFID communication problems module 23, can not resolve, module 23 disabled
Machine 67 D-node RFID comm failure, stations 19-24 disabled
Machine 67 D-node continuing random errors despite being disabled
Machine 67 D-node comm board caught fire @ station 23 connection socket, cable and board on order
Machine 67 A B & C nodes fully functional; laser operating @ 1300 units/hr
Machine 67 operator requires new underpants, please order.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!

Jericho941

Postby Jericho941 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:31 am

Today, I learned:

Last year, on, 18 February, 2016, the Royal Air Force Search and Rescue Force was officially disbanded.
They provided around-the-clock aeronautical search and rescue cover in Cyprus and the Falkland Islands. Originally established in 1941 as the Air Sea Rescue, since aircrew who ditched over the English Channel had only a 20% chance of returning to their squadrons, the SARF evolved in 1986 to be helicopter-borne.
They had probably the best motto I’ve ever heard from a military force; not because of it being badass, but because it’s defiant in the effort of saving lives.
The Sea Shall Not Have Them.

Vonz90
On a list somewhere

Postby Vonz90 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:27 pm

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/ ... 6-19-18-51

Why, just why? I am not really big on eating dogs, but it is their culture, WTF? Spend that money someplace useful.

HTRN
Probably Unemployed

Postby HTRN » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:46 pm

HTRN wrote:I may not be getting a vmx 30 after all. Theres some confusion on wether it has been sold already by the machinery dealer who took the rest of the old Hurcos. :|

It was confirmed Sunday, the machine has been sold. :(

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:22 am

Don't want to necro the gun lube thread.

Needed to buy some oil for the lawnmower today. Picked up a jug of generic 10w-30 which is what Honda recommends. 5 quart jug should last me a year or two. Actually changing the oil was easy.. once I remembered how to do it. But that's true of many things you don't do often.

Anyway, while I was in the store I also bought a quart of 5w-20 Mobil 1 full synthetic. Not for my lawnmower. ;)

MarkD
Active Shooter

Postby MarkD » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:47 pm

My wife has been sick with a cold for most of the last week, and generous person that she is she shared it with me. I feel like something that was shot at and missed, then shit at and hit.

HTRN
Probably Unemployed

Postby HTRN » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:15 pm

Greg wrote:Don't want to necro the gun lube thread.

Needed to buy some oil for the lawnmower today. Picked up a jug of generic 10w-30 which is what Honda recommends. 5 quart jug should last me a year or two. Actually changing the oil was easy.. once I remembered how to do it. But that's true of many things you don't do often.

Anyway, while I was in the store I also bought a quart of 5w-20 Mobil 1 full synthetic. Not for my lawnmower. ;)

The thing to use wasnt motot oil, but atf. But it stains, has an odor, and isnt non toxic. If your shopping at the auto parts store for gun oil, a better bet is "nyoil", they also sell it on Amazon. Frankly the best option according to the grant cunningham article, is Lubriplate FMO-350- AW, but that only comes in large quantities (Amazon only sells it in 4 packs of a gallon, for 140 dollars). Lubrikits.com sells it sub divided into smaller 4 oz containers for 9 bucks. They also sell a grease kit/oil combo for 17 bucks that pretyy much covers 99% of your gun lube needs.

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:24 pm

HTRN wrote:

The thing to use wasnt motot oil, but atf. But it stains, has an odor, and isnt non toxic. If your shopping at the auto parts store for gun oil, a better bet is "nyoil", they also sell it on Amazon. Frankly the best option according to the grant cunningham article, is Lubriplate FMO-350- AW, but that only comes in large quantities (Amazon only sells it in 4 packs of a gallon, for 140 dollars). Lubrikits.com sells it sub divided into smaller 4 oz containers for 9 bucks. They also sell a grease kit/oil combo for 17 bucks that pretyy much covers 99% of your gun lube needs.

I wonder if anybody has ever tried power steering fluid? It's synthetic with similar properties as ATF (since older PS systems used ATF), mostly colorless, and doesn't seem to stink.

HTRN
Probably Unemployed

Postby HTRN » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:18 am

Why bother? A gallon of fmo350aw is 25 bucks plus shipping on ebay.

Admittedly, you have the whole alaska problem, but the next time you're in an auto parts store, check to see if they have nyoil..

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:06 am

Why would I need a food grade oil?

HTRN
Probably Unemployed

Postby HTRN » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:25 pm

Netpackrat wrote:Why would I need a food grade oil?

Go read the grant cunningham article

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:11 pm

Did I miss a link? Also, who is Grant Cunningham, and why do I care?

TheArmsman
Case Shiner

Postby TheArmsman » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:05 pm

HTRN wrote:

HRTN, are these the articles to which you are referring too?

http://www.grantcunningham.com/2006/05/lubrication-101/
http://www.grantcunningham.com/2012/07/ ... your-guns/
When death is inevitable, style counts.

Survival trumps programming.

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:18 pm

HTRN wrote:

Why do I want something that stains, and is toxic?

Note, I also have knives and various other tools.

I use mineral oil on anything that has a chance to touch food - it's food grade, buy it in the laxative aisle at the store. But the mineral oil doesn't seem to be particularly great as a lubricant.

HTRN
Probably Unemployed

Postby HTRN » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:52 am

TheArmsman wrote:
HTRN wrote:

HRTN, are these the articles to which you are referring too?

http://www.grantcunningham.com/2006/05/lubrication-101/
http://www.grantcunningham.com/2012/07/ ... your-guns/

Yes. There's a lot of snake oil being sold these days as gun lube. You can buy a gallon of the fmo350aw off of eBay for 40 bucks, and unless you're an armorer or are named ,"Candyman" :mrgreen: it will be enough to last five lifetimes

HTRN
Probably Unemployed

Postby HTRN » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:58 am

Netpackrat wrote:Did I miss a link? Also, who is Grant Cunningham, and why do I care?

Grant Cunningham, is a gunsmith who posted a couple of articles debunking miracle gun lube, what's cheap that works, and supposedly spoke with triboligists(oil engineers) before writing said articles. I don't know how true the last part is, but my limited knowledge of oil and grease(relatively speaking) makes my gut feeling that he's on the money.

Frankly the toxic issue is less of a concern than a staining issue do you plan on licking your pistol slide? At most it might be a skin irritant from incidental contact. The reason why motor oil is a bad idea, is they typically contain benzene, which causes oxidation issues.

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:24 pm

Weetabix

Postby Weetabix » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:33 pm

When I'm sealing drawings for NYC, I like to play Soviet marching songs loudly, stamp the drawing angrily, and shout, "Nyet, tovarisch! Your request for food is denied!" 8-)

HTRN
Probably Unemployed

Postby HTRN » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:37 am

Weetabix wrote:When I'm sealing drawings for NYC, I like to play Soviet marching songs loudly, stamp the drawing angrily, and shout, "Nyet, tovarisch! Your request for food is denied!" 8-)

But the russian tea room hasnt been the same since it closed the first time in 96... :ugeek: :mrgreen:

Vonz90
On a list somewhere

Postby Vonz90 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:01 pm

The living hell of sitting in a waiting room with a loud TV going. Arg.

Weetabix

Postby Weetabix » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:40 pm

I turn them down. Nobody has pitched a fit yet.

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:41 pm

Bumper sticker seen this morning:

"Alaska is full. I hear the Yukon is nice."

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:02 am

Why was the United Airlines thread locked?

Steamforger
On a list somewhere

Postby Steamforger » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:05 am

What little I read of it seemed that it was turning into a shit show.

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:23 am

So warn the people who are going too far, like it is done every other time members start to get personal.

randy

Postby randy » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:08 pm

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=27710#p332384

Warning flag here guys. Some of the comments are getting personal.

I'm not the one that locked it, but I don't disagree.

I tend to drop general warning flags as opposed to pinging individual members as I don't want such warnings to become a personal issue.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".

Return to “Random”