Does not follow...

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
randy

Re: Does not follow...

Post by randy »

What if the Luftwaffe had continued pounding the RAF fighter bases in 1940 instead of switching to cities.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Precision

Post by Precision »

The war would have ended the same way, but a bit slower and England would have had a much more miserable time. Perhaps they wouldn't be such patsies today???
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Greg wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:06 pm
The opposing what-if is, what it the Kiwis guarding Maleme airfield hadn't decided to just leave and the Allies keep Crete.
I would argue that the Kiwis saved the war for the allies. If the Germans fail in Crete, they are more worried about the war in the West and cancel operation Barbarossa. Without the pro Russian intellectuals supporting US helping them, we probably never get in the war, or at least not until more than a limited victory is too costly.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Vonz90 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:06 pm
Greg wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:06 pm
The opposing what-if is, what it the Kiwis guarding Maleme airfield hadn't decided to just leave and the Allies keep Crete.
I would argue that the Kiwis saved the war for the allies. If the Germans fail in Crete, they are more worried about the war in the West and cancel operation Barbarossa. Without the pro Russian intellectuals supporting US helping them, we probably never get in the war, or at least not until more than a limited victory is too costly.
I had considered that and decided against. Not subduing or coming to some kind of understanding with Britain was insufficient to cause enough worry about the war in the west to cancel Barbarossa. Not sure Crete would have been enough of an additional worry after that, but maybe.

German command authority could be unpredictable after all.

My own thought was it would be kind of like a somewhat larger Malta... an annoyance for the Axis that turns into an attritional situation. Suspect the Germans would alternate between periodically leveling it with air attacks, then ignoring it.

It wouldn't be a very good base for operating conventional massed medium/heavy bombers for the British. Too difficult to properly supply, and too much and too harsh terrain between where you'd likely unload ships and where you'd likely build the airfields. But it seems like operating Mosquito's out of there could have a lot of potential.

Flipping both, Crete for Malta, seems to me like a small net gain for the Axis. Italians would have an easier time maintaining supply lines to North Africa, but might feel the need to garrison Greece and thereabouts more heavily.
Last edited by Greg on Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I bought the 15 acres behind my son's house late last year so no one else would buy it. When we get around to it, I'll sell him the 5 acres contiguous to his property.

Now, he's got us looking at tractors. I may end up half owner of a Farmall that's older than I am.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Greg

Post by Greg »

Weetabix wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:45 pm I bought the 15 acres behind my son's house late last year so no one else would buy it. When we get around to it, I'll sell him the 5 acres contiguous to his property.
AWESOME.
Now, he's got us looking at tractors. I may end up half owner of a Farmall that's older than I am.
Uh oh.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
randy

Post by randy »

Greg wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:38 pm
It wouldn't be a very good base for operating conventional massed medium/heavy bombers for the British. Too difficult to properly supply, and too much and too harsh terrain between where you'd likely unload ships and where you'd likely build the airfields. But it seems like operating Mosquito's out of there could have a lot of potential.
It would have made operations supporting SOE and OSS missions in Greece and The Balkans easier logistically.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Weetabix wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:45 pmNow, he's got us looking at tractors. I may end up half owner of a Farmall that's older than I am.
I learned to drive on a Farmall Super H. :ugeek:

Be very careful with those croprow tractors, they flip easy. Are you looking to buy an H or a M?
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

HTRN wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:50 am
Weetabix wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:45 pmNow, he's got us looking at tractors. I may end up half owner of a Farmall that's older than I am.
I learned to drive on a Farmall Super H. :ugeek:

Be very careful with those croprow tractors, they flip easy. Are you looking to buy an H or a M?
It's a 706 from 1963. It's older than I am. :shock:
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

If you were closer I've got a '41 Ford 9N I'm done with that I'd make you sweet deal on.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story