Does not follow...

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
HTRN

Re: Does not follow...

Post by HTRN »

No, but why are you bothering? TPGs and TNMGs are stupid cheap and last longer. I've seen them as cheap as 3 bucks an insert.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Was going to get this set; was recommended by my friend as something to get me started:

https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzl ... pc-/T10437

Just wanted to know if I need to make a special tool, that I don't need to buy a new grinder. Keep in mind that I am proceeding largely from a position of ignorance here. I know that I want a lathe to be able to do things which I currently can't, but I have minimal experience with them. I used an old Craftsman/Atlas with much help briefly in high school shop class to do a couple minor tasks, but beyond that I haven't used one. I also know that the average lathe wants only two things out of life; to kill its operator, and to fall over on its face where all the controls are.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

A belt grinder should work, but you may want to invest in some zirconium oxide belts, they last significantly longer.

You should also plan on buying tool blocks for the included qctp, the webpage says you only get one. I suggest looking at cdco for them. Plan on replacing the cheap shitty grub acres included. Also if it's a piston type qctp, and not a sliding wedge, you may want to upgrade - I personally hate the piston setup, and would recommend buying a used Aloris.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Supposed to be a copy of the Aloris style. The spare tool holders I ordered actually arrived today from Victor; I bought one each of the #1, #2, and #7 holders.

https://www.victornet.com/subdepartment ... s/530.html

Since the machine comes with one, that will give me 4 to get started with. My local friend said the same thing about the crappy screws on the cheaper tool holders.

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Netpackrat wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:45 pm Supposed to be a copy of the Aloris style.
Doesn't mean it's a good copy. :ugeek:

I think the phase II is the best of the bunch.

If you're not buying quality blocks like Aloris, which even used can run 50 bucks a pop, you might as well buy super cheap. Cdco has the cheapest blocks around,. Stirling and facing block from them in bxa is 13 bucks, and you're gonna want one for each oh the insert toolholders.

Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Dang. Yeah, that's cheap.

Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

The available array of carbide inserts is fairly mind boggling. I think I am starting to figure out what I need. Looks like I will need some specifically for non-ferrous metals, which of course Grizzly doesn't carry to fit the tool holders I was going to get. But they are around on Ebay, McMaster, etc.

And yeah, more of the quick change blocks. I have been watching the "Blondihacks" lathe video series on YouTube, and she seems to have nearly a drawer full of them.

Also trying to figure out how to rearrange part of my shop to fit the lathe... I know where I am going to put it, but still trying to hammer out how to distribute the items currently located there (drill press, hydraulic press, various grinders...). Luckily there's still a bit of space that isn't yet optimally used, as well as a couple of refugee workbenches left over from my old shop, that need to be replaced and/or discarded.

HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Netpackrat wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:46 am The available array of carbide inserts is fairly mind boggling. I think I am starting to figure out what I need. Looks like I will need some specifically for non-ferrous metals, which of course Grizzly doesn't carry to fit the tool holders I was going to get. But they are around on Ebay, McMaster, etc.
Ebay is going to be your cheapest option, McMaster is going to be one your priciest. You also might want to look into Carbidedepot.com

Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Being the contrarian that I am, everyone else is getting the Covid but I went a different direction with it and caught a stomach virus. So ha ha (after a day and a half of dry heaves and nausea, I am thinking maybe the Covid wouk d have been a better choice).
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Everybody I have heard from who has had the Covid says it's not something you want to tangle with.

OTOH, I normally seem to catch every little bug that comes along. Turns out (knock on wood) the anti-covid measures seem to have been effective against all of the regular shit I usually get, so far.