Does not follow...

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
HTRN
Probably Unemployed

Re: Does not follow...

Postby HTRN » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:52 pm

How is it possible to spend 350 dollars at costco, and not really buy anything?! :shock: :(
EGO partum , proinde EGO sum

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:48 pm

HTRN wrote:How is it possible to spend 350 dollars at costco, and not really buy anything?! :shock: :(

Damn, you go through a lot of toilet paper. :lol:

Sorry. That happens to me too, all the little things you use up that you buy in vast bulk to restock - toilet paper of course, paper towels, laundry detergent, tin foil.... Plus, oh I need some socks, a button down shirt, AA rechargeable batteries, pens, yeah it's weird.

But it's all cheaper at Costco, or at least no more expensive than other places. It's just a shock when you get all those things in one place, all at once.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr

First Shirt
Active Shooter

Postby First Shirt » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:24 pm

Reorganizing a 12-gun safe to hold 16 long guns and 8 revolvers is a lot more work than it should be. Still need to find a place to store the flintlocks and a couple of autoloading handguns.

On the plus side, I've managed to delay buying a new gun safe for a little while.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom

HTRN
Probably Unemployed

Postby HTRN » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:54 pm

Greg wrote:
HTRN wrote:How is it possible to spend 350 dollars at costco, and not really buy anything?! :shock: :(

Damn, you go through a lot of toilet paper. :lol:

Sorry. That happens to me too, all the little things you use up that you buy in vast bulk to restock - toilet paper of course, paper towels, laundry detergent, tin foil.... Plus, oh I need some socks, a button down shirt, AA rechargeable batteries, pens, yeah it's weird.

But it's all cheaper at Costco, or at least no more expensive than other places. It's just a shock when you get all those things in one place, all at once.

Lets see...
3 packages of garlic chicken
2 double packs of smoke detectors
A double pack of extension cords
A single 4 foot led fixture.
A box of mobile one
A 12v air compressor
A flat of coke in cans
A two pack of whole wheat bread
A package of mushrooms
A package of baby spinach
A 2 pack of mustard
A sleeve of tomato sauce
A package of croissants
A package of knish
A large salami
A sleeve of kraft cheese

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt

HTRN
Probably Unemployed

Postby HTRN » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:56 pm

And the sick thing is after hearing that at the register, the first thought in my head was "damn that could almost cover a pair of 80cf bottles from cyberweld.." :ugeek: :lol:

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:50 pm

randy wrote:http://theguncounter.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=27710#p332384

Warning flag here guys. Some of the comments are getting personal.

I'm not the one that locked it, but I don't disagree.

I tend to drop general warning flags as opposed to pinging individual members as I don't want such warnings to become a personal issue.

I do disagree.

1) It is punishing everybody who found value in that thread due to the postings of a few who (in your opinion) were going too far.

2) Plenty worse has been overlooked here with no action taken. All of the participants are big boys who are capable of defending themselves, and we don't really have any Ass-op types here anymore who care more about the argument than the subject matter (or each other).

3) TGC is still dying a slow death, so I think locking a topic that actually energizes the membership somewhat is counterproductive.

4) The topic in question is an ongoing news story that is still going to be discussed here one way or another, so if any action needs to be taken, cleaning up the original thread would have been a better solution.

I'm sorry I missed the fact that you issued a warning farther up. I will admit that I wasn't totally paying attention to the argument, and was mainly skimming the thread for anything of interest to me. But still, I hadn't seen anything that I though warranted locking. Maybe now that everybody involved has had a day or so to cool off, a better course of action would be to unlock the thread, and then merge the new one into it.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop

HTRN
Probably Unemployed

Postby HTRN » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:52 am

Just scrolled through my instagram feed , saw a photo of a prius with a bumper sticker pronouncing"Im saving fuel to buy more guns". :shock:

Ill admit it, i laffed. :lol:

HTRN
Probably Unemployed

Postby HTRN » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:10 pm

So i just did the plugsinthe beater and I think I found the cause of the check engine light- the old plugs looklike the insideof a weber grill. :shock: :roll:

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:24 pm

I made my own butter for the first time today. We had a container of cream that had just a little left, so I poured it into a jar and started shaking.

Took hardly any time at all before it went to whipped cream, and then on past, separating out into solids and liquid.

I drank the buttermilk. Oh my but that was a treat.

Then I ate part of a baguette with soft sweet freshly made butter. That went well.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:50 pm

Had a bit of a problem a few days back, and it looks like I'm going to need a new mower blade. (Just cleaned and inspected the mower.)

Those things appear to be practically disposable.

Vonz90
Active Shooter

Postby Vonz90 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:04 am

Happy Easter

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:28 am

HTRN wrote:So i just did the plugsinthe beater and I think I found the cause of the check engine light- the old plugs looklike the insideof a weber grill. :shock: :roll:

It's really amazing how bad the plugs can get in a modern computer controlled engine, and have it still run mostly OK.

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop

MarkD
Active Shooter

Postby MarkD » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:10 pm

Greg wrote:I made my own butter for the first time today. We had a container of cream that had just a little left, so I poured it into a jar and started shaking.

Took hardly any time at all before it went to whipped cream, and then on past, separating out into solids and liquid.

Then I ate part of a baguette with soft sweet freshly made butter. That went well.

Some years ago my wife and I are in an Irish pub in NJ, and afterward I had an Irish Coffee (like you do). The whipped cream had been over-whipped and turned into butter, when I told the waitress she didn't believe me until she tasted it herself, and then she said "My God, that IS butter!" Yeah, I know the difference in taste between whipped cream and butter, even after a handful of Guinesses (Guini?)

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:47 am

MarkD wrote:
Greg wrote:I made my own butter for the first time today. We had a container of cream that had just a little left, so I poured it into a jar and started shaking.

Some years ago my wife and I are in an Irish pub in NJ, and afterward I had an Irish Coffee (like you do). The whipped cream had been over-whipped and turned into butter, when I told the waitress she didn't believe me until she tasted it herself, and then she said "My God, that IS butter!" Yeah, I know the difference in taste between whipped cream and butter, even after a handful of Guinesses (Guini?)

The one and only time I took my wife to Cold Stone Creamery, she ordered strawberry ice cream. They must have had a screw up with the recipe or something, because what she got was more like strawberry flavored butter.

We never went back, and we still joke about the strawberry butter. I guess that's a possible failure mode of super duper excessively high milk fat ultra premium ice cream - it just might come out as butter.

dfwmtx
Trigger Junkie

Postby dfwmtx » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:50 pm

N/t
IMG_6287.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Arms are honor; slaves have neither."

"I am Chaos, I am alive...and I tell you that you are free!" -Eris Discordia

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:43 pm

Need a torque wrench for the mower blade replacement.

A good one goes for $140!!!!!!!!!

So I bought the $20 Harbor Freight torque wrench of shame. We'll see how it goes.

First Shirt
Active Shooter

Postby First Shirt » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:51 pm

You don't need a torque wrench! Tighten it down until just before it breaks, that's good enough. If it breaks, you've over-torqued it.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:14 pm

I typically give it a few hits with air impact and call it good. Remove the same way.

HTRN
Probably Unemployed

Postby HTRN » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:27 pm

Greg wrote:Need a torque wrench for the mower blade replacement.

So I bought the $20 Harbor Freight torque wrench of shame. We'll see how it goes.

Didn't I just write about my recent experience with a horror fright torque wrench?

Short answer: don't. :|

Go buy a good one on eBay used.

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:50 pm

First Shirt wrote:You don't need a torque wrench! Tighten it down until just before it breaks, that's good enough. If it breaks, you've over-torqued it.

:lol:

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:52 pm

HTRN wrote:
Greg wrote:Need a torque wrench for the mower blade replacement.

Didn't I just write about my recent experience with a horror fright torque wrench?

Short answer: don't. :|

Go buy a good one on eBay used.

I'm already a little overdue for mowing. Just replaced the mower blade so I can mow this evening or tomorrow.

I can start looking on eBay for future reference.

MarkD
Active Shooter

Postby MarkD » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:41 pm

Today's Java update screwed up our terminal software so we can't log in. The terminal software is one of the biggest kluges I've seen in over 30 years as a programmer (the OFFICIAL directions for signing in include clicking past an invalid security certificate).

Fun times.

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:02 am

My 5 year old's new favorite video.... I think we both won the lottery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e12wm_mGqY

Steamforger
On a list somewhere

Postby Steamforger » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:05 pm

My sister's patient this morning saw the flag raised on Iwo.

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:48 am

An acquaintance of ours, who happened to be 7 months pregnant, suddenly died yesterday. The baby didn't make it.

That's about all we know at this point. Neither one of us is exactly happy at the news (yes, understatement) but it's hitting my wife a bit harder.

ETA: We're going to do what we can for the ones left behind, not sure yet what that's going to be. We weren't close, but still.
Last edited by Greg on Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

HTRN
Probably Unemployed

Postby HTRN » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:18 pm

Thinking about buying another suburban, a 3/4 ton this time. Got a bead on a 2005 in "hot rod red" out in Pa, at something approaching a sane price for the money, with some minor issues, the most troubling being that a) it has quadrasteer and b) doesnt work.

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:58 am

HTRN wrote:Thinking about buying another suburban, a 3/4 ton this time. Got a bead on a 2005 in "hot rod red" out in Pa, at something approaching a sane price for the money, with some minor issues, the most troubling being that a) it has quadrasteer and b) doesnt work.

I hope b) just means the quadrasteer is busted.

HTRN
Probably Unemployed

Postby HTRN » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:33 pm

It could be a bad actuator or control module, or it could be bad wiring - the former is easily fixed, just apply money, the second can be a nightmare chasing electrical gremlins. :ugeek:

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:43 pm

HTRN wrote:It could be a bad actuator or control module, or it could be bad wiring - the former is easily fixed, just apply money, the second can be a nightmare chasing electrical gremlins. :ugeek:

I was wondering, were you saying the quadrasteer doesn't work, or the whole vehicle doesn't work. :)

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:43 pm

A Home and Farm Supply store just opened in the next town over.

They had an entire fully stocked shelf of Minimags. Special packaging, it was 300 rds in a small cardboard box. Not the oblong 100 rd plastic boxes, but I have a few of those already.

The 36gr hollow points, for approx 8cents/rd.

I couldn't leave without buying one. Trying to decide if I should go back and get more.

HTRN
Probably Unemployed

Postby HTRN » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:09 pm

Greg wrote:
HTRN wrote:It could be a bad actuator or control module, or it could be bad wiring - the former is easily fixed, just apply money, the second can be a nightmare chasing electrical gremlins. :ugeek:

I was wondering, were you saying the quadrasteer doesn't work, or the whole vehicle doesn't work. :)

Doesnt matter, ads been pulled. Meanwhile theres a jackass on long island asking more money, for an older truck with higher mileage.. with the stipulation "no lowballers" :roll: i guess offering kbb book value, around 2/3rds of what hes asking is considered "lowballing". :roll:
Greg wrote:The 36gr hollow points, for approx 8cents/rd.

I've seen winchester 555 and dynapoint offered as cheap as 5 cents a round, but i dont know how good the 555 is, and the new dynapoints have a dubious reputation at best. The same etailer has automatch and a bunch of other federal offerings, many with free shipping, for .06 cents a round.

Denis
Good Christ I Need A Life

Postby Denis » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:38 am

HTRN wrote:The same etailer has automatch and a bunch of other federal offerings, many with free shipping, for .06 cents a round.

For .06 cents a round, I'll take as much as they have! Alas, I suspect a typo and it's US$0.06

Weetabix

Postby Weetabix » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:17 pm

Denis wrote:
HTRN wrote:The same etailer has automatch and a bunch of other federal offerings, many with free shipping, for .06 cents a round.

For .06 cents a round, I'll take as much as they have! Alas, I suspect a typo and it's US$0.06

Pedantic smart aleck! :lol:
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D

First Shirt
Active Shooter

Postby First Shirt » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:15 pm

That's what you get for letting lawyers have Internet access :lol:
Lindy Cooper Wisdom

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:25 am

Weetabix wrote:
Denis wrote:

Pedantic smart aleck! :lol:

But, but, what about the Minimags?

Looking around a little, which I haven't in months, (is gunbot still the place to comparison price shop?) $.08/per for Minimags looks like a *great* price.

It's that stupid 'Choot Em' packaging, 300 rds for something like 25 bucks.

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:17 am

I've been doing some historical reading, which has led me to various 'fill in the background' research tangents, which have led to some odd internet random walks....

I have a hard time finding any really good radial engines that don't trace their roots back to Wright Aeronautical. Either by getting their start by licensing a Wright design, or by licensing a design from a competitor that got *its* start when Wright's President left and took a bunch of engineers with him.

The Germans, Russians and Japanese all started that way. It's weird.

(Or Roy Fedden. I always tend to forget about British radials.)
Last edited by Greg on Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Darrell

Postby Darrell » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:22 am

I ran across a great demonstration of radial engines and how they work on YouTube a while back. This is part one, a guy built a very impressive wooden model:

https://youtu.be/qjnQKXNPsk4

Part two should be visible on the right from that page. The guy covers the workings in great detail. Before I watched the vids, I had no idea all (single row) radial engines have odd numbered cylinders.
Eppur si muove--Galileo

evan price
Trigger Junkie

Postby evan price » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:18 am

Greg wrote:I've been doing some historical reading, which has led me to various 'fill in the background' research tangents, which have led to some odd internet random walks....

I have a hard time finding any really good radial engines that don't trace their roots back to Wright Aeronautical. Either by getting their start by licensing a Wright design, or by licensing a design from a competitor that got *its* start when Wright's President left and took a bunch of engineers with him.

The Germans, Russians and Japanese all started that way. It's weird.

(Or Roy Fedden. I always tend to forget about British radials.)

Check out the Gnome engines.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:28 pm

evan price wrote:Check out the Gnome engines.

That suggestion has helped kill my entire morning. :)

My main area of historical interest is WW2, so I mostly overlooked them.

I knew vaguely that Gnome and Rhone made rotaries in WW1, merged at some point and later made radials.

Seems Gnome was a pioneer in 2 row radials - the earliest efforts failed but later after the merger Gnome-Rhone was among the first (or the first?) to build successful ones.

The Gnome-Rhone radials got their start from licensed Bristol (Roy Fedden again) designs, though in their own right in the early 30s or so they were among the industry leaders. By the time of WW2 they had fallen behind a bit, which is how I overlooked them.

Apparently the occupation ruined them. They were forbidden from working on/developing their own designs, and spent the war building old designs and BMWs under license. Oh and being horribly bombed. Interesting - I didn't know that what was left of the company was nationalized after the war and formed SNECMA.

I did know that SNECMAs famous product the Atar line of jet engines was developed by German engineers - former BMW in fact - recruited and imported for the task. Which kind of fits.

evan price
Trigger Junkie

Postby evan price » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:29 am

Greg wrote:
Seems Gnome was a pioneer in 2 row radials - the earliest efforts failed but later after the merger Gnome-Rhone was among the first (or the first?) to build successful ones.

The Gnome-Rhone radials got their start from licensed Bristol (Roy Fedden again) designs, though in their own right in the early 30s or so they were among the industry leaders. By the time of WW2 they had fallen behind a bit, which is how I overlooked them..

Gnome the company and Rhone the company competed as makers of rotary engines before they merged in about 1915 iirc. They built their own Delta and Le Rhone rotaries which were one of the most popular rotary engines used in ww1...even the Germans cloned them... but their designs started to fall short after ww1. That's when they licensed Bristol tech.
Gnome realized their Bristol licenses wouldn't keep them afloat so they developed the K-series, N-series and R-series. They were great motors but they didn't have the research capability of the British and Germans and then the Nazi occupation doomed them.
It's a great story of early aviation pioneering.

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:50 pm

evan price wrote:
Greg wrote:

The Gnome-Rhone radials got their start from licensed Bristol (Roy Fedden again) designs, though in their own right in the early 30s or so they were among the industry leaders. By the time of WW2 they had fallen behind a bit, which is how I overlooked them..

Gnome the company and Rhone the company competed as makers of rotary engines before they merged in about 1915 iirc. They built their own Delta and Le Rhone rotaries which were one of the most popular rotary engines used in ww1...even the Germans cloned them... but their designs started to fall short after ww1. That's when they licensed Bristol tech.
Gnome realized their Bristol licenses wouldn't keep them afloat so they developed the K-series, N-series and R-series. They were great motors but they didn't have the research capability of the British and Germans and then the Nazi occupation doomed them.
It's a great story of early aviation pioneering.

It is, thanks. Something I would have ordinarily overlooked but I like learning about that sort of thing.

A few years back, accidentally coming across a former Wright propeller factory that at the time I lived fairly close to started me on researching a whole series of early aviation pioneer stories.

evan price
Trigger Junkie

Postby evan price » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:46 am

Err, i just looked back and noticed i said "rotary engine" all through that when i should have said "radial engine"...sorry, brain fart.

Denis

Postby Denis » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:34 am

First Shirt wrote:That's what you get for letting lawyers have Internet access :lol:

:-)

HTRN
Probably Unemployed

Postby HTRN » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:47 pm

No, thats what you get for letting them out of their cages. :ugeek: :lol:

Anybody know of a way of cashing in change that doesnt take a cut, require you to have an account, or has to be rolled? My change jar is pretty full, so im thinking of cashing it in....

Jericho941

Postby Jericho941 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:38 pm

What is it with cops and Punisher skull logos these days? At best it's unprofessional and tacky, at worst it reflects an attitude that Macho Man is Here to Kill You rather than, y'know, do police work.

Steamforger
On a list somewhere

Postby Steamforger » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:30 am

Jericho941 wrote:What is it with cops and Punisher skull logos these days? At best it's unprofessional and tacky, at worst it reflects an attitude that Macho Man is Here to Kill You rather than, y'know, do police work.

I don't know really. An off the cuff swag would be the gun guys are wearing them. I've worn a Punisher Skull t-shirt under my body armor, but just because it was a clean black t-shirt that was handy (Our uniforms were LAPD Blue.) My favorite to wear was an old New Orleans Sewer & Water Board water meter cover t-shirt because it was pretty thin and wicked sweat away well. I also often wore a Cheshire Cat, Pearl Jam "Alive", and a Metallica t-shirt. I knew one guy that had a Superman S on the front of his armor. I know another that wears a Captain America shirt under his.

The only thing I consistently wore was a WWI Flying Ace Snoopy shaking his fist patch on my back left shoulder of the vest. Snoopy was always looking over my shoulder. We couldn't have anything not uniform showing though, so any personalization was always on the armor or under the armor. Showing up to your shift with something obviously not an official part of the uniform would have had you going home to change.

Jericho941

Postby Jericho941 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:42 am

Steamforger wrote:
Jericho941 wrote:What is it with cops and Punisher skull logos these days? At best it's unprofessional and tacky, at worst it reflects an attitude that Macho Man is Here to Kill You rather than, y'know, do police work.

I don't know really. An off the cuff swag would be the gun guys are wearing them. I've worn a Punisher Skull t-shirt under my body armor, but just because it was a clean black t-shirt that was handy (Our uniforms were LAPD Blue.) My favorite to wear was an old New Orleans Sewer & Water Board water meter cover t-shirt because it was pretty thin and wicked sweat away well. I also often wore a Cheshire Cat, Pearl Jam "Alive", and a Metallica t-shirt. I knew one guy that had a Superman S on the front of his armor. I know another that wears a Captain America shirt under his.

The only thing I consistently wore was a WWI Flying Ace Snoopy shaking his fist patch on my back left shoulder of the vest. Snoopy was always looking over my shoulder. We couldn't have anything not uniform showing though, so any personalization was always on the armor or under the armor. Showing up to your shift with something obviously not an official part of the uniform would have had you going home to change.

All fair, but I mean, some cops are apparently sticking it on their uniforms these days, sometimes mixed with a Thin Blue Line.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Steamforger
On a list somewhere

Postby Steamforger » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:57 am

I'd guess there's a degree of latitude these days that didn't exist back in the early 2000's. There's probably an argument that could be made that this has gone hand in hand with the militarization of police departments since it became cool to get all the high speed-low drag gear without actually having to deploy. The ironic part is the MRAP costs less than a morale patch. At least, initially....

Jericho941

Postby Jericho941 » Thu May 04, 2017 10:49 pm

Some dude was knocking on my door at 3am this morning. Weird pattern, noticed him try the knob when I was trying to decide if it was just my imagination that someone was knocking. I asked who it was through the door, they said they were "looking for Brian." Told 'em nobody like that lived here.

Now, I'm a couple blocks away from CWU, so I'd like to think it was just a stoned college student. Pretty sure I was getting checked out by a potential burglar though.

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Fri May 05, 2017 7:11 pm

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Tue May 09, 2017 8:10 am

Excerpt from conversation with co-worker currently undergoing radiation treatments:

"They say no man is an island unto himself. Except you... You're a Three Mile Island unto yourself."

"Man, that's fucked up."

Steamforger
On a list somewhere

Postby Steamforger » Thu May 11, 2017 7:50 pm

That moment when you're trying to synch the audio to the video of a movie and the bulk of speaking during the segment you've chosen to work with is either by Yoda or C3PO.

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Wed May 17, 2017 5:25 pm

Vonz90
Active Shooter

Postby Vonz90 » Mon May 22, 2017 12:22 am

How many 13 year old girls get excited about having a ham and cheese omlet with capers?

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Mon May 22, 2017 12:51 am

Jericho941

Postby Jericho941 » Fri May 26, 2017 8:07 am

THERE ARE NO FINGERPRINTS DEEP UNDERWATER
NOTHING TO TIE ONE TO A CRIME
AND IF YOU SEEK VENGEANCE
ALL YOU NEED ARE INSTRUMENTS OF PAIN

(yeah I'm back on a Dethklok kick)

HTRN
Probably Unemployed

Postby HTRN » Fri May 26, 2017 4:37 pm

First they shift the hours i work, then then the days.. im starting to really get pissed off.

evan price
Trigger Junkie

Postby evan price » Fri May 26, 2017 5:40 pm

Never get bored and look for cheap locks on eBay. Found a professional locksmith clearing out their storage. Somehow i wound up buying about $100 worth of good used mortise and rim cylinder locks with keys, of all different brands and keyways. Seriously there's like 30 of them. When there are only $2-$3 each and you want to make the most of shipping...

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Sat May 27, 2017 7:46 pm

Rustyv
Case Shiner

Postby Rustyv » Sun May 28, 2017 2:34 am

I've long believed that GM hates mechanics. The 97 Buick I drove in college that required hoisting the engine and removing an engine mount to change out the accessory belt was my first clue. The same car using a coolant that eats accessory belts, and a a water pump that generally failed by blowing the drive seal and throwing coolant all over the engine bay was clue #2.

My new-to-me Silverado with 125kilomiles shut down on me on the way home last week with a low oil pressure code. 5 minutes of research indicates this is a common problem, caused by a $5 filter located between the oil pressure sensor and the rest of the block getting clogged up and restricting oil flow to the sensor.

Clue #3... the GM recommended process to replace the filter involves disassembling the air intake. 45 minutes of swearing and an odd assortment socket wrench extensions and universal joints and a breaker bar and it was replaced. Truck runs better than it has in 40k miles.
Welcome to the internet: Where men are men, women are men, and children are FBI agents.

Dance like it hurts, Love like you need the money, Work like people are watching - Scott Adams

Jered

Postby Jered » Sun May 28, 2017 2:55 am

For the first time in my life, my Congressional representative is a Republican.

As a bonus, he beats up reporters that deserve it. :lol:
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.

First Shirt
Active Shooter

Postby First Shirt » Sun May 28, 2017 2:57 am

All modern vehicles are designed by engineers, not mechanics. Had an old-school engineer (he'd started out as a machinist, graduated to tool-and-die, then to engineering) tell me "Never trust an engineer who won't get his hands dirty. If he's not willing to get dirty, everything he knows, he learned from a book, not from real life."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom

Vonz90
Active Shooter

Postby Vonz90 » Sun May 28, 2017 4:42 am

As far as making vehicles hard to work on - 90%+ of the time they know that they are doing it; it isnt engineering it is economics. If it saves money up front - they do it. The extra maintenance cost isn't paid by the car maker (usually) and since most new car buyers don't work on their own cars it makes no difference to sales.

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Sun May 28, 2017 2:34 pm

HTRN wrote:First they shift the hours i work, then then the days.. im starting to really get pissed off.

I thought you'd worked through all your juniority already.

blackeagle603
Probably Unemployed

Postby blackeagle603 » Sun May 28, 2017 3:55 pm

it isnt engineering it is economics.

^^this^^

13 years in the field as a mech or tech and I was as vociferious as anyone about college boy engineers. Then I went to work in a design/manufacturing business and got deep into the engineering meetings. Humbling it twas.

Now it's the Finance and Accounting folks that get most of my ire.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Mon May 29, 2017 7:26 am

A snippet from Larry's latest blog post:

I’ve got some Facebook friends where it is really laughable, like they’re living in this little crazy bubble where Trump is going to resign tomorrow and they’re going to impeach everybody because of their overwhelming evidence of something something mumble mumble. I’m actually cool with that but only if ideally you could find a way to impeach to about six levels down so we get President Mattis. That would be awesome, thanks.

The entire thing is pure gold:

http://monsterhunternation.com/2017/05/ ... t-roundup/

Darrell

Postby Darrell » Mon May 29, 2017 1:44 pm

Netpackrat wrote:A snippet from Larry's latest blog post:

I’ve got some Facebook friends where it is really laughable, like they’re living in this little crazy bubble where Trump is going to resign tomorrow and they’re going to impeach everybody because of their overwhelming evidence of something something mumble mumble. I’m actually cool with that but only if ideally you could find a way to impeach to about six levels down so we get President Mattis. That would be awesome, thanks.

The entire thing is pure gold:

http://monsterhunternation.com/2017/05/ ... t-roundup/

Excellent. 8-)
Eppur si muove--Galileo

Jericho941

Postby Jericho941 » Mon May 29, 2017 2:34 pm

Comey Firing – Nobody liked him. Get over it. The week before dickweed democrats were ranting about how he needed to go. So either he was a Hillary sabotaging Trump stooge, or he was a Hillary covering Hillary stooge, make up your friggin’ minds already.

Frankly, I don't blame people for waffling here, because this is still an outcome that has me scratching my head. And there don't seem to be a lot of options one way or the other without dipping one's toe into conspiracy theory.

ME: What? A guy running for congress body slammed a pushy reporter? That is unacceptable. No matter how annoying they are, it is never right to resort to violence over something so trivial.
ME TWO MINUTES LATER: Oh, it was a GUARDIAN reporter? Heh. Heh heh heh. Ha ha ha ha. HAA HAAA. BWWAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAA snort. (wipes eyes)
ME TEN MINUTES LATER: Still… Probably not cool.

:lol:

HTRN
Probably Unemployed

Postby HTRN » Mon May 29, 2017 10:30 pm

Greg wrote:
HTRN wrote:First they shift the hours i work, then then the days.. im starting to really get pissed off.

I thought you'd worked through all your juniority already.

I thought so too, but apparently, im still subject to being jerked around. :roll:

Captain Wheelgun
Loose Cannon

Postby Captain Wheelgun » Tue May 30, 2017 8:52 pm

Am I a bad person for spending two hours in an Apple store reading gun-related and conservative web sites while waiting for them to replace my iPhone? :twisted:
"The best diplomat I know is a fully charged phaser bank" - Cmdr. Montgomery Scott
Captain Wheelgun's World

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Wed May 31, 2017 5:43 am

In WA for the sole purpose of renewing my non-resident CCW permit... Which expires tomorrow and MUST be renewed in person for reasons that I don't really understand, given that they don't require fingerprints for a renewal. Woman at the Marysville police department was snippy as hell when she said they only do Marysville residents, despite state law saying that a non-resident can go to any police station in the state, and also the fact that they accepted my application (including fingerprinting me) for my original issuance. Had to drive to Everett to get it done at the Snohomish County Sheriff's office, where everybody was nice and helpful despite working every day in a complex of ugly concrete buildings. Back on the plane to Anchorage tomorrow.

Cobar
Trigger Junkie

Postby Cobar » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:07 am

I sometimes think that government jobs exist so that the incompetent aren't defecating in the streets raving about how they deserve something or other.

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:27 am

Rereading a little Norman Friedman....

After the London Naval Conference in 1930, the US considered some ways to make the most of what we were allowed under the treaty.

One was aviation cruisers. Hybrid cruiser/carriers. There was one design in 1931 that was seriously considered that had guns forward, a large island offset to the right amidships (need someplace for fc directors, funnels, etc) and aft the usual hangar with a flight deck on top.

The flight deck was angled. Yep, 2 deg to port to help clear the island and guns forward, etc.

Angled deck aside, it was neither a good carrier nor cruiser, and interest in hybrid designs mostly went away.

Then there was the Big Distraction.

Wasn't until 1952, when the RN was brainstorming ways to get fast jets and carriers to play nice, that somebody found a proper use for the angled deck. (USN was 100% preoccupied at the time and had been for years, with fighting the REAL enemy, the USAF. Seriously, the postwar USAF was more of a threat to the Navy than the IJN ever was.)

We tried it. First attempt was paint only, the arrestors were even still axial. Worked great.

Makes for a big what-if.

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:32 am

Cobar wrote:I sometimes think that government jobs exist so that the incompetent aren't defecating in the streets raving about how they deserve something or other.

Somebody spent some time at Motor Vehicle! :)

Cobar
Trigger Junkie

Postby Cobar » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:09 am

Greg wrote:
Cobar wrote:I sometimes think that government jobs exist so that the incompetent aren't defecating in the streets raving about how they deserve something or other.

Somebody spent some time at Motor Vehicle! :)

HA! Not recently, that was a musing about NPR's experience. Last License renewal I did online. It beat waiting in line for hours.

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:27 am

Back home now. WA permit expired a couple hours ago, but I should have the new one in a couple weeks, in plenty of time for whenever I end up down there again. Got to see my sister and some other family I don't get to see too often, so it wasn't a completely stupid trip even if the reason was stupid.

Just watched Ian and Karl's latest video, and I would recommend everybody else do so as well...

Dangerous Things Are Dangerous

Cobar
Trigger Junkie

Postby Cobar » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:35 pm

Netpackrat wrote:Just watched Ian and Karl's latest video, and I would recommend everybody else do so as well...

Yup, that is a good one. I need to take their advice.

HTRN
Probably Unemployed

Postby HTRN » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:21 am

Just found Robot on Netflix, always wanted to see it think The Terminator as done by Bollywood. :shock:

Jered

Postby Jered » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:15 am

Netpackrat wrote:Back home now. WA permit expired a couple hours ago, but I should have the new one in a couple weeks, in plenty of time for whenever I end up down there again. Got to see my sister and some other family I don't get to see too often, so it wasn't a completely stupid trip even if the reason was stupid.

Do you get a direct flight and check a pistol?

I don't think you can borrow one without going to a gun store because of that crappy gun control initiative that they passed because 60% of Washington State voters are flat out stupid and can't be bothered to actually read the law that they voted for.

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:30 am

Jered wrote:Do you get a direct flight and check a pistol?

I don't think you can borrow one without going to a gun store because of that crappy gun control initiative that they passed because 60% of Washington State voters are flat out stupid and can't be bothered to actually read the law that they voted for.

Yes, checked in my baggage as per usual.

Jered

Postby Jered » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:47 am

I bought my first pistol in Montana about a week ago. It's really weird when there's only one form to complete to buy a pistol.

Rumpshot
Active Shooter

Postby Rumpshot » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:33 am

Jered wrote:I bought my first pistol in Montana about a week ago. It's really weird when there's only one form to complete to buy a pistol.

Free states may not be truly free, but put the others to shame anyway.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona

Jered

Postby Jered » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:05 pm

Rumpshot wrote:
Jered wrote:I bought my first pistol in Montana about a week ago. It's really weird when there's only one form to complete to buy a pistol.

Free states may not be truly free, but put the others to shame anyway.

It was odd only doing a 4473. In Washington, there's a DOL form, too.

They're like 2 years backlogged on those.

First Shirt
Active Shooter

Postby First Shirt » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:30 pm

Alabama still has to do the 4473 for firearm purchases, but if you have a CCW permit, they don't have to call it in. Pay for it, fill out the form, and leave.
Lindy Cooper Wisdom

Jered

Postby Jered » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:26 am

First Shirt wrote:Alabama still has to do the 4473 for firearm purchases, but if you have a CCW permit, they don't have to call it in. Pay for it, fill out the form, and leave.

Haven't been in Montana long enough to get my CWP yet. Once I get that, they won't even have to phone it in.

Rustyv
Case Shiner

Postby Rustyv » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:37 am

Watching Secret Life of Pets (daughter's favorite movie that I can stand watching more than once a month) with the dogs in the house is unintentionally hilarious.

The big mutt stares at the tv and barks through the entire movie. The chihuahua walks over to him, growles, and nips at his neck to get him to shut up.
Welcome to the internet: Where men are men, women are men, and children are FBI agents.

Dance like it hurts, Love like you need the money, Work like people are watching - Scott Adams

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:59 am

Gunnuts
Case Shiner

Postby Gunnuts » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:05 am

Netpackrat wrote:Kind of want....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZVGwty3Yas

Kind of? :lol:

Ok, I checked the price tag. Holy shit!

First Shirt
Active Shooter

Postby First Shirt » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:18 pm

They also make a version in .460 S&W, that will also (I think) handle .454 Casull, and .45 LC. Price tag is similar, if not slightly higher.

Give the demands that The Minions make on my toy fund, I think I'll just stick to my M-92 clone in .45 LC.
Lindy Cooper Wisdom

Darrell

Postby Darrell » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:15 pm

That gun flat out vaporized those watermelons. Holy cow.
Eppur si muove--Galileo

HTRN
Probably Unemployed

Postby HTRN » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:13 pm

Its actually cheaper to get a rebarrell on of the Browning 71s to 50 Alaskan.. :shock: :ugeek:

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:06 am

Cobar wrote:
Netpackrat wrote:Just watched Ian and Karl's latest video, and I would recommend everybody else do so as well...

Yup, that is a good one. I need to take their advice.

They didn't mention it in the video, but it seems to also be an additional argument in favor of wearing some sort of body armor at the range. Even the lowest rated armor would have made it a non-injury event.

Jericho941

Postby Jericho941 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:39 am

Something a lot of Americans don’t realize when talking about Russia is that they’ve never had a conception of private property. In Tsarist times, all the property in the Empire belonged, personally to the Tsar, who would distribute it as he or she saw fit. The nobility’s money was measured not in land, but in souls. The Russian peasantry, going back to Prechristian times, ran communal farms known as mir that became the standard farming unit in Tsarist times. Private property didn’t exist in full in Russia until 2001. So when people talk about Russia in the 1990′s as “adapting to Capitalism for the first time”, they’re not talking about “for the first time since 1917.” They mean, quite literally, that Russia transitioned from feudal slavery to Communism, with a minor break to a hybrid Feudalistic-Capitalistic system that existed for roughly 40 years.

Vonz90
Active Shooter

Postby Vonz90 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:57 am

Jericho941 wrote:
Something a lot of Americans don’t realize when talking about Russia is that they’ve never had a conception of private property. In Tsarist times, all the property in the Empire belonged, personally to the Tsar, who would distribute it as he or she saw fit. The nobility’s money was measured not in land, but in souls. The Russian peasantry, going back to Prechristian times, ran communal farms known as mir that became the standard farming unit in Tsarist times. Private property didn’t exist in full in Russia until 2001. So when people talk about Russia in the 1990′s as “adapting to Capitalism for the first time”, they’re not talking about “for the first time since 1917.” They mean, quite literally, that Russia transitioned from feudal slavery to Communism, with a minor break to a hybrid Feudalistic-Capitalistic system that existed for roughly 40 years.

This is factually incorrect. The idea of owning serfs was true but not since 1861 when Alexander II freed them. The part of the Tsar owning all of the land is also incorrec and was forver going back to the powerful boyers who were at one time very powerful and obviously controlled their own properties. My own family had estates in several provinces, my great grandfather's estate having been purchased by him shortly before the war (he was a younger son so would not have inherited his father's). Likewise there were corporate interests that owned factories and other businesses. This goes back to at least Peter the Great.

The whole deal with the kulaks was that they were peasants who owned their own land.

The state was ususally corrupt, overly powerful and overly centralized and owned a buch of stuff they had no business in, but saying that there there was no private property in Tsarist Russia is just wrong.

Jered

Postby Jered » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:34 am

I just won a Barrett M82A1 in .50 BMG on gunbroker.

*laughs in Freedom*

First Shirt
Active Shooter

Postby First Shirt » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:27 pm

Apparently the "3 boxes per customer" rule for .22 LR at Walmart has gone away. I bought 4 boxes of Federal Auto-Match for $16.99 per 325-round box. Just over a nickle per round, and no limit.
Lindy Cooper Wisdom

Odahi
Loose Cannon

Postby Odahi » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:17 am

Today has been interesting. I took the day off work, and had my knees x-rayed. I've had some pain in the right one from time to time, sort of like there was a little heat and light at Nagasaki. Then it started happening in the right knee too. My guess is the x-rays will look like the inside of a bag of gravel and broken glass. On the plus side, the radiology tech was a very attractive woman, tall and slender, with long auburn hair. "The name of the place is, I Like It Like That."
Birds gotta swim, fish gotta fly, assholes gotta ass.

"Common sense" is an oxymoron.

BDK
Trigger Junkie

Postby BDK » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:00 am

Vonz: Did the Kulaks actually have a freehold, or just a tenancy?

Were there corporations, etc owned by people other than the aristocracy?

I realize there had to be some form of property rights, as the courts of Peter I, and Catherine attracted people from all over Europe.

Vonz90
Active Shooter

Postby Vonz90 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:50 am

BDK wrote:Vonz: Did the Kulaks actually have a freehold, or just a tenancy?

Were there corporations, etc owned by people other than the aristocracy?

I realize there had to be some form of property rights, as the courts of Peter I, and Catherine attracted people from all over Europe.

Yes, and yes. Even American and European companies owned factories etc. in Czarist Russia.

http://www.singersewinginfo.co.uk/podolsk/

Jericho941

Postby Jericho941 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:56 am

Vonz90 wrote:
Jericho941 wrote:

This is factually incorrect. The idea of owning serfs was true but not since 1861 when Alexander II freed them. The part of the Tsar owning all of the land is also incorrec and was forver going back to the powerful boyers who were at one time very powerful and obviously controlled their own properties. My own family had estates in several provinces, my great grandfather's estate having been purchased by him shortly before the war (he was a younger son so would not have inherited his father's). Likewise there were corporate interests that owned factories and other businesses. This goes back to at least Peter the Great.

The whole deal with the kulaks was that they were peasants who owned their own land.

The state was ususally corrupt, overly powerful and overly centralized and owned a buch of stuff they had no business in, but saying that there there was no private property in Tsarist Russia is just wrong.

My understanding is that Kulaks are what the guy was talking about with the "hybrid Feudalistic-Capitalistic system that existed for roughly 40 years" and that boyars owned the facilities, but not the land they were on. They didn't have the power of European aristocracy.

Return to “Random”