Does not follow...

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
HTRN

Re: Does not follow...

Post by HTRN »

Netpackrat wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:54 pm Jeep = Just Empty Every Pocket.
I come from a long line of boat owners, and have dabbled in dragracing since i was a Teenager. :mrgreen: Jeeps are downright cheap compared to what campaigning a bracket car costs - a Nelson race gas 572 is 25k...

Have you thought about simply swapping to a cheap v8, like a sbc or even an LS motor? It would probably be cheaper than all the work you have planned..
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

HTRN wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:12 pm Have you thought about simply swapping to a cheap v8, like a sbc or even an LS motor? It would probably be cheaper than all the work you have planned..
Thought about it, but going this way I don't have to modify the exhaust, engine mounting, drivetrain, wiring, etc. That stuff always takes longer and ends up costing a lot more than you expect. Also, my existing rear axle should be strong enough to handle the engine I am planning (stock cam, valve train, intake, exhaust etc), whereas with V-8 power that might be a bit of a stretch. So, 2-3 grand on top of the engine work to replace an axle that I dumped $2k into rebuilding and upgrading 35k miles ago, just in order to handle V-8 power. And I am pretty happy with the way the chassis is currently set up, it is nicely balanced.

Essentially, I have to do something about the engine no matter what, and this will allow me to add a little extra power at the same time, with as little additional complication as possible. Mainly I just want to be able to drive my Jeep again.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

EDELBROCK offers an aftermarket head for it too, but its something like 1800 bucks complete..
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

The Edelbrock head requires converting to an earlier year exhaust, and I have also read that it offers minimal power gain until you spend even more money on getting it ported. For the build I am planning, I am better off with the '02 TUPY head.

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Aaaaaand it looks like the machine shop I was going to use went out of business since the last time I was there. Got a disconnected message at both numbers I found for them, and when I did a drive by they were gone; there is a brake and suspension shop there now. :x

So now I have to figure out where else to go. There is another shop close by that did good work for me once, but they were really expensive too. Don't know anything about the other shops; there doesn't seem to be a great deal of choice around here these days.

Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

My Jeep (2002 V6 Liberty) may have started its final descent today. After getting off the tollway coming home I heard unhappy sounds under the hood. Pulled into a parking lot and hear definite knocking. Dipstick says no oil (changed about 3 months ago at a grease monkey place, last checked maybe month ago). Got oil at the store and it took almost 3 quarts to get to the low line on the dipstick so I could baby it home. No drips or leaks, still knocking at idle and faster.

Turns out the oil idiot light is dead; the sensor might have tripped but I never saw it. Taking it on for diagnosing tomorrow morning. I think its rod knock but I'm not sure.

We knew a replacement was in our not too distant future but having to get a replacement on short notice sucks. Meh.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

I hate this city, I just spent 3 hours driving in to work..

MarkD

Post by MarkD »

HTRN wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:12 pm I hate this city, I just spent 3 hours driving in to work..
It's Trump's fault because of the UN General Assembly.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Called 2 machine shops and was quoted prices that were comparable, so I went with the known quantity. Dropped off my block and head this morning, and the guy thought my exhaust seats might be too far gone for grinding. He said putting a seat insert into the Jeep head is sketchy due to proximity of the water jacket, so I may yet end up buying a new head (which won't be the Edelbrock head), depending on how it looks after hot tanking. Glad I didn't pay much for the core.

Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

It occurred to me if Trump ends up with a 3rd SCOTUS pick, he should nominate himself, and hand over the presidency to Pence if he's confirmed. That would truly be the gift that keeps on giving.