Does not follow...

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
Jered

Re: Does not follow...

Post by Jered »

Apparently, at least one of the dead people that voted in Michigan was because the person in charge of keeping the voter rolls accurate didn't keep the voter rolls accurate.

My confidence is not restored.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Not sure if my wife is ever going to forgive her dad for advising me to "buy the biggest lathe you can afford" if I was going to get one. I have been told that I had better $%^&#^@ use it a lot, given how much it cost. :lol:

Was a bit of an ordeal getting to this point. Delivery driver was a bit surprised that I had my own pallet jack (I literally grew up in a warehouse), but even so there was just enough ice to make getting it into the garage a struggle. Then I had to raise each end with a floor jack and put jack stands under the corners to get the pallet out from under it so I could get the engine crane in place, and hoist it enough to get the bases under it. Since the bases wanted to be where the legs of the crane were, this was a multi-stage process with plenty of jockeying around. I still need to do a little jockeying to get it into its final position and locate the concrete anchors, and then move it again while I install them due to the stupid design of the bases.

Had to relocate my drill press and hydraulic press since this is really the only location in the shop that makes sense for a lathe (I am pretty sure the previous owner had his there too); haven't figured out exactly where those other items will go yet. There is a sheet metal cover that goes in between the bases but I'm not going to use it since that would be a total waste of space; looks like if I take the wheels off one of my rolling tool chests it should just fit under the chip tray.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

HTRN wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:50 am You're gonna want this:
https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzl ... ard/T26623

Next, I'll teach you how not to flinch when burning hundred dollar bills, an essential training technique for those buying machine tools :mrgreen: :ugeek:
So, possible stupid question... What is the major advantage of using something like this over the 4 jaw chuck? I am guessing you would use either of them in conjunction with the built in spider at the back end of the spindle, and indicate both ends. Just seems like the 4 jaw would still give you the adjustability, with better holding.

Looks like the lathe actually came with 2 tool holders, which with the others I bought I think gives me a total of about 10 now, so I should be good for a while. Probably going to dump them all in the ultrasonic to try to get some of the cosmo off.

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Because the jaws on the four jaw have a tendency to ttwist the barrel - spiders locate more or less on points. If you do use a 4 jaw, go to home depot, bu a length of thick ground wire, form a single loop of it around the barrel and clamp on that and not directly on the barrel. The other major advantage of the spider is that its shorter than the 4 jaw chuck, making it easier to do this way with shorter barrels.
https://youtu.be/UI2f9d6R9EM

As for indicating on barrels, you might want to look at this:
https://youtu.be/aII2tbavKnM
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Thanks. I think I had seen the second video but not the first one.

HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Now all you need to do is build a chamber flush setup. :ugeek: :D
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Apparently the preliminary data from their phase 3 trial is showing that Pfizer's vaccine is 90% effective.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/live- ... &mkt=en-us

g-man

Post by g-man »

Yes, but for how long? RE-infection is possible approximately 90 days after recovery, when you catch the actual disease. This ain’t Polio, or the chicken pox. One shot does not lifelong immunity confer. I’m by no means an anti-vaxxer, in fact, quite the opposite. But this ain’t “immunity”, nor is it a cure. We’re not going to get out of this with some miracle shot all in one go.

Prudent precautions. Except that ain’t going to happen because the ham-fisted reactions of .gov simply don’t do subtlety.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

That remains to be seen. A vaccine may provide better immunity, worse, or no difference. It may vary by specific vaccine. We may all need to get periodic boosters going forward. I haven't got that sort of crystal ball. A while back, I did read that they found a better immune response from one of the vaccines, as far as antibodies went, compared to that observed with natural infection. I don't remember which vaccine it was.

g-man

Post by g-man »

Netpackrat wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:43 pm A while back, I did read that they found a better immune response from one of the vaccines, as far as antibodies went, compared to that observed with natural infection. I don't remember which vaccine it was.
That is indeed good news.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum