Does not follow...

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
HTRN

Re: Does not follow...

Post by HTRN »

MarkD wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:53 pm
HTRN wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:12 pm I hate this city, I just spent 3 hours driving in to work..
It's Trump's fault because of the UN General Assembly.
I realized that after seeing the sign on the bqe. Next week, I'm going in early, to avoid the traffic.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Netpackrat wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:04 pm It occurred to me if Trump ends up with a 3rd SCOTUS pick, he should nominate himself, and hand over the presidency to Pence if he's confirmed. That would truly be the gift that keeps on giving.
Just imagine the hearing circus on that one. :roll:
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

My Jeep is kaput. Shavings and bearing bits in the oil pan. And the electronic stethoscope says the knocking is in the bottom end.

Four estimates for replacing the engine are all > 2x the resale of the Jeep in running condition. I have nowhere to try to do the work myself so... emergency shopping for a replacement car, yay...
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Yeah... At least last year when we had to put the new transmission in Mrs. NPR's Commander, the cost of that was only about half the value of the vehicle, which would of course not have been worth a lot with a blown tranny.

One thing I am seeing a lot of evidence of as I get into the Jeep project and following one of the Jeep groups more closely, is that the company that built our Jeeps ceased to exist 10 years ago, and FCA Does. Not. Give. A. Shit. about the legacy Jeep vehicles, and they aren't even all that happy about supporting the JKs now that the JL is out. Whereas you could previously buy genuine Mopar parts and know you were getting an OEM quality item, a lot of it is now the same Chinese crap you can buy elsewhere, but repackaged and at twice the price.

Absolutely stay away from the '05-'06 Wranglers... They made some changes in the last couple years of the TJ/LJ/4.0 and there are problems for which there simply isn't a fix. The PCMs are borked, and there are no longer any factory replacement computers being made. Some people have had to convert their '05-'06 automatic Jeeps to older manual transmissions just to be able to drive them. And the drive for the camshaft position sensor (and also oil pump) was changed for those years; newer unit has a high failure rate. Can't revert to the older drive because the sensor is different, and the later PCM needs the newer sensor to function. There are aftermarket drives that are designed to alleviate the problem, but the impression I get is that there is no permanent fix.

Edit to add; Read since posting the above, that the bad oil pump drive assembly also takes out the camshaft. 8^P
Last edited by Netpackrat on Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Greg

Post by Greg »

Aw crap. My boss just started a blog. This is too weird.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Goddammit

I cracked a renishaw Ruby today.

Dammit.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
evan price

Post by evan price »

HTRN wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:05 pm Goddammit

Dammit.
Eh $30. Could be worse.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

Dammit.
I've turned one to dust plus smashed the rest of it......no fun
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

The local wreckers and Carmax are both offering < $300 for the Jeep as it stands. That includes the tow for the wreckers. There are none close enough that I'm sanguine about driving to (Maybe late evening when traffic is light); never know when the engine might seize up, though it might just run for weeks still. No way to tell. Drop off would get an additional $75 but I'd have to take it to them under normal traffic and need someone from work to give me a ride back.

They'll make out like bandits on the parts; other than the drivers seat being a bit tattered, everything else works great. The 2002's had the 45RFE transmissions, heavier duty than 2003 and later 42RLE, and also used in 3.7l Dakotas and Durangos (not sure about full size Rams); ditto the NV242 transfer case. No accidents, recalls done, regular lube changes, etc. Except for some pending work needed on front CV joints and unit bearings and needing exhaust system redone its in fine shape for 16 years old.

It hurts to let it go. If I had a place to keep it until we could do the work ourselves I'd keep it.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

evan price wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:32 am

Dammit.
Eh $30. Could be worse.
Try $110 plus overnight from renishawprobe.com

Luckily, i found one on ebay for 50 bucks that will get here tuesday. Then all i have to do is dial the damn thing in..