Does not follow...

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
Netpackrat

Re: Does not follow...

Post by Netpackrat »

In other related news, I ordered some more of the quick change tool holders from Ebay (I believe what I bought is at least one step up from CDCO quaiity wise) and other lathe related tooling has been slowly trickling in. Bought Grizzly's insert tool holder set I mentioned earlier, and some inserts that are supposed to be better suited for aluminum and other softer metals than the ones that come with it. Along with some parting blades; hss to begin with but I will eventually get an insert tool. An assortment of various round stock is beginning to accumulate.... I wanted to get a chunk of 660 bronze for making bushings, then I saw the price. Canceled a shopping cart full of stuff from Online Metals last night because it turns out they rape you on shipping to Alaska, even for stuff that would fit in a flat rate box.

Ordered a gallon of way oil from Amazon because they didn't have any shipping restrictions to AK on it. We'll see how it goes.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

HTRN wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:49 am
Netpackrat wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:39 amNow I won't be getting a mill probably for a while, which makes me sad.
Nudge, nudge, wink wink. :mrgreen:

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Would you prefer a series 1 bport?
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I would prefer something that costs less than I spent on the lathe by the time I get it here. But maybe if my cunning plans come to fruition, it may be possible. Cunning plan... Step 1, buy machine tools. Step 2, ??? Step 3, Profit!

Edit to add; gunsmith friend with the G4003 also has a Bridgeport with a DRO... It's pretty awesome. He mentioned the other day that he got the VFD on his lathe up and working.

Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I have, of course, been watching a lot of machining videos on the toobz of late, which has led to watching the occasional foundry/casting video. The Al_Gore Ithm just suggested one and I watched it, only to find that while the dude in question does melt down a lot of scrap metal, his thing is just casting ingots of various metals, and putting them in a stack and admiring them. Rather than turning them into something useful. Not sure how that is better than burying that metal in a landfill.

Edit: Fucking word replacement...

Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Lathe is supposed to be delivered Thursday morning. 8^)

Was organizing in the shop and stumbled across the leftovers of the t-slot extrusions that I used to make my reloading bench. I have 2 pieces about 3 feet long; wasn't sure what to do with them. At least part of one is going to become a rack for my tool holders, to be mounted near the lathe.

HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Netpackrat wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:23 am Edit to add; gunsmith friend with the G4003 also has a Bridgeport with a DRO... It's pretty awesome.
I avoid touching them whenever possible - using a conversational control VMC is so much better.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

I can almost see my reloading bench. Almost... The clutter is clearing. I know it's somewhere under all that dust. I had helper sanding drywall in the bathroom who didn't drape things, mask off the door and properly vent that adjacent room. sigh...

Final stage(?) of utility room/granny flat remodel under way. Finished reworking ~60 year old plumbing (old washer hookups) for locating a prep sink and setting last bottom cabinet for a kitchenette.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Jered

Post by Jered »

Dammit. Broke 2 RCBS depriming assemblies yesterday.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Jered

Post by Jered »

Dammit. Broke 2 RCBS depriming assemblies yesterday.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.