Does not follow...

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
Greg

Re: Does not follow...

Post by Greg »

I've been doing some historical reading lately. Things like Friedman's 'US Cruisers'.

I also have a history of having weird insights while sitting on the porcelain throne.

The latest one is, the Hawkins class couldn't actually outfight a typical late-period armored cruiser. Which suggests a *lot* of things.

It was a very clever 'poverty' battlecruiser. Like hamburger helper for their battlecruiser force.

It only makes sense as a specialized raider hunter if you assume the other guys will only be using light cruisers and cruiser conversions (armed merchants) as raiders. As in, real battlecruisers would already have wiped out all the enemy armored cruisers. It's hard to 'hunt' something you would lose to and have to run from.

But it also tells you, that GB, who had already mostly given up building battleships due to poverty by that point (1915 or so), had also given up on building effective numbers of real battlecruisers and needed filler to pad out numbers for presence/coverage reasons.

Of course the 'cleverness' came back to bite them in the ass after 1922 when they found themselves in a building race in the newly invented BY THEM(but not to be properly named until 1930) category of heavy cruisers (aka slightly enlarged light cruisers with 8-ish" guns) which they also couldn't afford.

Yep, this is how I poop.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

I think the Hawkings class was just an update of the Scharnhorst class concept.
evan price

Post by evan price »

HTRN wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:54 pm
evan price wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:32 am
HTRN wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:05 pm Goddammit

I cracked a renishaw Ruby today.

Dammit.
Eh $30. Could be worse.
Try $110 plus overnight from renishawprobe.com

Luckily, i found one on ebay for 50 bucks that will get here tuesday. Then all i have to do is dial the damn thing in..
All depends on which one. Ceramic shaft or stainless, which diameter, length, etc.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Ceramic shaft, 6mm ruby -3712.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
John_in_Longview

Post by John_in_Longview »

Last September a verdict was reached and a sentence was assigned. Tomorrow the sentence will be served; the date of the Taylor Swift concert to which I am taking my 15 year old daughter has arrived.
randy

Post by randy »

May God Have Mercy On Your Soul.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

So, got my new renishaw probe tip, now i get to spend tomorrow morning dialing it in. JOY. :|

Was originally planning on going to the Oakes show today, 1700 tables, but feel like somebody beat me - i think its going to rain again. :|
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Greg

Post by Greg »

Apparently a new gun store opened within walking distance of my house.

This living in America thing, I'm really starting to like it. I'll have to see if I like the fun store. :)
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

It's amazing to me that Blazing Saddles is on Netflix right now. It will be interesting to see whose heads explode.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Weetabix wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:59 pm It's amazing to me that Blazing Saddles is on Netflix right now.
Well, I know what I'm watching tonight. :D