Does not follow...

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
Netpackrat

Re: Does not follow...

Post by Netpackrat »

Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

That was excellent. I got gleeful when he started with hydrology, since that's one of my things, but the total analysis was so good, I moved to serious consideration. Thanks for linking that.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Greg

Post by Greg »

A former coworker just put his house on the market. He bought it in 2006 for 330k. He's asking 270k.

His commute was 60 miles. He considered himself lucky to have that house. It's not a particularly good house, 3 beds 1700 so ft. Still had 8 grand a year property taxes.

We worked in East Rutherford NJ and the house is up near Newburg. So in theory the drive is mostly highway miles, but traffic would be rough. Oof.

That'll show you how bad the NJ real estate market was/is. I'll repeat, he considered himself lucky to have that house.....

So glad we're out of there. Feel bad he's going to take a haircut on the house.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Greg wrote:That'll show you how bad the NJ real estate market was/is.
A buddy of mine is probably putting a bid 8n this week on a single floor 3bd/2ba ranch on a half acre lot down near Freehold asking 400k, with 8 grand a year in property taxes. :shock: and its supposedly a good deal..

Meanwhile, a split level ranch just popped up on zillow in lake Ariel 3 acres, 3bd/1.5ba, 2 car garage, asking 125k, supposedly taxes are under a grand, but previous years it was over 2, and it is lake Ariel..

Better yet, theres a 62 acre farmhouse listing for up by ssusquehanna, thats still a hund grand cheaper than what hes looking at..
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Greg

Post by Greg »

HTRN wrote:
Greg wrote:That'll show you how bad the NJ real estate market was/is.
A buddy of mine is probably putting a bid 8n this week on a single floor 3bd/2ba ranch on a half acre lot down near Freehold asking 400k, with 8 grand a year in property taxes. :shock: and its supposedly a good deal..
What's scary is, that does sound like a good deal. You have to ask what's wrong with it. When I was working at J&J down in Raritan I had some coworkers who would have been all over that. (And I left there in '06).
Meanwhile, a split level ranch just popped up on zillow in lake Ariel 3 acres, 3bd/1.5ba, 2 car garage, asking 125k, supposedly taxes are under a grand, but previous years it was over 2, and it is lake Ariel..

Better yet, theres a 62 acre farmhouse listing for up by ssusquehanna, thats still a hund grand cheaper than what hes looking at..
You're willing to drive far enough, NE PA is *the* place for people who work in Jersey (so long as their job isn't in NYC suburbs) to finally be able to afford to buy a house. A lot of my coworkers at J&J bought property in PA.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Greg wrote:What's scary is, that does sound like a good deal. You have to ask what's wrong with it. When I was working at J&J down in Raritan I had some coworkers who would have been all over that. (And I left there in '06).
He bought it for 375, the current owner is moving into a retirement community and just wants the house sold.
Greg wrote:You're willing to drive far enough, NE PA is *the* place for people who work in Jersey (so long as their job isn't in NYC suburbs) to finally be able to afford to buy a house. A lot of my coworkers at J&J bought property in PA.
Pike county is where most of the NJ commuters live, as they can even catch a bus into midtown if they're willing to suffer that long a commute. That kind of money buys alot of house there. :ugeek:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Greg

Post by Greg »

HTRN wrote: Pike county is where most of the NJ commuters live, as they can even catch a bus into midtown if they're willing to suffer that long a commute. That kind of money buys alot of house there. :ugeek:
Or Bucks county... 78. We considered it, even though we both hate long commutes. But I was only a contractor at J&J, and being tied to a house WAAAAY out there wasn't something we wanted to make a long term commitment to unless the job situation was set.

I had 2 coworkers there that I know of who actually bought townhouses *in* Easton. Shorter commute, and they were really, really absolutely cheap.

HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Bucks county isnt particularly cheap, as its in Phillys shadow, and moreover, many of the govt workers in trenton live there due to the defunct tax agreement between Pa and NJ. Still its significantly cheaper than the other side of the river.

Easton has had something of a resurgence lately, i think due to all the new warehouse jobs in the area.

Then theres stroudsburg, which has always been pricy due to it being the first town on the other side of the river on 80, but its gotten alot worse lately for home buyers, as it seems the place has become poplular with hipster douchebags.i will add the the quality of the local restaurants has gone up dramatically in the last couple of years.

Jered

Post by Jered »

I just emailed Lage to get on their Max 11/15 upper list.

:D

Turn my subgun into a rifle.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.