Does not follow...

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
Greg

Re: Does not follow...

Post by Greg »

evan price wrote:
Greg wrote:
Seems Gnome was a pioneer in 2 row radials - the earliest efforts failed but later after the merger Gnome-Rhone was among the first (or the first?) to build successful ones.

The Gnome-Rhone radials got their start from licensed Bristol (Roy Fedden again) designs, though in their own right in the early 30s or so they were among the industry leaders. By the time of WW2 they had fallen behind a bit, which is how I overlooked them..
Gnome the company and Rhone the company competed as makers of rotary engines before they merged in about 1915 iirc. They built their own Delta and Le Rhone rotaries which were one of the most popular rotary engines used in ww1...even the Germans cloned them... but their designs started to fall short after ww1. That's when they licensed Bristol tech.
Gnome realized their Bristol licenses wouldn't keep them afloat so they developed the K-series, N-series and R-series. They were great motors but they didn't have the research capability of the British and Germans and then the Nazi occupation doomed them.
It's a great story of early aviation pioneering.
It is, thanks. Something I would have ordinarily overlooked but I like learning about that sort of thing.

A few years back, accidentally coming across a former Wright propeller factory that at the time I lived fairly close to started me on researching a whole series of early aviation pioneer stories.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
evan price

Post by evan price »

Err, i just looked back and noticed i said "rotary engine" all through that when i should have said "radial engine"...sorry, brain fart.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
Denis

Post by Denis »

First Shirt wrote:That's what you get for letting lawyers have Internet access :lol:
:-)
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

No, thats what you get for letting them out of their cages. :ugeek: :lol:

Anybody know of a way of cashing in change that doesnt take a cut, require you to have an account, or has to be rolled? My change jar is pretty full, so im thinking of cashing it in....
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

What is it with cops and Punisher skull logos these days? At best it's unprofessional and tacky, at worst it reflects an attitude that Macho Man is Here to Kill You rather than, y'know, do police work.
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

Jericho941 wrote:What is it with cops and Punisher skull logos these days? At best it's unprofessional and tacky, at worst it reflects an attitude that Macho Man is Here to Kill You rather than, y'know, do police work.
I don't know really. An off the cuff swag would be the gun guys are wearing them. I've worn a Punisher Skull t-shirt under my body armor, but just because it was a clean black t-shirt that was handy (Our uniforms were LAPD Blue.) My favorite to wear was an old New Orleans Sewer & Water Board water meter cover t-shirt because it was pretty thin and wicked sweat away well. I also often wore a Cheshire Cat, Pearl Jam "Alive", and a Metallica t-shirt. I knew one guy that had a Superman S on the front of his armor. I know another that wears a Captain America shirt under his.

The only thing I consistently wore was a WWI Flying Ace Snoopy shaking his fist patch on my back left shoulder of the vest. Snoopy was always looking over my shoulder. We couldn't have anything not uniform showing though, so any personalization was always on the armor or under the armor. Showing up to your shift with something obviously not an official part of the uniform would have had you going home to change.
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

Steamforger wrote:
Jericho941 wrote:What is it with cops and Punisher skull logos these days? At best it's unprofessional and tacky, at worst it reflects an attitude that Macho Man is Here to Kill You rather than, y'know, do police work.
I don't know really. An off the cuff swag would be the gun guys are wearing them. I've worn a Punisher Skull t-shirt under my body armor, but just because it was a clean black t-shirt that was handy (Our uniforms were LAPD Blue.) My favorite to wear was an old New Orleans Sewer & Water Board water meter cover t-shirt because it was pretty thin and wicked sweat away well. I also often wore a Cheshire Cat, Pearl Jam "Alive", and a Metallica t-shirt. I knew one guy that had a Superman S on the front of his armor. I know another that wears a Captain America shirt under his.

The only thing I consistently wore was a WWI Flying Ace Snoopy shaking his fist patch on my back left shoulder of the vest. Snoopy was always looking over my shoulder. We couldn't have anything not uniform showing though, so any personalization was always on the armor or under the armor. Showing up to your shift with something obviously not an official part of the uniform would have had you going home to change.
All fair, but I mean, some cops are apparently sticking it on their uniforms these days, sometimes mixed with a Thin Blue Line.
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

I'd guess there's a degree of latitude these days that didn't exist back in the early 2000's. There's probably an argument that could be made that this has gone hand in hand with the militarization of police departments since it became cool to get all the high speed-low drag gear without actually having to deploy. The ironic part is the MRAP costs less than a morale patch. At least, initially....
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

Some dude was knocking on my door at 3am this morning. Weird pattern, noticed him try the knob when I was trying to decide if it was just my imagination that someone was knocking. I asked who it was through the door, they said they were "looking for Brian." Told 'em nobody like that lived here.

Now, I'm a couple blocks away from CWU, so I'd like to think it was just a stoned college student. Pretty sure I was getting checked out by a potential burglar though.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop