Gyms, and fern bars...

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
Aglifter

Gyms, and fern bars...

Post by Aglifter »

Everytime someone has a decent gym** actually survive, (usually, just about as I get stuck working out in a public gym.) the old codger dies, and then the fake plants, and yuppies, and spandex starts invading... *Next thing you know, no chalk, cussing, metal or bleeding is allowed...

*Hasn't happened yet in my current gym, but the spandex starts demanding that soon enough...

**Decent Gym: Either compete in an ironsport, or blood sport, have retired from one of those sports, or, in rare cases, bust your ass, listen to those who know what they are doing, and be accepted, despite some genetic limitations...
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
rightisright

Re: Gyms, and fern bars...

Post by rightisright »

A few symbols answer your question: $$$$
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Aglifter, because what you want isn't the most profitable. Gym owners like people who sign up and then lose interest - something like only 1 in 4 people who sign up turn out to be regular gym goers. The nice gyms bring in the regular people, who are far more likely to show up a few times and then lose interest, than dedicated weightlifters. Why do you think they want you to sign yearly contracts instead of paying month to month?

HTRN
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

I understand the business model -- what ticks me off is that, inevitably, whomever inherits the old crusty place immediately changes it, and the general populace floods in to the "hardcore" gym -- which is, traditionally, a small metal shack w. no climate control... I have trained in some true holes, one of which had an open floor to ceiling vent, w. a fan blowing fresh air in, in Central PA, in January -- I was literally lifting in blowing snow*... And there's some idiot in a Hilfiger Athletics shirt, and padded gloves on, asking where the machines are.... WHY IS THAT MAN THERE??? It's not any cheaper, the comp. focused gyms usually have higher rates to compensate for lower numbers and more equipment wear...

*And in a metal shed w. no AC in SC in the summer time, and outside on blacktop, surrounded by brick walls on 100F days on the SC coast... and still, some yuppie jackass/useless piece of spandex is there... There wasn't even anything those people could move on that blacktop, and yet, they're there...

I just don't understand why people who belong in Bally don't stay there...

Oh, and I've never seen a gym that was competition focused charge other than month to month* -- one place did, right before the group of doctor's that bought it threw all competitive lifters out, and then refused any refunds...

(Comp. lifters are not, traditionally, a very "flush" group...)
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto