Does not follow...

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
Netpackrat

Re: Does not follow...

Post by Netpackrat »

Something like this, maybe on a back plate.

https://www.grizzly.com/products/Bison- ... 1-5/T10414
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Ah, a keyed one.

Let me tell you it's better than no collet chuck at all, but blow in comparison to a lever operated collet closer. They also wear the threads on the collet, because of the way they work, vs the collet closer. I still want a collet closer for my Clausing, but the cost of it puts me off it - used they're 300-400 for royals, and they show up rarely.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Grizzly makes one of those for the G4003 but it doesn't fit the G4003G.

https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzl ... 4003/G4026

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Yeah, I saw those. I thought the keyed type might be better since my lathe doesn't have a foot brake.

HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Mine doesn't either . In fact, a foot brake with that might be a bad idea, if it brakes hard enough, it might cause enough centrifugal force to open the Chuck via spinning the handwheel. It's a copy of the Hardinge speed chuck - the only functional difference between the two is that is a D1-5, while my Hardinge is a L00. :ugeek:

Both the keyed chuck and the speed chuck work by screwing down tighter on the threads, drawing the collet into the taper. The lever action collet closer works by screwing into a draw tube. And then opening closing by applying tension to the drawtube- the relative thread engagement remains the same.

Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Seems like in about every other email from my gunsmith friend, he expounds upon the evils of the 3 jaw chuck... I get the idea that he doesn't like them very much. :lol:

Vonz90

Does not follow...

Post by Vonz90 »

image001.png
From ESPN, fun football fact of the day and shows why Coach Ken is 86 and 5 if he has the lead going into the 4th quarter.

Still, this is the one that takes the cake. https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424 ... 1842137792
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Netpackrat wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:24 am Seems like in about every other email from my gunsmith friend, he expounds upon the evils of the 3 jaw chuck... I get the idea that he doesn't like them very much. :lol:
Eh, there's nothing wrong with them, provided you have a decent one with minimal runout...

Universal chucks, like Buck "adjust tru" in either six or three jaw varieties are better, as you can dial them in to almost zero runout, with all the convenience of a 3 jaw chuck.

The downside, as always is cost - a 3 jaw Buck adjust tru 8 inch is 1300 dollars without it's special backing plate - grizzly sells one to fit your lathe for just under 600 dollars. :shock: :ugeek:

Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Possible stupid question... I don't currently own a regular bench grinder. For anything I would use a grinding wheel for, I use a 1x42" belt sander. Is there any reason that won't work for sharpening lathe tools?