Does not follow...

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
Netpackrat

Re: Does not follow...

Post by Netpackrat »

BE, I don't really have the energy to keep arguing with you over this right now, so I am just going to say that if masks don't do anything to prevent transmission of disease, then nearly every surgeon in the history of modern medicine who has worn them to prevent infecting their patients must have been wrong, and leave it at that.

Too many broken airplanes at work and too few people keeping them going leading to overtime being more common than getting home on time. We've been pretty fortunate in that only one of our guys has gotten covid, and he had been gone on a hunting trip when he found out he had been exposed. Yesterday was his first day back after testing negative for a while now (he had to wait for his GF to also test negative before coming back). Said it was no fun and his GF had a much harder time beating it than he did, and they are both younger than most of us at work (or here on the GC, for that matter). The doctors couldn't really tell him one way or the other about risk of reinfection since the data there isn't all that solid, like a lot of things about this bug still. Sometimes we have to deal with aircraft that have had covid patients on board and I told him that my expectation is that he will take the same PPE precautions that the rest of us do, although I will probably ask him to tackle some of those jobs rather than assigning somebody else who hasn't had covid and probably has zero immunity.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

In other news, ordered a Grizzly G4003G lathe recently. It will take me a bit to get it set up and running, but looking forward to learning how to use it. Initially planned to get the largest of their bench lathes, but both of the machinists in my life strongly advised getting the biggest lathe I could afford. And the G4003G is roughly twice the lathe as even the biggest bench lathe.

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Netpackrat wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:05 pm ... if masks don't do anything to prevent transmission of disease, then nearly every surgeon in the history of modern medicine who has worn them to prevent infecting their patients must have been wrong, and leave it at that.
Of course they have something to do with preventing transmission of disease -- bacterial mainly. Surgeons wear them to block spittle and spatter.

Point of those studies is that viruses are different -- smaller.

Why is it people working with viruses don't wear masks? Why do they wear what amounts to a MOPS suit?

It's like the difference between wearing a simple 3M carbon filter cartridge mask spraying a conventional paint vs dragging an outside air line around or wearing a bottle when spraying a polyurethane enamel like Imron.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Netpackrat wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:05 pm ... if masks don't do anything to prevent transmission of disease, then nearly every surgeon in the history of modern medicine who has worn them to prevent infecting their patients must have been wrong, and leave it at that.
Of course they have something to do with preventing transmission of disease -- bacterial mainly. Surgeons wear them to block spittle and spatter.

Point of those studies is that viruses are different -- smaller.

Why is it people working with viruses don't wear masks? Why do they wear what amounts to a MOPS suit?

It's like the difference between wearing a simple 3M carbon filter cartridge mask spraying a conventional paint vs dragging an outside air line around or wearing a bottle when spraying a polyurethane enamel like Imron.

In related news today my ICU nurse "niece in law" working in a Covid unit is home from work with an outbreak of cellulitus or something all over her face from wearing a mask daily. From zero to red, blisters, open oozing in hours. Comments from her RN colleagues on her FB post quickly ran to the dozens with tales of similar problems and home remedy tips for coping/speeding recovery time back to work.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
AlaskaTRX

Post by AlaskaTRX »

Netpackrat wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:20 pm In other news, ordered a Grizzly G4003G lathe recently.
Sooooo what are you going to make with that???
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Netpackrat wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:20 pmInitially planned to get the largest of their bench lathes, but both of the machinists in my life strongly advised getting the biggest lathe I could afford.
This is good advice with machine tools in general - I regularly run 84" Hurcos at work, and at least twice a year, I run into a job where more travel would be helpful.

Also, I hope you got spiders with that.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I think it is supposed to come with a spider. The point of the G4003G over the regular G4003 is the spider system, slightly bigger spindle bore, and a few other minor changes. Downside is the lack of a removable gap for doing larger jobs, but from what I have read there are some real downsides to using the gap so I am not sure if that really matters. My gunsmith friend who has a G4003 says he has never taken the gap out of his, because if he has a job that large, he takes it to a friend with a bigger lathe that has more horsepower.

Honestly though, the thing that really sold me on the G4003G is that it includes the stand; by the time you add the stand to the G4003 it ends up costing more.

One of the guys who told me to get the biggest I could afford is my father in law; since spending more money on tools potentially is robbing his grandkids' inheritance/college/etc, I figured he really meant it. :lol: I was going to get something smaller that would take up less of a footprint in my shop and then plan on upgrading as and if I need to, but when I dug into the specs the difference between the 26" lathe I had initially planned on and the 36" lathe ended up being only 7" in length.

It's kind of funny how the previous owner of my house's workshop has slowly been reconstituting itself over the last few years. I think he had his lathe in about the same spot as I am going to put mine, and the outdoor closet where I mounted my air compressor I am pretty sure was built for that specific purpose. He had his reloading bench located in the house basement and not in the shop though; too many grabby little hands in the house. His kids were older than mine. :mrgreen:

HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Netpackrat wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:58 pm I think it is supposed to come with a spider.
The outside end of the spindle is tapped like a spider yes, but there's no spider listed in place of the Chuck

You're gonna want this:
https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzl ... ard/T26623

Next, I'll teach you how not to flinch when burning hundred dollar bills, an essential training technique for those buying machine tools :mrgreen: :ugeek:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Yeah probably. I ordered some tool holders and bits from Victor and a dial indicator setup off ebay. First really big ticket thing I think I will want is a collet chuck.

HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Are you talking one of the ones that use a key, one of the speed chicks made by Hardinge(I have one for my Clausing, along with a turret attachment, so I can use it like a turret lathe), or a lever actuated collet closer? Because my preference is in ascending order.