Kids Today

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
SoupOrMan

Re: Kids Today

Post by SoupOrMan »

I bet his feelings were hurt. He probably spent all day adjusting his insignia and patches to look just so and likely spent hours in front of the mirror thinking "How can I wear my hat in a way that says I'm both detached, ironic and revolutionary?" We insensitive gun owners just do not know what agonies they go through to look like a member of Hipsters for Obama/Targets of Opportunity for Change/Cannon Fodder for Comintern. We just don't know, dammit.

Sorry, I was watching Zoolander again. What was the question?
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
dfwmtx

Post by dfwmtx »

Kids still dress up as wanna-be Commies? I thought they were dressing up like Arab terrorists or inner-city gangstahs. Dude must've been on a retro kick.
"Arms are honor; slaves have neither."

"I am Chaos, I am alive...and I tell you that you are free!" -Eris Discordia
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Aglifter wrote:Should I ask why you have 125# of Ti... No, no I shouldn't...
You should be asking why he hasn't shared it with me. :mrgreen:

HTRN
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
esa5444

Post by esa5444 »

HTRN wrote:
Aglifter wrote:Should I ask why you have 125# of Ti... No, no I shouldn't...
You should be asking why he hasn't shared it with me. :mrgreen:

HTRN
I was one of those kids for whom "because I don't care about them" was the answer to "why didn't you bring enough gum for everyone?". What can I say, I've been a Republican all my life.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

It sorta depends on how it came - 125 lbs of Titanium foil is terribly useful, nor is 1/8" screw machine stock(unless your making firing pins :mrgreen: ). If it's one piece, then it's almost half a cubic foot..

And we haven't even gotten into alloys. I'm assuming it's 6AL-4V as it's the most common commercial alloy.

HTRN
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
DougWojtowicz

Post by DougWojtowicz »

*imagines Eugene and HTRN working with 125# of Ti. Smiles. Fears for any targets.*
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

125 lbs is nothing. I used to fill up multiple 55 gallon drums a day with chips, when we were really cooking.

HTRN

esa5444

Post by esa5444 »

HTRN wrote:It sorta depends on how it came - 125 lbs of Titanium foil is terribly useful, nor is 1/8" screw machine stock(unless your making firing pins :mrgreen: ). If it's one piece, then it's almost half a cubic foot..

And we haven't even gotten into alloys. I'm assuming it's 6AL-4V as it's the most common commercial alloy.

HTRN
I have three sheets. Each is 1 inch thick. The first is Ti-35A, of which I have 37 pounds. The second sheet is indeed Ti-6Al-4V, of which I have about 45 pounds. The third sheet is Ti-13V-11Cr-3Al. of which I have 43 pounds. The best part was the price, free. They bought a lot of this stuff back in the 80s and cut off bits and pieces to do experiments with. When the experiments finished it was written off and put in the scrap metals heap along with the crap structural steel the Civ-Es use. I asked if I could have some, and they told me I could have all of it, as long as I got it out of the building. It's made me very happy.
Last edited by esa5444 on Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

I already mentioned 6AL4V, Ti-35A main application seems to be in high strength, corrosion resistant uses(Chemical Processing, Power Generation). Ti-13V-11Cr-3Al is often used for making springs and sheet applications, and is also known as B 120 VCA.

HTRN

esa5444

Post by esa5444 »

My next target acquisition, by the way, is a 5 pound chunk of Inconel. I asked, incidentally, as I was carting off the Ti, if I could have it. They said no, but it was not a very forceful no. I think buying the appropriate people some beer and a bit more work, and it will be mine.

I guess among people who horde metal, I am a high-roller, though I think I will horde some steel and aluminum as well. (Well I already have a stash of about 10 lbs of Al alloy). Crap steel is too tarty for my tastes, but sometimes, it comes in right useful.