Whitetail/Elk/Black Bear hunt possible...

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
Greg

Re: Whitetail/Elk/Black Bear hunt possible...

Post by Greg »

Denis wrote:
Greg wrote:There's much to be said for living indoors, plumbing, regular meals, etc
Greg, the mancard folks called. They want yours back :-)
Funny, yes. Get some dependents and then get back to me. :)
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

Denis wrote:
JAG2955 wrote:Should I ever leave?
What are you doing still here? :-)
Being a husband...

But I did get the Mystery Ranch pack and ordered a PLB/Satellite Communicator. (DeLorme Navigator, which was to make my wife feel better)

My VA credentials were sent into the ID Fish and Game, I just have to order the license and tags now. S&W 325 cylinder went off to Clark Custom for .460 Rowland conversion. I hope to get it back in time to practice.

I'll be joining a range this week to practice. It's 45 minutes away, but I was planning on joining anyways. It's expensive, but nice. I need to get out there and practice once my scope mount shows up.

It looks like I'll be up there in mid/late September to scout/black bear hunt, then 10 October starts the elk/whitetail/still bear season, which I want to be up there for.

I bought the license today and printed it out, the tags should be mailed in a few days.

Re: living outdoors. If you are in an appropriate climate with some form of overhead cover and some insulating layers, it's quite nice. Pooping outside is something of an art form, but easily acquired.
Greg

Post by Greg »

JAG2955 wrote: Re: living outdoors. If you are in an appropriate climate with some form of overhead cover and some insulating layers, it's quite nice. Pooping outside is something of an art form, but easily acquired.
Any places the climate is reasonably appropriate even a decent fraction of the year have had rampant hippy infestations for decades, precisely because of the weather.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

My idea of "nice weather" is cold enough to kill hippies who cannot afford a jacket.

I got my Ultimak M1A scout mount today and installed it. I did have a bit of trouble getting an Aimpoint mounted. I have an older Comp M2/3 in an ARMS mount and a Pro. I wanted to use the Pro on the stock mount, because I think it's a great system. The rail interferes with the Pro's knob. I was going to use the Comp, but I can't trust the ARMS mount as much due to their failure rate. Then I realtzed that I had a pair of LaRue low QD rings. One of them fits the Pro, mounts very well and co-witnesses with the irons. Dug through my gear to find a fixed stock adapter for a sling. Hopefully going to the range tomorrow.

S&W 325 cylinder should be back from Clark Custom next week. About two weeks until my scouting/black bear only trip.
toad

Post by toad »

I'd hopped that poor personal sanitation, the increasing potency of wacky weed and the corresponding increase in mental degradation would have killed off more of the hippies than it has.
Greg

Post by Greg »

toad wrote:I'd hopped that poor personal sanitation, the increasing potency of wacky weed and the corresponding increase in mental degradation would have killed off more of the hippies than it has.
The less value an individual adds to society, the harder they are to kill.

I understand you shouldn't get Aesop started on the subject.

JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

Shot the M1A at the range. I'm a little worried about the mount. The LaRue ring allows the Aimpoint to wobble slightly, but only if I'm pushing on it. I don't fault them for it, I'm using a single scope ring as an Aimpoint mount. I think that their mounting system is just a little too forgiving. Most of my LaRue stuff has some front to back. That's fine. This one also has some side-to-side.

I'm going to grab a Warne QD ring set tomorrow from a local shop. It will be 0.1" higher than the LaRue ring, but it has a lot more bearing area on the rail. If that doesn't work, I'll find the beefiest 30mm medium or low ring that I can find.

I shot about twenty rounds of Privi Partisan 7.62 through it to get it sighted in, as it was sky high, then shot ten rounds of Remington 150gr Core-Lokt, which has the same POA/POI as the Privi. How convenient. I then shot another 20 rounds of Privi at steel targets out to 200 yards from an unsupported seated position. The rifle strings vertically about 4 MOA over a 5 round group. I'll have to double check the Ultimak rail and see if there's any stock contact with the barrel. Or something else?

Planning on going out again early and often next week to ensure that I am proficient and confident with the weapons system. I met some nice guys today, watched them shoot at 1000yds, and found out that my ARs with gas blocks adjustable for a suppressor are the shit. NO MORE GAS IN MY FACE!
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

I grabbed a pair of Warne medium rings today. It does raise the mount approximately 0.1", but a co-witness is still just *barely* possible. I'd call it a
"lower fourth/fifth" co-witness. Still pretty neat. Granted, I have not shot this combo yet, but if you're looking for a cheap Aimpoint mount, this may be an option. $70 for two rings (or mounts!)

I changed out the hooded XS tritium big dot for a non-hooded XS tritium sight. I got both of them back when I bought this rifle used in a Sage EBR stock. The stock is long gone, I kept both night sights. The hood was getting in the way of a clear sight picture.

And because this thread is worthless without pics:
FullSizeRender.jpg
Fiddling with the mount, it feels much more solid. It is possible that the location that I picked for the previous ring was just a bad Picatinny slot. I moved the Aimpoint forward away from that spot.

Ten round mag for carry, 20s for backup. I'm really liking the look and feel of this carbine. But not the sound.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

Talked with my neighbor to the south-east tonight.

No grizz seen, ever, but they had a mountain lion paw print bigger than a man's fist in the snow this winter. They did see a black bear print in the road a few days ago.
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

I dunno. I still think I'd rather go with the .270 with 140-150 gr. Nosler Partitions.

Of course, as my father was fond of telling me, "You're a big boy now. You can make your own damfool mistakes."

Good luck, and be careful! There aren't many here that will put up with my foolishness, I can't afford to lose one!
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom