Getting started with Motorcycles

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
Joe ex PNG

Re: Getting started with Motorcycles

Post by Joe ex PNG »

+1 on the Vespa. Better yet, let her pick out the colour and accessories. If you can get her to want to drive it herself, you migh just have to 'let' her borrow it and then get that Triumph (or whatever) you've been wanting. "But honey, you keep riding the Vespa, so I need a bike of my own."
Bob K

Post by Bob K »

Go to http://www.msf-usa.org/ for info on rider classes. An introductory class is absolutely mandatory.

FWIW, I've been riding for 40+ years. Many road trips. I've ridden to every one of the lower 48, at least once.

Rode Brit bikes as a kid (Velocette, Triumph, Norton), moved to Harley as an adult. Best road bike I've ever owned is the Electra-Glide. For road trips, comfort is the paramount concern.

After you've ridden for at least a year, read Super Biking by Blackett Ditchburn.

One piece of advice on buying a used bike: make sure it is completely stock. Trust me on this one.
"Youth and skill are no match for age and treachery." Unknown

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

"Oderint dum metuant." ("Let them hate, so long as they fear.") Accius
Wrenchbender1

Post by Wrenchbender1 »

Mud_Dog wrote:
Well, the biggest reason why I want one if for the 700 mile trip(one way back to my home in NC)...
If you're getting it for long distance travel for God's sake don't get a crotch rocket. I rode one from Erie, PA to Wilmington, NC and at the end of it I couldn't even get my feet off the pegs because my knees where so messed up. I almost laid it over at the gas pump. Thankfully I was close enough to the pump to keep the bike upright with my arm until I got my legs sorted out. :lol:
Beware lest in your anxiety to avoid war you obtain a master.
- Demosthenes
Mud_Dog

Post by Mud_Dog »

Well I went up to the Harley place today, and they offer introductory courses. I'll have to work around my schedule one of these weeks. Also checked out some used bikes they had available. They had some that were decked out and a few that were pretty much stock.

One of the guys there was helping me out, and I think I really like their 2006 XL 1200L, came with a detachable windshield, luggage rack and saddlebags. Seemed to fit me pretty well, just didn't like the angle of the bars but that can be fixed. Nine grand isn't too bad is it? They had a Suzuki Boulvard, 250cc I think, and it was pretty tiny. Price was four grand on that one and came with a windshield and saddlebags.

Time to start saving up for that down payment.

Bob, by stock do you mean the parts or the accessories?
Obamalypse, Part II: The Armening. (-NPR)
Bob K

Post by Bob K »

Mud,

When I said "stock", I was primarily referring to engine & transmission modifications, primarily to enhance performance. Performance and reliability are trade-offs. The more performance, the less reliability.
"Youth and skill are no match for age and treachery." Unknown

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

"Oderint dum metuant." ("Let them hate, so long as they fear.") Accius
Dub_James

Post by Dub_James »

Erik wrote:
mekender wrote:so what is the best bike to get to keep my wife from divorcing me over getting a bike?
A Vespa.
"It's not a bike, honey, it's a scooter..." 8-)

yes, I've seen it done

Get a scooter in the 300-650cc engine size range.

Check out Suzuki, Piaggio, Honda, Gilera, etc.

The Vespas are nice, but not for cruising at distance. Piaggio makes several machines more suitable than their Vespas for touring distances. Piaggio and Gilera do 2 front-wheeled bikes (MP3 and Fuocco) which provide greater contact surface and traction redundancy.

Suzuki have the Burgman range from 125-650cc. Gilera also have the 850cc GP800. Honda has the 400 and 600cc Silverwing, plus some smaller engined machines like the Reflex, Helix etc. Yamaha have the excellent TMax, but I'm not sure if it's available in the U.S.

Scooters have FAR better weather protection, much more comfortable feet down or forward riding positions (but without the comical leg-split look of the Harleys), much more storage space and are easier to maintain. Aprons can also be ordered that entirely cover the lower half of the body for even greater rain protection. Scooters also carry their weight low slung, giving them their greater maneuverability, and much easier to lift if you down it.

Modern scooter engines are far less finicky than the classic motorcycle designs, and have service intervals equal to or better than most cars. No messing with chains, petcocks, fuel mixtures etc. No changing up, down, clutching... Just Twist and Go.

Avoid like Satan the crotch rocket style machines. You'll be placing a substantial percentage of your body weight on your wrists, straining muscles to "grip" the tank, exposed to the elements and banjaxing your knees, as someone mentioned earlier. They are NOT ergonomic.

Beyond that, it's "conventional" bikes, but most that I've seen don't provide sufficient weather protection and don't (generally) permit the apron addition. They tend sit much taller, too.
Last edited by Dub_James on Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oh, the heads that turn
Make my back burn
And those heads that turn
Make my back, make my back burn

-She Sells Sanctuary
The Cult
Joe ex PNG

Post by Joe ex PNG »

If I had the money for a serious long distance machine, I would copy the Iron Butt maniacs and go with a BMW GS. As for [strike]Hardly-Rideables[/strike]Harleys, most of them seem to do their long distance travel on trailers, from what I've seen.
Lokidude

Post by Lokidude »

In the mentioning of scooters, you left out the only one I'd ever own, the Honda Ruckus. The rest of em just feel... wrong to me.
workinwifdakids wrote: We've thus far avoided the temptation to jack an entire forum.

But what the hell.
Standing for Truth, Justice, and the American Way!
Mud_Dog

Post by Mud_Dog »

I found the info online. I know that dealers are always out to get you and I think he may have been trying to pull some slick stuff over on me since I'm new to the whole business(I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt since he was pretty helpful, but we all know how car salesmen can be...). Thankfully they have a website so I can check it out afterwards.

While the little Suzuki Boulevard was small, it certainly wasn't a 250cc bike like he had told me. Here's the model they had on the floor: Suzuki Boulevard S40

And here's the one that fit me well: H-D Sportster XL1200L Custom
It doesn't say how many cc's it is, anyone know?

Anyway, I may just go for the Suzuki since it's cheaper and lighter than the others. It may not feel as good as the other one, but when I first started driving, a car felt different too. I'm sure I'll get used too it. My cousin has a larger Boulevard and he hasn't complained about it yet. It has almost the same features as the Sportster, minus the luggage rack and the size of the saddle bags. I think the only reason I was turned off was because he told me it was a rather tiny engine. I'll have to keep thinking on it(and seeing if I can work it into my budget).
Obamalypse, Part II: The Armening. (-NPR)
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

And here's the one that fit me well: H-D Sportster XL1200L Custom
It doesn't say how many cc's it is, anyone know?
1200 :)

Shop around, don't rush into a first bike purchase.