Does not follow...

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
Greg
Probably Unemployed

Re: Does not follow...

Postby Greg » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:12 pm

Gin and tonic with Meyer lemon instead of lime is surprisingly nice. I'm out of limes but have a whole Costco-sized bag of the lemons.....
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr

evan price
Trigger Junkie

Postby evan price » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:55 am

Our Ohioans for Concealed Carry annual picnic was today. Meet some old friends, listened to some speeches, had some good food...and won a gun from the door prizes.
Ruger 10/22 tactical with threaded barrel.
Mrs price didn't complain i was bringing another gun home.
Also scored a 50-round box of 9mm 115gr+p Gold Dots and a Beretta banner for the gun room.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!

Vonz90
Active Shooter

Postby Vonz90 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:44 pm

The good news - the house is under contract.

Also the good news - we found a large lot that we like.

The not so good news. We need to find a rental fast and get moved out of the house, just dropped a crap ton of money as the son (not the one at USNA) is going off to college this week and we still have to find money for a deposit and various other things. We will do it, but I hate the getting crunched like this. It is funny how big expenses always come in groups.

I suppose we could always live under an overpass for a few weeks until we find a place :D

Anyway, the wife is going back to working full time again for the first time about 9 years, so that will be very good from a financial (and probably her sanity) standpoint - but it doesn't actually help until the paychecks roll in.

Interesting times. (Good but "interesting")

randy

Postby randy » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:37 pm

I understand a Van down by The River is a trendy place to stay... :mrgreen:
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".

Vonz90
Active Shooter

Postby Vonz90 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:36 pm

randy wrote:I understand a Van down by The River is a trendy place to stay... :mrgreen:

Well the wife and I decided that we could not force ourselves to pay rent for a house when the mortgage for a similar sized house would be like half of that.

..... So now we are quick looking for a house that is:

1. Cheap
2. We would not mind living in
3. In an area that we could rent out easily when we are ready.

Plan is to buy it as rental property (i.e. through an LLC) so we can just switch it over as soon as a permanent place is done. The flexibility will be good too since we have no idea how long the buy land / build a house escapade will take. Especially as we have not even chosen the land yet or picked a builder.

Not a lot of time to do this though. Need to pick something in like the next week.

Fun stuff - not.

Rumpshot
Active Shooter

Postby Rumpshot » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:10 pm

Vonz90 wrote:
randy wrote:I understand a Van down by The River is a trendy place to stay... :mrgreen:

Well the wife and I decided that we could not force ourselves to pay rent for a house when the mortgage for a similar sized house would be like half of that.

..... So now we are quick looking for a house that is:

1. Cheap
2. We would not mind living in
3. In an area that we could rent out easily when we are ready.

Plan is to buy it as rental property (i.e. through an LLC) so we can just switch it over as soon as a permanent place is done. The flexibility will be good too since we have no idea how long the buy land / build a house escapade will take. Especially as we have not even chosen the land yet or picked a builder.

Not a lot of time to do this though. Need to pick something in like the next week.

Fun stuff - not.

My wife and I did that while we had our house built. Worked out well. Lived in the house for about 6 months, then made just over closing costs.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona

Steamforger
On a list somewhere

Postby Steamforger » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:10 pm

It got weird on the Homemade Submarine

I'd guess the skipper was pleased with his reporter and took her out for a little boat ride. I suspect he got a "lil' bit rapey" out there and may have done something he couldn't come back from.

The sub foundered and only he was rescued, whereupon he told the CG folks that his passenger died on the shakedown and he "buried her at sea in an undisclosed location in the bay". He also mentioned he was "toying with some controls and an error occurred".

He was, of course, immediately arrested.

A limbless, headless female torso was recovered mere hours after all this happened. He did seem to neglect to mention he buried her at sea in numerous undisclosed locations.

I suspect the skipper is about to have a very, very bad time. He should be keelhauled, but I'd worry it'd be over too quickly. I am amazed that he tried to pass this story off at all as if the authorities would say something like "Oh, thanks for the tip, we'll see if we can recover her, completely understand your situation, rough going and all that, can we get you anything? Coffee? Tea? Another reporter?"

Weetabix
Good Christ I Need A Life

Postby Weetabix » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:52 pm

Submariner said, "I was toying with various things on the submarine, then an error occurred."

That could mean anything:
- I was toying with the reporter, she objected, and I killed her.
- We were seeing who could get their fingers closest to the propeller, and she won.
- Anything else.

Sounds like he deserves a very, very hard time.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:35 pm

Steamforger wrote:It got weird on the Homemade Submarine

I'd guess the skipper was pleased with his reporter and took her out for a little boat ride. I suspect he got a "lil' bit rapey" out there and may have done something he couldn't come back from.

The sub foundered and only he was rescued, whereupon he told the CG folks that his passenger died on the shakedown and he "buried her at sea in an undisclosed location in the bay". He also mentioned he was "toying with some controls and an error occurred".

He was, of course, immediately arrested.

A limbless, headless female torso was recovered mere hours after all this happened. He did seem to neglect to mention he buried her at sea in numerous undisclosed locations.

I suspect the skipper is about to have a very, very bad time. He should be keelhauled, but I'd worry it'd be over too quickly. I am amazed that he tried to pass this story off at all as if the authorities would say something like "Oh, thanks for the tip, we'll see if we can recover her, completely understand your situation, rough going and all that, can we get you anything? Coffee? Tea? Another reporter?"

Wouldn't work, his name's not Kennedy.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:01 pm

Not sure if parody or serious:

https://youtu.be/qBfb2w03Vu0
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop

blackeagle603
Probably Unemployed

Postby blackeagle603 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:43 pm

Oh. My.

I fear that is not a parody. Nice to have airvents in that "clip" though. Esp if things get hot in Phoenix.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:17 am

Back at work on my new reloading area/bench. Will post pics when it is done: I am doing something similar to what this guy has:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hgmeIh75nk

One difference is I am spacing my t-slot tracks exactly for Inline Fabrication's tall mounts, whereas he only added their mounts as an afterthought, so he's had to rig adapters and drill different holes. Only downside is IF's shorter mounts use a different hole spacing, so if I get any of those later on, I will still need to make adapters. What I will probably do in that case, is buy the shortest of their mounts, and then add some risers made of channel steel that are made to match my bench tracks. But any of the mounts I currently have can be moved to anywhere on the bench, without drilling any new holes.

It's been great being able to take some of my reloading stuff out of the boxes it has been in for the last couple years.

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop

Vonz90
Active Shooter

Postby Vonz90 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:50 pm

Well the first contract fell through. They did not like the high speed internet options (we have it, just not with the company they wanted to use). Although the good news is that the home inspection they paid for came back with only some minor stuff.

Have another couple who has already looked at the house a couple of times that looks like they are going to put in a contract now that it opened up. So here is hoping.....

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:03 pm

That's lame. We finally sold our old house (moved into the new one end of February) at the beginning of this month. It should have been done a lot sooner, but the douche who made us the first offer got cold feet and backed out in May, trying to use the excuse that he didn't have the money for the down payment. We ended up getting all of his earnest money eventually although it didn't come close to covering all of the work he had us do (some of it was legit, but we agreed to do some stupid things he asked for in the interest of just getting it done). I guess he pissed his agent off pretty bad and got fired as a client.

I haven't met the people who ended up buying it (I probably will at some point since I only moved about 500 yards and am friends with a couple of the neighbors there) but they are OK as far as I am concerned; they accepted the previous home inspection and all of the work we'd had done. Would have been closed in under a month but their lender dragged things out a bit.

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:27 am

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:58 am

Wasn't aware that Alfa Romeo was back in the US market until today.

Driving to Microcenter to pick something up for a friend (yes I do tech support for my friends) I saw not one, but two Giulia's. About 6 cars apart, it was a weird deja vu moment.

The Guilia looks about like a 3-series with a really weird front clip.

Weird squinty headlights instead of the BMW cats eyes, and one large triangular central nose opening (you know, like on a human skull) instead of two 'kidney' nostrils.

HTRN
Probably Unemployed

Postby HTRN » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:55 pm

So, A prominent member of GD recently infitrated an Antifa meeting about the then upcoming bay area debacle.

Did i mention that the infiltrator was a transexual who likes to dress like a pirate? :shock:

Thats right, one of the biggest gun boards online, has a pirate tranny spy imbeded into the neocommy hipster assholes. :lol:

You cant make this stuff up - the 21st century just keeps getting wierder. :?
EGO partum , proinde EGO sum

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:02 pm

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:35 am

I was just out mowing the lawn a little while back, and in one spot in the back I found a pair of the hugest acorns I have ever seen. Colossal. Like small bumpy apples.

Apparently the HUGE old oak tree just outside our property line in the middle of the back of the yard, is a bur oak. I was wondering, we'd never seen it drop any acorns before. When we bought the place, just about two years ago, the tree had some truly enormous Virginia creeper vines on it which I cut. I'd rather have an oak tree. I wonder if that helped. Two years later, shazam, giant acorns that take two years to mature.....

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:58 am

Oh fuck a duck.

Https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2017/09/05/¯_ツ_¯-obama-lawyer-who-worked-on-daca-admits-its-probably-unconstitutional/

(The whole thing is the link, stupid forum software.) Fixed-Mod (Thank you.)

I KNOW this guy. I went to high school with him. Same year. Our graduating class was only 200 or so, so even though we weren't close yes I know him and had classes with him. We have about 15 mutual friends on FB.

I found him kind of an annoying weirdo then - fairly but not exceptionally bright, but definitely irritatingly weird - and knowing he's a lawyer who worked on *that* piece of crap isn't helping.

Kommander
Active Shooter

Postby Kommander » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:18 pm

HTRN wrote:You cant make this stuff up - the 21st century just keeps getting wierder. :?

At least it's still just weird and hasn't ramped up to "fucking horrible" in less than 15 years like the last century did.

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:33 pm

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:30 am

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:57 am

Guess this is the thread for it... Thought I would mention I finally bought a new truck last week. I'd been driving my '73 Chevy 2wd truck all summer because the '01 Jeep at 152K on the clock has kind of a sick engine, and I'd been conserving it in case I had to drive it for another winter. Sale of the old house last month finally allowed me to upgrade. The '73 that my parents bought new, and in which both AlaskaTRX and I made our first rides home from the hospital will probably go away at some point. Not sure what I am going to do about repairing the Jeep yet, whether it gets a straight reman, stroker kit, or what once I am ready to tackle it. Apparently the last few years of the 4.0 had an iffy head casting which eventually cracks and causes problems with oil pressure that eventually take out the whole motor. It had been losing coolant for a while, with no apparent leaks or contamination in the oil, it had to be going somewhere which means probably out the exhaust. It's had a lot of customization, and I will never find another vehicle that is as unstoppable in the winter, so repairing it is not really a question of if, but rather of when and how. Anyway....

New rig is a 2017 Ram 1500 crew cab with the 5.7 hemi and the 76" box. I wanted it in black but the only choice at either local dealer was the same dark red as AlaskaTRX's power wagon, if I wanted a non-white truck that was anything close to what I wanted mechanically. So that's probably going to cost us a custom paint job on whatever enclosed trailer we end up buying together, since it means we can get it to match both trucks. It seems to have been sitting on the lot for a while (the pictures of it on the dealer website had snow in the bed) and it had been marked way down, so the price was a lot better than I had expected to pay.

People ask me how I like it and about all I can come up with is "it's a truck and I am sure it will do what I need it to do." There's nothing about it that I really hate yet, and it has stupid amounts of power and very good brakes which I got to test the other day when some asian broad tried to change lanes abruptly right in front of me. It's just hard to get excited about it when I basically like my other truck other than lack of 4wd, and we've been together for so long. I'm glad that I don't have to worry about nursing the Jeep through another winter and now have the luxury of taking the time and money to fix it in a way I will be happy with. I am liking the improved fuel mileage a lot while I am hating the increase in my insurance premium even more.

HTRN
Probably Unemployed

Postby HTRN » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:03 pm

304 Stainless sucks to machine, leaves sharp edges, and is heavy as fuck. :|

Oh, Cabelas is having a sale on Savage rifles. 219 after rebate.

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:20 pm

HTRN wrote:304 Stainless sucks to machine, leaves sharp edges, and is heavy as fuck. :|

Oh, Cabelas is having a sale on Savage rifles. 219 after rebate.

Link no work.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/SAVAGE-F ... 994604.uts

blackeagle603
Probably Unemployed

Postby blackeagle603 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:38 pm

Netpackrat wrote:... It's had a lot of customization, and I will never find another vehicle that is as unstoppable in the winter, so repairing it is not really a question of if, but rather of when and how. Anyway....

Well if you sell that new Dodge quick you might have about half the coin needed for this Banks diesel conversion. :)

https://www.dieselworldmag.com/diesel-j ... scrambler/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:19 pm

Pass. I am pretty much over wanting a diesel Jeep (or truck, etc). If I get a boat someday I may want a diesel then.

HTRN
Probably Unemployed

Postby HTRN » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:55 pm

I just looked at the price of diesel conversions for suburbans, and they range from 23-28k. Considering I just saw a 2012(second to last year of the 2500 burn) listed by a dealer at 27 grand, its literally double the value if the truck. :shock:

Vonz90
Active Shooter

Postby Vonz90 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:42 pm

So my son tells me that one of the Midshipmen Company Commanders at Boat School was relieved because he was caught with "A George Foreman Grille, a futon, a rice cooker and a hot plate" hidden in his room.

First off, I very clearly remember the size of those rooms, WTF? Where did he find room to hide all that stuff?

Secondly, he sounds resourceful and the should promote him.

randy

Postby randy » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:57 pm

Just got a new HP laser printer at home. Didn't register the model number until I went to select it and it sunk it that it was an M203.

Can't find a selection option in printer properties for HE, Flare, Smoke, CS or Buckshot. Have to keep checking for driver updates I guess.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".

HTRN
Probably Unemployed

Postby HTRN » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:00 pm

Vonz90
Active Shooter

Postby Vonz90 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:56 pm

So apparently my oldest daughter and her husband are expecting their third child. They have two daughters so hopefully a boy this go around.

HTRN
Probably Unemployed

Postby HTRN » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:44 pm

1 pbr warm usnt that bad.
2 i finally snagged a pig mold off of ebay.
3 ebay sellers offering hammer molds should put down the crack pipe, and post some somewhat sane prices.

George guy
Loose Cannon

Postby George guy » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:07 am

Watching the kerfuffle between Andrew Torba and Vox Day. Damn.

The short version is that somehow, Torba has got it into his head that you're being a crybaby if you want him to ban anyone for smearing you as a pedophile, or pursue legal action with the intent to subpoena his company for the user's identifying information.
'Regulate' used to mean the opposite of 'constipate.'

Jericho941

Postby Jericho941 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:13 am

Vonz90
Active Shooter

Postby Vonz90 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:40 am

Shopping for stuff to cook for dinner with my 14 year old daughter and she positively begged for me to buy some Brussels sprouts. All good as like them too, but I do not think this is common.

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:40 pm

I've begun to notice, on issue after issue.....

As obnoxious, rude, crass and borderline unhinged as Trump and his public statements and Twitter utterances have been, he's been a lightning rod protecting the oppressed.

On how many different issues now have we seen a status quo where libs/progs held the high ground and all the power and regular folks knew to just keep quiet and carry on.... And then Trump blew up the whole situation with one Tweet.

Then the pattern goes, the lib/prog jackboot-wearers try to stomp Trump into line, and naturally fail. And meanwhile, under the cover of Trump's distraction, regular people are able to actually express what used to be a forbidden opinion.

He takes all the outrage and hate of the usual suspects onto himself, so the rest of us can be free of it.

Yeah he's Twitter Jesus.

What have we come to?

Gunnuts
Case Shiner

Postby Gunnuts » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:19 pm

Twitter Jesus.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rich
On a list somewhere

Postby Rich » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:46 pm

Government by tweet, Oh Joy.
A weak government usually remains a servant of citizens, while a strong government usually becomes the master of its subjects.
- paraphrased from several sources

A choice, not an echo. - Goldwater campaign, 1964

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:52 pm

Gunnuts wrote:
Twitter Jesus.jpg

That's somehow disturbing and awesome at the same time. :)

Weetabix

Postby Weetabix » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:08 pm

Rich wrote:Government by tweet, Oh Joy.

Is it that, or is he trolling the media to get their attention off of what he's really doing? Like the magician's distracting other hand?

Jericho941

Postby Jericho941 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:29 pm

Sometimes, I just randomly think about how allegedly, Dubya tried to convince Chirac to invade Iraq with the US and UK because "Gog and Magog are at work in the Middle East. Biblical prophecies are being fulfilled. This confrontation is willed by God, who wants to use this conflict to erase His people’s enemies before a new age begins."

Vonz90
Active Shooter

Postby Vonz90 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:57 am

Jericho941 wrote:Sometimes, I just randomly think about how allegedly, Dubya tried to convince Chirac to invade Iraq with the US and UK because "Gog and Magog are at work in the Middle East. Biblical prophecies are being fulfilled. This confrontation is willed by God, who wants to use this conflict to erase His people’s enemies before a new age begins."

.... you do realize that never happened right?

Windy Wilson
Active Shooter

Postby Windy Wilson » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:22 pm

Vonz90 wrote:
Jericho941 wrote:Sometimes, I just randomly think about how allegedly, Dubya tried to convince Chirac to invade Iraq with the US and UK because "Gog and Magog are at work in the Middle East. Biblical prophecies are being fulfilled. This confrontation is willed by God, who wants to use this conflict to erase His people’s enemies before a new age begins."

I could tell my brother and his wife this story and they'd believe every word because Christians are just Muslims who haven't strapped on the vest yet. :twisted: :roll:
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy

blackeagle603
Probably Unemployed

Postby blackeagle603 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:53 pm

Umm <Clive Claven voice>

re: Gog and Magog

Look further north. Like north to Russia.

Ezekiel 38-39 and in Revelation 20:7-8.
Gog: leader of army that attacks the land of Israel. Described as “of the land of Magog, the prince of Rosh, Meshech, and Tubal” (Ezekiel 38:2-3).

Rosh = Russia. Meshech and Tubal are believed by some to be predecessors of Moscow and Tubolsk.

Depending on your view of eschatology, Ezekiel's battle of Gog and Magog will occur in the tribulation period (in the peaceful first 3 1/2 years).

Jericho941

Postby Jericho941 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:18 pm

Vonz90 wrote:

It's more fun to think about than what actually happened.

Weetabix

Postby Weetabix » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:47 pm

Trying to lose weight by cutting out wheat, potatoes, rice, sugar, etc. The first three are easy, because I never strongly needed them.

But life without dessert feels strangely pale and dialed back.

BTW, faking frozen yogurt by mixing Greek yogurt, splenda, and orange extract, then putting it in the freezer and stirring every 10 minutes was curiously disappointing. :geek:

blackeagle603
Probably Unemployed

Postby blackeagle603 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:10 pm

But life without dessert feels strangely pale and dialed back.

Google fatbombs

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:37 am

Amazon's free shipping is increasingly worth less than you pay for it... Latest batch of stuff that has yet to ship, was ordered on the 17th. Good thing I don't need any of it soon. That said, there's no real advantage to paying extra for the standard shipping to get an order here faster. The last time I tried that, they still sat on the order for a week before shipping.

HTRN
Probably Unemployed

Postby HTRN » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:09 am

Netpackrat wrote:Amazon's free shipping is increasingly worth less than you pay for it... Latest batch of stuff that has yet to ship, was ordered on the 17th. Good thing I don't need any of it soon.

Ahem. :ugeek:

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:46 pm

You know you're married to a shipwright's daughter, when your friend is showing off pictures of the boat he's restoring, and the first question out of her mouth, is whether it is wood or steel?

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:37 am

You know I finally saw 'John Wick' yesterday.

Most fun I've had in a long time.

Steamforger
On a list somewhere

Postby Steamforger » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:26 am

I'm expecting I won't see a pic of a first responder taking a knee in protest....

HTRN
Probably Unemployed

Postby HTRN » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:30 pm

They're doing a location shoot for Elementary next week at my employers - dont know which part of the building they're gonna use, or if any of the employees will be used as extras, but still, pretty cool.

MarkD
Active Shooter

Postby MarkD » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:50 pm

Fuck me.

Rant begins.

I worked on a project a year ago, got back burnered because reasons. Got restarted at the beginning of the summer. Basically two things going on, the current data (basically everything we captured since last October) and the backlog (everything that happened before we started capturing the current data). My manager has been working since August to figure out how to handle the backlog. It all, current and backlog, needs to be done by Friday.

She calls me today at 4:00 to tell me she can't figure it out, so she needs me to own it. Three fucking days before implementation. But she knows I can do it.

She just knows I can do in three days what she couldn't in six weeks.

Again, fuck me.

But she didn't bring me in a month ago because reasons.

I'm seriously considering throwing this one and let them threaten to fire me.

Vonz90
Active Shooter

Postby Vonz90 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:20 am

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/metr ... 40a2b.html

WTF - tell them to pet the cute elk and bison. Anyone stupid enough to try deserves whatever they get.

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:36 am

Steamforger
On a list somewhere

Postby Steamforger » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:13 am

If you're looking for a Swiss Luger, AIM has 5.

They're not cheap, but they've gottem.

Vonz90
Active Shooter

Postby Vonz90 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:45 pm

https://gigapixel.panoramas.com/navy/football/20171007/

Picture of my son at the Navy-Air Farce game. He is in more or less in the middle.

Weetabix

Postby Weetabix » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:49 pm

Vonz90 wrote:https://gigapixel.panoramas.com/navy/football/20171007/

Picture of my son at the Navy-Air Farce game. He is in more or less in the middle.

Handsome fellow. :D

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:41 am

HTRN wrote:
Netpackrat wrote:Amazon's free shipping is increasingly worth less than you pay for it... Latest batch of stuff that has yet to ship, was ordered on the 17th. Good thing I don't need any of it soon.

Ahem. :ugeek:

Yeah, they still haven't shipped it. I don't need any of it urgently (or I would not have ordered from Amazon), but if it goes on much longer I am going to cancel most of it and order elsewhere.

OTOH, I recently ordered something from Home Depot that Amazon wouldn't ship because Alaska. Tracking says it started out in WA state, then went to Oregon, and is now making its way through California... :|

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:52 pm

So, only when I try to cancel that order do they decide that NOW they want to ship it today, and won't let me do that.

evan price
Trigger Junkie

Postby evan price » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:13 pm

Just acquired a 98% rust free 1985 Toyota Celica GTS liftback rolling body shell. Guy was gutting it for an enduro car. Came with a zero miles freshly rebuilt engine & new stage2 clutch and fuel pump and a Kirkey racing seat.
I have the identical twin to this car behind my barn i bought 20 years ago wrecked. So i have every part to restore it.
Best part? Guy wanted it out of his garage so his wife could park in for winter...$500.
Coincidentally i just sold a Ford explorer parts truck for a $500 profit so it cost me nothing.

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:13 am

Time to ramble on about my nuts again.....

It's a serious mast year here. We have one *very* large bur(r) oak that is just outside our property line, in state land. We also have one black walnut on our lot, and three more just over the property line in our neighbor's yard with branches hanging over ours.

We've never seen that oak produce acorns before this year. Now it's going bonkers. The walnuts are also producing like mad.

Yesterday I had a pair of helpers each fill a 5 gallon bucket with acorns and walnuts. Was easy, despite only being able to get at a fraction of the goods. The oak because only a relatively small part of the canopy hangs over our lot, the majority is over heavy brush we don't want to mess with. Similar story with the 4 walnut trees- most of what they're dropping is in the neighbor's yard. (We haven't gone over to prowl for nuts because we haven't had a chance to ask yet. We know they would say yes, but they also know that we would always ask first. It's like that )

Just for kicks, my wife and I had a look at the forage. She pried a bunch of the acorns out of the caps (which on these is tricky) while I cleaned some walnuts. New process this year. I took them out on our patio, stomped them really hard and ground them underfoot to get most of the husk off, then scrubbed them with a stiff brush in a big bowl of water to get them the rest of the way clean. They're sitting on paper towels drying right now. (My hands are various shades of brown. Much darker at the extremities, like finger tips, like the 'point' of a Siamese cat.)

We each did about 3 dozen or so. That dropped the level in one of the buckets by about a third. Which caused the helpers to immediately go top off the bucket - took them only a few minutes. Scary.

I still have a couple dozen walnuts from last year. They've been sitting in a bowl in the kitchen for a year. Yesterday I ate one. Getting it open was brutal. Tasted like 'walnuts' (English) plus an extra bit of sweetness, and just a hint of apples. Slightly astringent/bitter aftertaste. So after sitting at room temp for an entire year, they don't seem to be rancid. I'm impressed.

I'm not a huge fan of nuts, but I do like the occasional walnut, pecan or hazelnut.

Oh, and these acorns are off the charts. The squirrels have been ignoring the walnuts to feast upon them, and still can't keep up. Inside their caps, the whole thing is nearly the size of a baseball. With the caps off, the acorns themselves are slightly larger than the walnuts. My wife said something about how, now it makes sense to her how in some places and times acorns were considered food (still some places now).

I found a pecan tree in a park a few weeks back and it seemed like it was producing a lot, but there's something wrong with it. When things 'ripened', the husks opened leaving the nuts exposed, the nuts were only the size of cashews at best, and the few I opened the nut halves inside were tiny and shriveled. Oh well.

Need to find some proper hickories.

HTRN
Probably Unemployed

Postby HTRN » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:00 am

Got side swiped in a hit and run today :evil:

Thankfully its only cosmetic damage, and relatively minor.

g-man
Trigger Junkie

Postby g-man » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:34 am

Found out that we've got a rat eating our walnuts on the tree. Live trap has been secured and is set and baited in the back yard as I type this. Live trap because with dogs we can't use poison, and snap-traps are out since I'd just catch dog paws with those.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

HTRN
Probably Unemployed

Postby HTRN » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:36 am

g-man wrote:Found out that we've got a rat eating our walnuts on the tree. Live trap has been secured and is set and baited in the back yard as I type this. Live trap because with dogs we can't use poison, and snap-traps are out since I'd just catch dog paws with those.

Peanut butter. :ugeek:

g-man
Trigger Junkie

Postby g-man » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:41 am

Ayup. Wife smeared the stuff on the actuator inside the trap, and I set it out in the corner of the yard. I'll have to check it before I let the dogs out, but expect it will likely have an occupant in the morning. Little bastards...
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

HTRN
Probably Unemployed

Postby HTRN » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:49 am

Started watching "Project Binky" by Bad Obsession motorsports on youtube. Imagine two working class guys from central England(Shopshire, to be exact) try to shoehorn in a celica awd drivetrain into an oginal (and thoroughly clapped out) mini. Now add in a does of Monty python and Benny hill, with an opening sequence that is clearly a nod to Police squad. One of their latest episodes is how to tig weld a coffe mug... :lol:

Weetabix

Postby Weetabix » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:14 am

Spenser often had baked scrod at restaurants in the Spenser books. I was passing through Wilmington, MA (couldn't wait to get out of Boston), so I ordered some scrod, even though they spelled it "schrod". I liked it a lot. I'd get it again.

BTW- I'm in Lincoln, NH this week if anyone is nearby and interested in getting coffee.

HTRN
Probably Unemployed

Postby HTRN » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:52 pm

Gotta look into pids and heating elements now that I got a star, gonna do a baseplate at work.. :ugeek:

Vonz90
Active Shooter

Postby Vonz90 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:57 pm

Weetabix wrote:Spenser often had baked scrod at restaurants in the Spenser books. I was passing through Wilmington, MA (couldn't wait to get out of Boston), so I ordered some scrod, even though they spelled it "schrod". I liked it a lot. I'd get it again.

BTW- I'm in Lincoln, NH this week if anyone is nearby and interested in getting coffee.

Scrod is not actually a type of fish: http://www.celebrateboston.com/culture/scrod-origin.htm

Steamforger
On a list somewhere

Postby Steamforger » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:17 pm

Pretty sure I've linked to Project Binky in the past. There's good fab and humor happening over there.

Weetabix

Postby Weetabix » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:04 am

Weetabix wrote:Spenser often had baked scrod fish of disputed species at restaurants in the Spenser books.

Had a lobster roll today. And the guy said it was real lobster. Liked it, too.

Next, I need to find New England clam(?) chowder(?).

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:10 am

Blind squirrel, meet acorn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYjgwgA8LWw

It kind of makes me regret how thoroughly Yeager's beclowned himself in the past, because I watched a few of his recent videos, and he seems to be hitting them out of the park lately. I was able to watch the video he made inviting Antifa to training before Youtube pulled it down and it was pretty funny.

Steamforger
On a list somewhere

Postby Steamforger » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:36 pm

Hows that ISO 9001 working out for you?

I have a feeling NPR may be busy over the next few years.

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:26 pm

Steamforger wrote:Hows that ISO 9001 working out for you?

I have a feeling NPR may be busy over the next few years.

When they get to the bottom of it, maybe they will remember that sometimes the old ways are best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcO4MMzdYE8

Rich
On a list somewhere

Postby Rich » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:02 pm

Evidently this is what may happen when you certify the process and not the result. ;)
A weak government usually remains a servant of citizens, while a strong government usually becomes the master of its subjects.

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:41 am

Depending on where some of that metal ended up in the airframes, there may be fuck all they can do about it.

HTRN
Probably Unemployed

Postby HTRN » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:31 am

For those who are interested, Netflix is going to release their Punisher series on November 17th.

MarkD
Active Shooter

Postby MarkD » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:15 pm

I saw today that the first Playboy Playmate after Hef died will be a transgender "woman".

Sigh.

Jericho941

Postby Jericho941 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:25 pm

MarkD wrote:I saw today that the first Playboy Playmate after Hef died will be a transgender "woman".

Sigh.

who gives a sandy buttfuck

oh no the moral degenerates are coming for my pornography! Time to be sad because I have to stop pretending I'm not just another disgusting rat in the same dirty ditch

MarkD
Active Shooter

Postby MarkD » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:18 pm

Jericho941 wrote:
MarkD wrote:I saw today that the first Playboy Playmate after Hef died will be a transgender "woman".

Sigh.

oh no the moral degenerates are coming for my pornography! Time to be sad because I have to stop pretending I'm not just another disgusting rat in the same dirty ditch

Obviously you don't care, ok, we've established that.

Jericho941

Postby Jericho941 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:57 pm

MarkD wrote:
Jericho941 wrote:

Sigh.

Okay, look. I'm sorry. I was disrespectful. I should have considered your feelings. In that light, I would like to express my sincerest condolences that your personal masturbation habits are not being personally catered to 24/7/365 in every piece of the mainstream anymore, a serious blow to alpha male tail-end Boomers everywhere. The last bastion of God-fearing heterosexual morality, Hugh Hefner, has passed, and with him, the dignity of a titty rag run by a man who regularly used his own personal power to all but physically force women to perform sex acts on each other while he got high and jerked off (at least, when he wasn't stopping just short of shoving Quaaludes down their throats), all the while styling himself as a civil libertarian and renaissance man.

My sympathies.

That said, print media is dying and Playboy has, like its founder, long since outlived its usefulness. If transwoman in a nudie mag bother you so much, google something else and you'll find something that perfectly caters to your fancy. In video format, no less. Often without a subscription fee.

I humbly suggest we let Playboy die with its robe-bedecked founder.

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:10 am

Jericho941 wrote:

Sigh.

All he wrote was 'Sigh' for fucks sake.

Project less. Get off your little hobby horse.

Personally I don't care all that much what people use for fap fodder, so long as it involves strictly consenting adults.

It IS, however, a sad and somewhat irritating sign of the times, that a purveyor of pr0n has joined the long list of institutions that have chosen to play politics in the usual way, to borrow a phrase, roll left and die.

You often seem to have a very difficult time accepting this, but things existed before you did. There are people who remember things, and institutions that have traditions, that predate you. Playboy being one if them. This recent development is a sad descent from even their previous 'standards', and in fact represents a degradation, in a small way, of the world that used to exist, that people used to live in, before your arrival.

Rich
On a list somewhere

Postby Rich » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:20 am

Jericho941 wrote:Hugh Hefner, has passed, and with him, the dignity of a titty rag run by a man who regularly used his own personal power to all but physically force women to perform sex acts on each other while he got high and jerked off (at least, when he wasn't stopping just short of shoving Quaaludes down their throats), all the while styling himself as a civil libertarian and renaissance man.

My sympathies.

That said, print media is dying and Playboy has, like its founder, long since outlived its usefulness. If transwoman in a nudie mag bother you so much, google something else and you'll find something that perfectly caters to your fancy. In video format, no less. Often without a subscription fee.

FWIW My former BIL went to collage with Hefner, and didn't think much of him. Evidently Hefner had a rag like Playboy in mind even way back then. Good business plan, so-so magazine.

I bought it for the articles. :roll:

MarkD
Active Shooter

Postby MarkD » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:41 pm

Jericho941 wrote:
MarkD wrote:
Jericho941 wrote:

Sigh.

Okay, look. I'm sorry. I was disrespectful. I should have considered your feelings. In that light, I would like to express my sincerest condolences that your personal masturbation habits are not being personally catered to 24/7/365 in every piece of the mainstream anymore, a serious blow to alpha male tail-end Boomers everywhere. The last bastion of God-fearing heterosexual morality, Hugh Hefner, has passed, and with him, the dignity of a titty rag run by a man who regularly used his own personal power to all but physically force women to perform sex acts on each other while he got high and jerked off (at least, when he wasn't stopping just short of shoving Quaaludes down their throats), all the while styling himself as a civil libertarian and renaissance man.

My sympathies.

I don't have a.dog in this hunt, the last issue of Playboy I bought featured a centerfold with pubic hair.

That said, the mag was.always notable for beautiful women, and many of us can recall when the standard was girl-next-door. So the magazine feminists love to hate has now.decided that XY means female if the person has had enough implants, injections and clipping.

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:19 am

MarkD wrote:
Jericho941 wrote:

Sigh.

Heh, there's also the truth in advertising angle.

You don't buy Playboy looking for teh pensu.

Weetabix

Postby Weetabix » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:04 pm

I'm getting sick of hearing about Trump. Everywhere, everyone seems to be talking about him. Hating him. Loving him. Criticizing him. Blaming him. Celebrating his tweets. Excoriating his tweets.

Good Lord, isn't there anything else to talk about?

evan price
Trigger Junkie

Postby evan price » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:11 pm

Weetabix wrote:I'm getting sick of hearing about Trump. Everywhere, everyone seems to be talking about him. Hating him. Loving him. Criticizing him. Blaming him. Celebrating his tweets. Excoriating his tweets.

Good Lord, isn't there anything else to talk about?

He's gotten inside nearly everyone's head space and that advertising would be priceless to achieve. There's a large portion of the population that practically think of nothing but trump. Can you imagine any way to do that for product placement with an unlimited budget?
Love him or hate him but Lord almighty he's good at what he is.

Rich
On a list somewhere

Postby Rich » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:37 pm

The Democrats can't seem to get over him and how to get over on him, which is what is driving the noise. I'm just laying back in my recliner and enjoying the show. If this Russia atomic thing proves to be worthy of a couple of treason trials, it will have been all worth it. 8-)

Jered

Postby Jered » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:07 am

I just had someone come by and ask if I wanted to give money to UNICEF.

I have no desire to give any money to the UN.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:28 am

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:18 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sW5_kZLjsJE

Bizzare world we are living in when I am liking what James Yeager has to say more and more, and Tim at MAC is pissing me off with his attacks on the NRA.

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:23 pm

Got to see piston-engined warbirds in action yesterday.

A local airport is home to both an EAA chapter and a wing of the CAF. They combine to host an annual event that features a B-25 and a TBM (GM-made Avenger torpedo bomber) dropping loads of pumpkins on a target. Big crowd pleaser. :)

The B-25 was always one of my favorite WW2 types. The sight, and the sound of one flying low over the crowd..... Yeah I had a good time.

randy

Postby randy » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:59 pm

Greg wrote:The B-25 was always one of my favorite WW2 types.

Then you need to make to Dayton one year in April when the AF Museum hosts a Doolittle Raid commemorative. IIRC they've had up to a dozen or so B-25s perform a flyover in the past to celebrate their "F*** You, Strong Message To Follow" special delivery message to the Imperial General Staff.

Steamforger
On a list somewhere

Postby Steamforger » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:49 pm

Greg wrote:Got to see piston-engined warbirds in action yesterday.

A local airport is home to both an EAA chapter and a wing of the CAF. They combine to host an annual event that features a B-25 and a TBM (GM-made Avenger torpedo bomber) dropping loads of pumpkins on a target. Big crowd pleaser. :)

The B-25 was always one of my favorite WW2 types. The sight, and the sound of one flying low over the crowd..... Yeah I had a good time.

I was at Selfridge back in 2008 or so and the airshow that year had a segment called "Mitchell madness". I remember it being 15 B-25s roaring by in formation several times.

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:26 am

randy wrote:
Greg wrote:The B-25 was always one of my favorite WW2 types.

Then you need to make to Dayton one year in April when the AF Museum hosts a Doolittle Raid commemorative. IIRC they've had up to a dozen or so B-25s perform a flyover in the past to celebrate their "F*** You, Strong Message To Follow" special delivery message to the Imperial General Staff.

Interesting. I read about something like that, but thought it was a one time only deal.

I tend to think Southwest Pacific low altitude brutality when I think B-25. Like the Battle of the Bismarck Sea (aka the day Goto Dengo lost the war - absolutely brilliant depiction of that event from the perspective of one particular Japanese soldier, in Neal Stephenson's Cryptonomicon) and barge busting.

Some of the low passes the pilot did were like mock strafing runs. Gave me goosebumps.

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:45 am

http://www.dailynews.com/2017/10/25/bro ... a-reports/

There's beginning to be a fairly sound argument for just eliminating this entire defective family from the gene pool.

Return to “Random”