Why Are SO MANY Women Such BAD Drivers????

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
Jericho941

Re: Why Are SO MANY Women Such BAD Drivers????

Post by Jericho941 »

At driving school they mentioned that women get lower insurance rates because there are fewer accidents with them as the driver, and insurance companies had always assumed this was because they were less likely to drive aggressively. Actually, it was because there were fewer of them on the road. Now that there are about as many women driving as men, it's evened out. If the trend continues they'll be responsible for more accidents than men.
Rich Jordan wrote:Honda.

Ick.
Probably just due to the sheer number of them on the road. Though, funny you should mention that. Back when I was driving my Prelude to work, I was stuck behind some old, beaten up POS Camaro that had the license plate frame: "Hondas are like tampons. Every pussy needs one." Well he just so happened to stop at the same store I usually picked up lunch at before heading into work, and I saw the driver.

All I can say is, wow. I hope that kid never gets into a fight because he looked like a 5'3" girl could break him in half with one punch.
tcourtplayer

Post by tcourtplayer »

I had an actuary explain it too me once about the insurance. He said it is true women actually get in more accidents then men. The reason men pay more though is because when women get in an accident its usually a fender bender or some other "minor" accident that also includes little to no injuries because of inattentiveness. When men do its usually a larger accident that totals one or more cars and causes severe injuries because we tend to "go all out" as it where and do stupid stuff like race our vehicles and such. Simply put, while women cause more accidents men (especially younger men) still cost the insurance companies more money because of the severity of the accidents.
JAG: So why do you need armor piercing ammo?
tcourtplayer: Zombies
JAG: For when they hide behind engine blocks?
tcourtplayer: Just because the movies say they will be dumb and slow doesn't make it true.
JAG: WOW!!!
drice

Post by drice »

After spending a couple weeks in England-Wales-Scotland a couple years ago, doing nothing but driving for the fun of it (~200 miles per day), I gotta believe that part of the issue is somehow cultural.

I say this because 90% of the women in UK that I encountered were better drivers than 90% of ANYONE in the U.S. Damn near everyone I saw over there drove using 10 & 2, used lights and blinkers as signals, on the M's they moved left to pass and right when lanes to the right were clear. Everything I encountered over there on the road, was light years better than over here.

I'm sure HSLD and our other friends across the pond will have a different opinion, but I believe the US in general does a terrible job of teaching people road etiquette and, as Chris said, situational awareness. Men & women combined.

There are plenty of discussions about what a shitty job Americans are doing raising their kids, and I think this is another example. The parents should be teaching their kids better skills and habits about driving. Of course, the parents in this country are abismal drivers, so I don't hold out much hope.
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

I believe we're teaching, and allowing, shorter attention spans while performing tasks, including inherently dangerous ones like driving.

When I was taught to drive, they had us looking ahead way up the road, looking under cars for feet on the other side that might dart out into traffic, watching for stray balls coming into the street, paying attention to the loose dog down the street, watching to make sure the other car is actually stopping at the sign, etc. We were taught to not take anything someone might do for granted.

Now, instead of driving defensively, it's almost offensive driving; insisting on taking the right-of-way, cutting people off, showing courtesy is displaying weakness, and "whatever I'm doing is FAR more important than anything you're doing!" If you can play Nintendo with your thumbs, you should be able to drive a car, right?

Actually, I'd really appreciate it if the traffic cops would actually start enforcing the rules of the road like driving to the right (after you pass someone, you move back over to the right), slower traffic drives in the right lane(s), driving distracted (no putting on makeup, reading the paper, etc.), accelerating to traffic speed before merging, using your signals if your movement affects other traffic, etc. You know, chicken-shit laws that really have an effect on traffic.

If we took driving seriously like they do over in Europe, we might have less problems.
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Keep in mind the old joke "Brit's think a 100 mile is far, American's think a 100 years is old".

How many people in Europe commute more than 100 miles a day to work? In the US, it's damn common. We simply spend more time in the car, and as the old saying goes "familiarity breeds contempt". It boils down to alot of European drivers are what we used to call "Sunday Drivers"

And oh, alot has to do with European attitudes in general vs. American - In Europe, the idea that we would need the governments permission to do anything, is rather obhorrent to Americans, who see driving as a right, and the driving test as a formality. Interestingly enough, I've heard from one of my friends who's coaching his current girlfriend that NJ's driving test is far harder than in New York, yet NJ has a rep(well earned at that) as the second worst drivers in the country, behind Massachuessets.

HTRN
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Greg

Post by Greg »

HTRN wrote: How many people in Europe commute more than 100 miles a day to work? In the US, it's damn common. We simply spend more time in the car, and as the old saying goes "familiarity breeds contempt". It boils down to alot of European drivers are what we used to call "Sunday Drivers"
Except that's the exact opposite of what the other person was trying to say, because here "Sunday Drivers" are the WORST drivers.

Over there driving is *much* more expensive- only those who are successful and motivated to do so drive, and when your driver pool has already undergone that degree of self-selection, of course you'll see better results on the road (or at least more skilled and attentive drivers, but they may still be homicidal lunatics, like say in Greece or Italy, heh).
Interestingly enough, I've heard from one of my friends who's coaching his current girlfriend that NJ's driving test is far harder than in New York, yet NJ has a rep(well earned at that) as the second worst drivers in the country, behind Massachuessets.
I'd have to agree that Mass drivers are rolling disasters, but NJ drivers, while bad, aren't IMO as bad as you imply. At least where I am, the worst drivers on NJ roads all have PA plates. And NJ drivers are pussycats compared to some other places where the roads really *are* pits inhabited by demons, like say Chicago or Baltimore. And try driving on or near the Beltway- the driving style there is best described as "feral".
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Greg wrote:I'd have to agree that Mass drivers are rolling disasters, but NJ drivers, while bad, aren't IMO as bad as you imply. At least where I am, the worst drivers on NJ roads all have PA plates.
As someone who has commuted on both the GSP and the NJ turnpike, both in the Northern half of the State, I respectfully disagree. :D

NJ drivers are flat out SCARY, especially on the toll roads during rushhour. I averaged one near death experience a week when I used to commute home on the Turnpike(from 16A to 11). Whenever possible, I avoid the Turnpike like the plague, using the GSP as it's not as bad, especially with the elimination of the half the toll booths.

HTRN
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

Hey, we NJ drivers aren't that bad. It's the PA drivers that just won't get out of our way. :D
Erik

Post by Erik »

Having driven through the northeast lately, including NJ, MA and PA, I have to put my vote to Hartford, CT. :o
If at all possible, I'd take wide detours around that place.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."
John Wayne