HBO's Generation Kill

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
1991A1

HBO's Generation Kill

Post by 1991A1 »

I read the book and thought it was a good read and I've watched the HBO series. The book was good in that it just recorded what happened without any political bullshit interjected into the narrative. The series started out well in that it stuck to the book well, then it seemed to go downhill a bit from there.

Has anyone else read it and watched it? What do you think?
1991A1

Re: HBO's Generation Kill

Post by 1991A1 »

Damn, I need to pay more attention! I missed your thoughts on the old forum. Can you give a brief synopsis?
Erik

Post by Erik »

I googled a little trying to see if I could find Chris' post. No luck, but I found this:
Googls cache of a forum thread at ToS
A full rebuttal of Generation Kill
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."
John Wayne
1991A1

Post by 1991A1 »

Thanks Erik.
crazylegs

Post by crazylegs »

I haven't read the entire book, just parts. I watched six of the seven episodes.

As a documentary, it is not. I'm pretty sure that the original author took some creative license with what he saw and heard (They all do) and the movie crew took even more with the script.
Its not a documentary or even close enough to properly use the tag "Based on a true story"

As entertainment, it ain't half bad. Its not as bad as many of the (other) antiwar war movies out there.

I wouldn't buy it in a box set, but I would consider Tivo'ing or recording it.
Luke 22:36
" ....But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
-Jesus Christ,
Highspeed

Post by Highspeed »

I read the book several times and really liked it. I liked it so much that when I auctioned off most of my books to raise funds for care parcels to be sent to our troops it went in the 'keep' pile.

The little f***er tricked me. I don't claim to be much of an authority on anyones military, let alone the USMC, but now I have read the rebuttals I can see I should have known better than to be taken in, because a lot of what he claims just doesn't make sense.

Journalist turns out to be giant a**hole - oh well.....
All my life I been in the dog house
I guess that just where I belong
That just the way the dice roll
Do my dog house song
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

That's disappointing. I watched the series... but I didn't pay for it. :twisted:

One thing bugs me about Griego's rebuttal, though. He doesn't seem to defend himself all that much, spending more time tearing down other Marines that were portrayed favorably. Also, on a less serious note...
IMDB: This might be the most rational board out there that is non military.
IMDB? Rational? It's like one step up from Youtube comments.
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

I found another response to Generation kill from Major Shoup: http://commentaryongenerationkill.blogs ... -kill.html

Evan Wright also responds in the comments.