David Drake RIP

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
randy

David Drake RIP

Post by randy »

David Drake has passed away.

https://david-drake.com/

I got to meet David once, a book signing at a store I used to work at.. I was actually working at another job by that time, but came in specifically to work this event. I also got some time to speak to him one on one in the break room before the event. Besides both being vets, we are also both alumni of the University of Iowa. He signed my book "to a former fellow Hawkeye".

I found him a little intimidating in that I had to work to keep up with him given his knowledge of so many things.

That's me standing next to him. A lot of authors came through the store while I worked there, but he's the only one that I truly got excited about meeting.

RIP sir, thanks for the hours of entertainment and the thoughts and research it provoked.
DDRAKEdayton.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Captain Wheelgun

Re: David Drake RIP

Post by Captain Wheelgun »

He will be missed by anyone who loved good science fiction or fantasy, He had a unique way of turning ancient history into cutting-edge sci-fi that few have matched and none so far have exceeded.
"What is this, the Congress Avenue Independence Day Parade?" - Capt. Karl von Stahlberg, RTN
Republic of Texas Navy Archives
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Wasn't he I'll for awhile?
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
randy

Post by randy »

HTRN wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:44 pm Wasn't he I'll for awhile?
Yes. He had stated some time ago that he had quit writing novels due to health, and it turns out that he had been suffering a series of mini-strokes.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

A great loss.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!