Alt-history writing project

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
randy

Re: Alt-history writing project

Post by randy »

Magic Brownies

I've lost track of what the Texans are issuing for their front line. (will re-read all the books when the next one comes out), but as this is a militia armory I would assume that they are stocked with the next to the latest (i.e. hand me downs from the regulars)? Especially since they were never envisioned to support expeditionary ops.

I doubt any Texan would feel outgunned with a Winchester in his hands.

And Bren Guns, no matter what variant or what you call them, are always a crowd pleaser.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Captain Wheelgun

Post by Captain Wheelgun »

randy wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:43 pm Magic Brownies

I've lost track of what the Texans are issuing for their front line. (will re-read all the books when the next one comes out), but as this is a militia armory I would assume that they are stocked with the next to the latest (i.e. hand me downs from the regulars)? Especially since they were never envisioned to support expeditionary ops.

I doubt any Texan would feel outgunned with a Winchester in his hands.

And Bren Guns, no matter what variant or what you call them, are always a crowd pleaser.
The M1925A bolt-action is the current front-line issue. It’s a 1917 Enfield (Texas bought the tooling when Remington closed the Eddystone plant after WW1) with the action shortened to the appropriate length for the .300 Savage round (47.5 mm case length), a 20” barrel, and detachable magazine. Picture a 1917 crossed with a Lee-Enfield Jungle Carbine.

Since it was adopted in 1925 there’s been enough time for most of the county militias to have converted over to it. Grimes County was running behind on that, which is why they still had the Winchesters in stock.

The rifle may be changing for book 4, though. Hmmm, a shortened, box mag Garand, or something more radical… :twisted:
"What is this, the Congress Avenue Independence Day Parade?" - Capt. Karl von Stahlberg, RTN
Republic of Texas Navy Archives
tfbncc

Post by tfbncc »

" Picture a 1917 crossed with a Lee-Enfield Jungle Carbine."

Perhaps Texas could hire John Browning before his death in 1926 to re-design the BAR into a lighter, shorter version suitable for an infantryman?

Ray
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

tfbncc wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:54 am " Picture a 1917 crossed with a Lee-Enfield Jungle Carbine."

Perhaps Texas could hire John Browning before his death in 1926 to re-design the BAR into a lighter, shorter version suitable for an infantryman?

Ray
Or add belt feeding to make it into a GPMG, getting a jump on the FN-MAG.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Captain Wheelgun

Netpackrat wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:33 am
tfbncc wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:54 am " Picture a 1917 crossed with a Lee-Enfield Jungle Carbine."

Ray
Or add belt feeding to make it into a GPMG, getting a jump on the FN-MAG.
Ray, this takes place in 1940, so it’s a little late for requests to St. John of Ogden.

NPR, Their current LMG is a version of the ZB-26, similar to the Bren Gun. However, they may be getting a close look at some pre-production MG-42s though. :twisted:
"What is this, the Congress Avenue Independence Day Parade?" - Capt. Karl von Stahlberg, RTN
Captain Wheelgun

Snippet deleted. See post for December 20, 2023 for details.
Last edited by Captain Wheelgun on Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Wheelgun

Thanks for your patience everybody.

Book 3 of the ‘Republic of Texas Navy’ series, ‘Texas in the Med’ should go live on or about December 24, 2023.

This means that all of the posts containing snippets will need to be deleted. Amazon is a jealous publisher.

Thank you all for helping me get this one out the door. Hopefully book 4 won’t take quite so long to complete.
Captain Wheelgun

Correction: It’s alive!!!

https://a.co/d/g7nzkYE
randy

Post by randy »

Hit the One-Click. Now have to go back and re-read the first couple.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
randy

Post by randy »

Re-read the first 2 and finished #3 last night.

Only 2 nits to pick:

1. You kept me up WAY too late as I lost track of time reading.

2. You are not already taking my money for the next one

:mrgreen: